1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

I have a Dish 500. I can get a second dish pointed at 61.5 installed for free, because we have two locals on that dish. So I called to find out and was told I will need a Dish 1000 to receive any new HD channels. I thought I had read somewhere I may be able to get the new HD channels on 61.5. Does anyone know this answer for certain?

new channels will be on both 129 and 61.5, because not veveryone can see 129 (like me)

BFG said:
how far away is the mountain?
The mountain only comes out of the ground a bit, the satellite is way in the sky.
I've seen dishes peaked in the allyways of 3-4 story apartments so the signal will come down pretty close

Well I guess it really depends on the elevation needed. The only way to find out would be to have an installer check the signal. I'm gonna wait April, get one 811 swaped out for a 211, and have them check to see if getting 61.5 is even possible!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is my feeling what is going on. I know for a fact on February 1st there won't be more then a handfull of 622's available.

What would a handful mean.

Hey guys

Remember, all of the HD we care about will be over the first week in Feb (Superbowl). For those who are interested in the Olympics that will be over by March. Then, there's nothing compelling until late summer. So, chill out, there's plenty of time to let the dust settle.

To reiterate: there won't be anything interesting on ESPN2 until September. Who cares about the 5 VOOM channels that they are adding. I realize that a couple of you are coming unglued by the FOOD Channel and HGTV, but I'll keep my guy card and pass. We have lots of time to figure out what's going to happen and what it's going to cost. This is good timing on Dish's part. Suppose they had set the changeover for Dec 15th, 05?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Fine Living launches tommorow on Dish Network (I believe they said the top 120 package)

They are coming out with a Family Package with about 20 channels for $19.99 a month without locals or $24.99 a month with locals.

Can you list the channels? Unlike cable making you get their basic tier then the family-tier, looks like DISH is offering the family-tier alone if you want it. Okay, $5 more for locals, not bad, $25 per month. Good numbers for DISH, a $1 per channel!

The list?

OK, so after Feb 1st all new customers are only getting MPEG 4 boxes right? And if a new customer wants an HD DVR and has the standard 4 room install then they would need the 622 and the non-DVR 2 tuner MPEG 4 receiver (sorry can't remember the number now - 222? or something) and they end up with 2 MPEG 4 receivers. Right? So a new customer would be charged $299 for the 622 and get the other box free? So I guess we have to all be new customers again? If you know what I'm saying. . .

oldbob said:
Hey guys
Remember, all of the HD we care about will be over the first week in Feb (Superbowl). For those who are interested in the Olympics that will be over by March. Then, there's nothing compelling until late summer. So, chill out, there's plenty of time to let the dust settle.
To reiterate: there won't be anything interesting on ESPN2 until September. Who cares about the 5 VOOM channels that they are adding. I realize that a couple of you are coming unglued by the FOOD Channel and HGTV, but I'll keep my guy card and pass. We have lots of time to figure out what's going to happen and what it's going to cost. This is good timing on Dish's part. Suppose they had set the changeover for Dec 15th, 05?

Point taken, but quite of few of us around here are truly jonesing for UHD and some of their HD shows/sports coverage.

Yup I wanna watch Team Canada / USA and other Olympic Hockey teams on Universal HD!

Last edited:
deuces said:
I have a Dish 500. I can get a second dish pointed at 61.5 installed for free, because we have two locals on that dish. So I called to find out and was told I will need a Dish 1000 to receive any new HD channels. I thought I had read somewhere I may be able to get the new HD channels on 61.5. Does anyone know this answer for certain?
If Dish will pay the cost of upgrading your 500 to a 1000, then I say let them. But make sure they keep the 61.5 in the system as well. That way you will be covered, as am I, with 61.5/110/119/129. So no matter what last-minute transponder changes they make, you should not have any issue. And the 1000 is not much larger than your present 500.

They have to keep 61.5 because there are several markets, with the majority in the top 40 that, that are out of 129's footprint

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good question, if a customer subscribes to HD locals will they still get the SD locals as well, the answer is YES they will get whatever locals are available to them. In fact if the customer has a mpeg4 receiver and HD locals are in their area they willl get them automatically and for no extra charge.
I live in LA and subscribe to NY distant nets (had to make the choice between locals or distants last year). Any ideas of what my HD network choices will be?
Can I get NY HD nets?
Will I have the opportunity to get LA nets in HD and keep my NY SD nets?
Have both NY and LA nets in HD?
Does the law coming into effect in June have any bearing on my questions?
I get CBS HD via Dish but with the exception of NBC, OTA digital is non existent around here (I have a CM 4228 with preamp). No EPG data for NBC digital because of my NY distants choice.

RVD420 said:
Six months is a bit much. I bet Dish is hoping to have MPEG4 going properly within 30-60 days.
I Could see giving a Free Preview to MPEG2 box owners until the tech chat in March.

We don't need to get into semantics of how long the preview should be. The bottom line is if they can't upgrade all of our equipment then they should at least let us preview the new channels with our old equipment.

Those MPEG-2 HD receivers you are going to trade in for your new leased on is probably going to be used for ExpressVu in which is still using MPEG-2. Dish Network will probably do the same with the current MPEG-2 SD receivers we use today, sell those to ExpressVu as well. Dish Network can profit pretty good from that. There will be plenty of SD receivers available for them when that happens.

I wonder if the Family Package is going to have those shopping and public interest channels in it (and if the channel count was including some of those types of channels) or if those are going to be in addition to the 20. Dish Network will probably advertise the family package in the future as more channels but then again Dish Network may not want this package to be too attractive. The DVR fee may be $10 instead of $5 as well if you order this package.

oldbob said:
Hey guys

You can't apply your own viewing habits to everyone here. I like baseball on ESPN2, I would like the other 5 VOOM channels, and I love the Food network. So just because you do not want these channels a lot of us do. Everyone has different prefrerences in channels. It is quite ludicrous to say it does not matter. For your preferences it does not matter, for others it matters plenty.

BFG said:
Yup I wanna watch Team Canada / USA and other Olympic Hockey teams on Universal HD!

I thought in the Charlie Chat they said the Winter Olympics will be broadcast in MPEG-2 in HD free of charge.

oldbob said:
Hey guys
To each his own...
For all of the NHRA fans out there including myself, there are 23 national events consisting of approximately 6 hours of HD programming per event on ESPN2HD, with the first event starting Feb. 9th. Most likely additional gearhead related programming will slide over to the deuce from ESPNHD this summer.
For sci-fi fans there are BSG reruns in HD on UHD. (maybe even the Stargates)?
Don't forget the WAF factor... my wife's favorite channel is HGTV. She has no clue that it will be available in HD yet and I may not mention it until I can secure a 622 at a reasonable price and time frame.

There seems to me just scratching the surface in my household, plenty of compelling content on the new HD offerings...

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is my feeling what is going on. I know for a fact on February 1st there won't be more then a handfull of 622's available.
This has to be one of the worst decisions E* has ever made. Then again, maybe not :rolleyes: Come on E*, deliver all the damn HD channels using MPEG-2, until you have enought 622s for the existing HD subs :mad:

Last edited:
Lucky said:
We don't need to get into semantics of how long the preview should be. The bottom line is if they can't upgrade all of our equipment then they should at least let us preview the new channels with our old equipment.

I agree with you there. As long as Dish is limiting the MPEG4 receivers to 1 per household they should allow Current MPEG2 HD box owners to get all the new National HD offerings.