Warner to join Paramount in going HD DVD only?

AH- good article. So the PS3 is in fact -live compatible, since it has the hard disk for persistent storage. I can't imagine Sony not activating more features with future firmware updates.

The PS3 also has two video decoders and the memory is 512. Just because it is split between the CPU and the Graphics chip does not mean that there is only 256k - either chip has access to both memory blocks of 256k. And lets not forget the sprees -- 7 of them and each has 128k. The PS3 has to be looked at differantly then a normal computer or dvd player. There is just to much going on with the Cell CPU and how the bus is set up for communication between the memory chips and the Cell and Graphics CPU.

As for BD-Java this XMAS Disney already is bring out in CARS from Pixar providing an amazing display of BD-Java.:

Disney Blu-ray™

I like the idea of not only guessing what cars we are looking at (playing a game while the movie plays is cool) but I also like the idea of playing director. I don't know how all this is going to play out but on one of Sony's titles ( I believe it was the one with Robin Williams - RV) you could activate the animated menu while the movie was playing and do selections. My understanding is that this did not work will all players but it worked fine with the PS3.

If Disney brings out this title before XMAS (Supposed to street 2nd week of November) then there must be at least one BD player BD-Java compliant. Also, if Sony does what they have already said and put out a big update for the PS3 in October (supposed to be DTSHD-Master support and complete BD-Java compatibility - allowing the XMB to be accessed no matter what you are doing over the top of what you are doing--everyone really wants this one) and that is a big IF then the PS3 is gonna be a very hot ticket this XMAS.

Ahh; I view persistent as something along the lines of flash memory; ala the HD-DVD players.

HD as "persistent"memory is great; right up until the hard drive fails :D

Cheers,

Hmm, Sony seems to have left the backup feature off the menu for the PS3. I wonder how long it will be before there is demand for backing up the PS3. You could lose so many valuable game file saves, and interactive BD save sessions :eek: !

Seriously, it seems ironic that so far the PS3 might be the only player able to be upgraded to every proposed spec so far. Hard to believe there is a market for the higher priced BD players.

Ahh; I view persistent as something along the lines of flash memory; ala the HD-DVD players.

HD as "persistent"memory is great; right up until the hard drive fails :D

Cheers
John, when was the last time you had a hard drive failure? And do you not count memory cards in your equation? And what makes you think that there are no BD players with flash memory -- just where do you think the updates to firmware is being held? You actually believe that this is all that is held there?

Last edited:
Hmm, Sony seems to have left the backup feature off the menu for the PS3. I wonder how long it will be before there is demand for backing up the PS3. You could lose so many valuable game file saves, and interactive BD save sessions :eek: !
First, who said that the PS3 was the ONLY player on the market currently that could be upgraded to every proposed spec? Who said you could not back up the hard drive on the PS3?

Seriously, it seems ironic that so far the PS3 might be the only player able to be upgraded to every proposed spec so far. Hard to believe there is a market for the higher priced BD players.

Just for you Mike:

http://www.ebonne.com/sm/PS3-service-manual.pdf

Maybe you should recheck your sources mike.

John, when was the last time you had a hard drive failure?

Between my machine, my wife's machine and my step daughter's machine about 1 drive annually. Yes; it is that frequent. My last failure was about 3 or 4 months ago with my wife's machine. Rather than spend the money to fix the drive; they (she works for a law firm) replaced the laptop as her old one was getting a little long in the tooth. I lost a drive last June (2006); but I upgraded drives on my laptop in December of last year for a larger and faster spindle.

Anyone that actually knows systems knows that it's always a question of when not if a drive will fail. I am not counting my RAID for media storage (8 drives) or my test systems (another 7 drives) that I work with at home in those failures.

And do you not count memory cards in your equation? And what makes you think that there are no BD players with flash memory -- just where do you think the updates to firmware is being held?

None that meet the spec of 1GB of persistent storage. Firmware upgrades are usually around 50-100MB; and they give away more flash storage than that at trade shows.

You actually believe that this is all that is held there?

I know more than I reveal.

Just for you Mike:

http://www.ebonne.com/sm/PS3-service-manual.pdf

Maybe you should recheck your sources mike.

It's great if you're upgrading drives. Most people in the real world don't back up their drives and by the time they realize they should do so; it's too late.

Tell me how the overwhelming majority of people that don't backup in anticipation of failure are going to recover the data that isn't backed up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)