1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

Man all I can say is that im glad NOT to be a existing customer! Ive been waiting for this for months.. I think im better off being a New E* Customer! Bring on the Dish 1000 and the 622!

Sean Mota said:
No.

I do not know what the heck this means.

Limit 1 HD Receiver Per Transaction
Limit 1 upgrade per 12 month period
Limit 2 tuners per transaction.
you may upgrade to dual tuner HD receiver....that is the 2 tuner upgrade.....however the dual tuner receivers output hd only to the primary tv(tuner #1) tuner #2 output is SD only........so to get a dual tunerHD receiver is pointless if your secondary tv is also hi def

From what I am hearing they are cutting the retailer commissions on additional receivers. So they cut retailers and raise it on the consumer for the MPEG-4 HD receivers. A little here, a little there. It's realling adding up. Dish is really starting to pinch these pennies again.

If you see retailers starting to charge more for additional room installations or the quality of installations get worse now you will know why.

Jimmy J said:
Well now I'm really screwed! On top of leasing two 811 and only being to upgrade one of them, I did a point dish check to see where I would have to point an additional dish for 61.5, From my location I'd have to point the second dish due south fo my house....THERE'S A FRIGGIN MOUNTAIN THERE!!! So now I'm completely SOL. The only SATS I'll ever be able to get is 110/119. So, unless any new HD programming is placed on those birds, I'm DONE!!!

Your elevation is 38 degrees, azimuth is 179 degrees..that mountain would have to be right on top of you for it to block LOS for 61.5
Wallingford,VT zip 05742? is this correct?

BobMurdoch said:
It's allocation time just like the XBox360. One to a customer until they feel that supply and demand get closer to equilibrium (wow, dusted off that Economics degree for that word). It's not that bad when you think about it... Which is worse, having an early adopter get 5 and be happy, while 4 others get stuck on a preorder list for months? They just need to explain it better.
All they have to say is this....
"We apologize that this transition to Mpeg4 may be painful to some. Our factories are working around the clock to produce as many boxes as we can but there are 12 million subscribers active with multiple boxes on average per household, and many will be clamoring for new equipment as quickly as possible. We announced the new channels to best market our service to compete with offerings from other providers. At this time we will be limiting PVR upgrade pricing to one per account in an effort to suppress demand until everyone who wants one in their household has a chance to have at least one before we open the program to all HD receivers. We ask for your patience during this difficult time as the inconveniences will be temporary while the improvements will be permanent. The bandwidth savings that we achieve from this systemwide upgrade will enable us to offer more channels at higher quality than we could achieve otherwise. We apologize that we can't satisfy you all today, but for the first time in our history we are attempting a massive upgrade that will eventually affect every household, and for competitive reasons we felt that this was the best time to initiate these changes. Thank you for understanding...."
Is THAT so hard?
I will be volunteering to help charlie out with his little supply problem once my nhl center ice subscription runs out this spring by dropping e* and switching over to fios tv...

dishcomm said:
.......so to get a dual tunerHD receiver is pointless if your secondary tv is also hi def

Amen to that! Having two 811's myself, I can only uprade one of them in a years time. The second will make it's way to the gun range!!!

dishcomm said:
Your elevation is 38 degrees, azimuth is 179 degrees..that mountain would have to be right on top of you for it to block LOS for 61.5
Wallingford,VT zip 05742? is this correct?

05773, and those were the #'s I got as well when checking the point dish locale for 61.5

This is how I see Dish Rating their customers

Dumb
Dumber
Dumbest

Damn, retards.
Hell if Charlie carrys on like this he won't have any customers to worry about upgrading.

Jimmy J said:
Amen to that! Having two 811's myself, I can only uprade one of them in a years time. The second will make it's way to the gun range!!!
You can upgrade both 811, you will just have to buy the second one, rather then leasing it.

RobertsD said:
You can upgrade both 811, you will just have to buy the second one, rather then leasing it.

I refuse to BUY any equipment!!! I'll take my "ONE" upgrade with a nominal fee of course, then wait a year, then upgrade the other! Sounds ridiculous, but if it's what it takes then that's what I'll do. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to placed in a position where I'm forced to purchase equipment to recieve programming that I'll already be paying for!

Besides, a years time between the upgrades is hardly enough time for E* to work out all the kinks they're going to run into for this whole MPEG4 transition anyway.

So then we all agree, Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste just like regular Dr. Pepper...

Sorry, I just read all 22 pages and before I go to ram my head into the wall I felt like posting. Amazing what you miss in the afternoon's around here...

Purogamer said:
So then we all agree, Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste just like regular Dr. Pepper...

Sorry, I just read all 22 pages and before I go to ram my head into the wall I felt like posting. Amazing what you miss in the afternoon's around here...

10-4 on that !!!!!

griftnet said:
Problem solved... I can see a bunch of broken receivers in the near future

In that case, the second law of Erganomics applies:
They'll replace it with a "refurb'd" 811 [either one of the returned units or one picked up cheap on eBay]. And since it'll be after Feb. 1st, they won't authorize it.
Definately fits the new slogan of: Less programming for More money! ;-)

---

However it's tricky for E* since they are in the middle -- they don't create the programming, they just "slice, dice, and deliver." So they are squeezed by us the consumers as well as their suppliers.

Personally I'd rather have "DVR" friendly programming: i.e. full 1920x1080i quality with fewer repeats. Hey the DVR has two tuners and is built for timeshifting -- go for it.

Enter "DVR math": 3 hour blocks that repeats 8 times a day is only 3 hours of "unique" programming. 3/24 = 12.5% "unique content". Similarly, 2 movies (avg. length 2 hours each) repeating 6 times a day is 4/24 or 16.7% "unique content".

Let's do the math:

Charlie math: 200 hours of HD programming
DVR math: 15% (avg) * 200 hours = 30 hours of "unique" HD programming
at HD-lite or 1280/1920 or 66.7% --> 20 hours "unique, Full-Res HD content".

200 or 20.... 200 or 20... 200 or 20... 200 or 20... who you gonna believe?

Ok this is this week, wait 'til you see the marketing schemes they are planning to offer next week! By April Fools day, only a fool will be with E* I'm going back to something simple like translating time code tags on non-synchronous video clips! That should give my head a rest after trying to understand what all this is about!

I suppose after reading all 22 pages of posts, I actually believed I would receive enlightenment with the next post. What was I thinking?

The 942 and the ViP622 look almost identical. In fact, the front is identical, and the rear of the ViP622 only adds composite & s-video output for the primary TV set, and an ethernet (or at least RJ-45) port.

So with the two USB ports and the Cardbus slot, **WHY** can't they just send us an external add-on or card to upgrade the 942 and 921 receivers to MPEG-4? Why do they have these expensive expansion capabilities on the devices if they NEVER use them?!

I can tell you right now that my wife already doesn't like the amount we pay for the AT120 + HD Pak with the leased 942... I think if I even wait till April for the $99 upgrade to the ViP622 she'll still kill me, or at least divorce me, because of the monthly increase in price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)