Yankees Sign Teixeira

You're getting all tied up in semantics. Expect/assured...jeez, stop arguing about words. You have no idea what Yankees fans are feeling, since you aren't one.

And typing in caps like you're yelling does nothing to prove your point, Stephen A. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Get out of the '90s!! Caps do not necessarily mean yelling....It ALSO means to enfisize on a particular word or part of a sentence. But I am sure you knew this.;)

And the Rays and Phillies with record low TV ratings is good for baseball?

Sandra

Those numbers are not as important as you make them to be because the TV contracts are for multiple years and do not depend on how could one year is and how good another isn't. In the end, they balance out. EITHER WAY, MLB get's their TV money and advertisers will pay out the money to put their adds during the World Series.

Besides, you said yourself....'numbers mean nothing', if I do recall....:rolleyes:

Those numbers are not as important as you make them to be because the TV contracts are for multiple years and do not depend on how could one year is and how good another isn't. In the end, they balance out. EITHER WAY, MLB get's their TV money and advertisers will pay out the money to put their adds during the World Series.

Besides, you said yourself....'numbers mean nothing', if I do recall....:rolleyes:

Spin it any way you like...but ratings do matter to MLB, and the ratings were terrible.

Sandra

Spin it any way you like...but ratings do matter to MLB, and the ratings were terrible.

Sandra

ROFLMAO!!!!:haha:haha:haha OHHHHHHH....I get it! So when YOU point out numbers, they matter, but if someone ELSE points them out.....they don't mean anything and they are "spin"???!! How deliciously hypocritical.....:rolleyes:;)

Statistics can be used to say pretty much anything you want.

Ring a bell....:rolleyes:

Since when did Salsa and Sandra start trading barbs at one another?

No barbs on my side. I counter. Simple as that. As opposed to some in here that kiss her a$$, and I will call her out on certain things like she has called me out. But when she has called others out, they tucked their tails between their legs and scampered away....I won't. But as MY policy goes, I do not put ANYONE on ignore because I might miss something really stupid said...and that is way too good to pass up.:D

The numbers are actually quite important. While the contract to carry the games runs for many years, the amount charged for the commercials is DIRECTLY related to the previous years ratings. Additionally, many advertisers are 'guaranteed' a certain rating, and if that rating is not achieved they get back money or are given additional complimentary spots on the network. So while you think incorrectly that ratings are not important, they certainly are.

The numbers are actually quite important. While the contract to carry the games runs for many years, the amount charged for the commercials is DIRECTLY related to the previous years ratings. Additionally, many advertisers are 'guaranteed' a certain rating, and if that rating is not achieved they get back money or are given additional complimentary spots on the network. So while you think incorrectly that ratings are not important, they certainly are.

He thinks ratings are unimportant because they dont' fit his argument.

Sandra

I guess you can't tell the difference between TV ratings and the baseball statistics you were quoting.

Sandra

I am goin strictly on YOUR comments. Ratings ARE Stats.....!! But I guess turnabout is not fair play when it comes to you saying it huh? Sucks when people throw you own words in your face doesn't it....:D

I also agree with Sandra's philosophy on ratings importance to sports.

Look at the NBA-In a 16-year stretch from 1982-1998, NBA Finals ratings were solid and never went below double-digits. Those Finals mainly featured Magic, Bird, Dr. J, and MJ.

Now, look at the ratings horrors that the San Antonio Spurs have wreaked on the Finals.

Their 2007 sweep of Cleveland got the lowest-ratings EVER. (Trust me, HD- the Cavs were NOT the reason. It's Duncan and the Boring Squad that kills interest).

I have always felt that certain teams can help ratings (This year's Cowboys) or hurt them (See the Spurs)

I agree with you to a certain extent that rating ARE important, but when it comes to negociating the NEXT contract as far as promises made. But the you cannot promise you will get a Red Sox vs. Dodgers or a Yankees vs. White Sox World Series every year now will you? So therefore, when the contracts are signed and the checks mailed to the networks....all bets are off as far as what is promised because you cannot guarantee huge ratings...the MLB HQ can only hope. In the end, they have their money....

I also agree with Sandra's philosophy on ratings importance to sports.

Look at the NBA-In a 16-year stretch from 1982-1998, NBA Finals ratings were solid and never went below double-digits. Those Finals mainly featured Magic, Bird, Dr. J, and MJ.

Now, look at the ratings horrors that the San Antonio Spurs have wreaked on the Finals.

Their 2007 sweep of Cleveland got the lowest-ratings EVER. (Trust me, HD- the Cavs were NOT the reason. It's Duncan and the Boring Squad that kills interest).

I have always felt that certain teams can help ratings (This year's Cowboys) or hurt them (See the Spurs)

But she is contradicting herself with her phrase of "you can spin stats to mean anything" because ratings ARE STATS. The ONLY differences are one tells you batting average and the other tells you how many people are watching....plain and simple...same thing, two different words.

But of course, I am "spinning" this.....:rolleyes:

But she is contradicting herself with her phrase of "you can spin stats to mean anything" because ratings ARE STATS. The ONLY differences are one tells you batting average and the other tells you how many people are watching....plain and simple...same thing, two different words.

But of course, I am "spinning" this.....:rolleyes:

Where is Iceberg when we need him? :rolleyes:

Sandra

Can't you all just get along ...
It's been going on for quite some time now.
That IS one reason why I stepped out of the forum for awhile, too much bickering back and forth.
You come in to see what opinions are being shared at the time and find the same thing day after day .....

What is the topic in this thread again ?

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts