1/27/2010 4:04pm - Uplink Activity Report - 27 changes

They will be moved back to 61.5 before launch... They are testing out the additional transponders at 72.7 that they recently took over. :)

At least 3 HD channels appear to be added to the PR HD Pak soon. A no brainer for Charlie, subs from Puerto Rico should have access to every HD channel on 110. I hope folks at Dish don't change their mind. :)

I haven't seen it on the uplink report, but 5253 KWYBD (Butte/Bozeman, MT-Fox) showed up in my guide some time in the last couple days. I switched to it and it was in 16:9 format so I am hopeful Fox is not available in HD for my local DMA. Strange thing was that the SD channel has program information but the HD channel did not. Is this something that will show up over the next couple days?

This is interesting because I called the other day (Monday I think) to complain about this channel being broadcast OTA in HD, but not in HD on their network. Then a couple days later it shows up.

I haven't seen it on the uplink report, but 5253 KWYBD (Butte/Bozeman, MT-Fox) showed up in my guide some time in the last couple days. I switched to it and it was in 16:9 format so I am hopeful Fox is not available in HD for my local DMA. Strange thing was that the SD channel has program information but the HD channel did not. Is this something that will show up over the next couple days?

This is interesting because I called the other day (Monday I think) to complain about this channel being broadcast OTA in HD, but not in HD on their network. Then a couple days later it shows up.

That one went active on 1/20 on last weeks report.

Nothing for Alaska and Hawaii unless they let us watch CI, but they didn't add it to our channel range.

if they are going to move the channels from 72 to 61 before let me launch, doe that mean we will not see any thing new next week? will it be a week to move and then another to lite up?

It wouldn't show up in the uplink reports since it wasn't a table change, but I noticed very recently that Dish has finally opened up the bitrates on the 72.7W transponders with only SD channels. Since Nimiq 5 went online, many of the SD channels were sitting in transponders with 12-13 Mbps of null PIDs, holding the channels down to the same bitrates they had before the 8PSK upgrade. Now that the bitrates are being allowed to fill out the transponders more, there is an increase of about 40-50% in the video bitrate per channel. Too bad the video is still 480x480 and going through Dish's flattening detail-reducing filter. They can do far better than that with H.264, especially now. Here's hoping that more changes for the better are coming.

Sorry if this was reported elsewhere and I missed it. :)

Also, during the past week Epix was in-the-clear on 61.5W as 1440x1080i. It had no table entry (ch. 4835 showed as being removed in the 1/20 uplink report) but the PIDs remained there for at least 5 days and are gone now. The channel is supposed to be 720p so I imagine Dish was just playing around. Time will tell I suppose.

They should overcompress the SD channels that have HD counterparts, and lessen the compression of the SD channels without HD counterparts. :D

That idea would screw over SD only customers.

There are more SD only subs than there are HD subs.

What Dish should do is swap everyone to mpeg4 boxes that can downrez HD to SD.

Then eliminate SD channels what have a HD counterpart.

It might cost more $$$ upfront, but it will reduce wasted bandwidth.

But then you will get people that will bitch that their SD image has black bars on top or bottom, is stretched so people look fat, or some of the image (top and bottom) is missing, particularly those crawls on ESPN's or news channels.