1/27/2010 4:04pm - Uplink Activity Report - 27 changes

4135 - TMP10 [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 23 ConUS beam (NA)
4135 - TMP10 [MPEG4 HD] added to Nimiq5 72.7W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)
4153 - TMP63 [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 20 ConUS beam (NA)
4153 - TMP63 [MPEG4 HD] added to Nimiq5 72.7W TP 03 ConUS beam (NA)
4185 - TMP60 [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 20 ConUS beam (NA)
4185 - TMP60 [MPEG4 HD] added to Nimiq5 72.7W TP 03 ConUS beam (NA)

If the other 3 follow the same pattern then,

135= BBC America
153=Outdoor Channel
185=Hallmark Channel

which have all been rumored.

That idea would screw over SD only customers.

There are more SD only subs than there are HD subs.

What Dish should do is swap everyone to mpeg4 boxes that can downrez HD to SD.

Then eliminate SD channels what have a HD counterpart.

It might cost more $$$ upfront, but it will reduce wasted bandwidth.

They already do this with the locals on EA. When they have the channel in HD on EA, the SD feed goes away. Not sure why they don't do this on the regular channels too, but they have a bunch of bandwidth on EA for nationals now, unlike the crunch they are in for local spotbeam bandwidth.

If the other 3 follow the same pattern then,

135= BBC America
153=Outdoor Channel
185=Hallmark Channel

which have all been rumored.

Ahah! Someone finally figured out the 3 hints to the entire picture of the 6 channels. I know we've heard about them before but it is always cool to see a confirmation on the reports.

Is it safe to say that 129° will offer better HD picture quality than 61.5°?

I would assume that the number of channels per transponder on 61.5 are the same number that are per transponder on 129. I.E. if there are 8 per TP on 61.5 then there would be 8 per TP on 129.

I would assume that the number of channels per transponder on 61.5 are the same number that are per transponder on 129. I.E. if there are 8 per TP on 61.5 then there would be 8 per TP on 129.
ehhh they might be testing new encoders

Actually, i think they were loading 9 per tp. on 61.5°. From what i see there's more room for these new channels on 129°. But, i guess i'll wait until it pans out before i move my wing dish over to 129 from 61.5.

Again...

They will be moved back to 61.5 before launch... Dish is testing transponders on 72.7...

I had read that DirecTV had turned off 5 TPs at 72.7 W (72.5 W) few weeks ago but hadn't caught up on Dish testing on these same TPs since I have been on vacation. It looks like the transition of these TPs from DirecTV to Dish at 72.7 W is going exactly how I predicted when it was announced that Dish would have use of all 32 TPs at 72.7 W around the time Nimiq 5 was launched.

Wow, FSC+ HD = Awesome.

Eventually, Maybe. My understanding from other friends in the soccer community is that ESPN has an EXCLUSIVE on North American HD of live Premier League and other major foreign soccer leagues for this season. That FSC can't broadcast these events in HD, even if they could.

I could be wrong.

That said, I think soccer has the biggest qualitative difference going from SD to HD of all the sports (especially for foreign games because the SD has to go through a conversion), so I am looking forward to al live soccer on FSC being HD ... eventually.

How about epix?Whatever happened to epix being turned on?Did negotiations fall through or are they waiting for something?Did Charlie decide on we dont need that or is it Soooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?i would like to also see espn-u added

Last edited:
My understanding from other friends in the soccer community is that ESPN has an EXCLUSIVE on North American HD of live Premier League and other major foreign soccer leagues for this season. That FSC can't broadcast these events in HD, even if they could.

I don't see how they could wing that. They basically bought the sublicense for the 7:30 Sat. and 3:30 Mon. games from Setanta. Maybe Setanta had that in their sublicense, but it would be doubtful.

I must say that I have watched every ESPN EPL game this year simply because it was in HD.

How about epix?Whatever happened to epix being turned on?...

It's still in the holding pen. The TMP HD channel was moved from ch. 4835 to ch. 263 as part of the 1/20 uplink. Pretty sure the SD channel is still on ch. 292 as it was before. The wait continues...

Eventually, Maybe. My understanding from other friends in the soccer community is that ESPN has an EXCLUSIVE on North American HD of live Premier League and other major foreign soccer leagues for this season. That FSC can't broadcast these events in HD, even if they could.

I could be wrong.

That said, I think soccer has the biggest qualitative difference going from SD to HD of all the sports (especially for foreign games because the SD has to go through a conversion), so I am looking forward to al live soccer on FSC being HD ... eventually.

I go away for one day, and the result is posts like this that are so far from the truth, it is astonishing.

This post is equivalent to saying that Bill Clinton is a Reptilian Alien who was fighting the Gray Aliens, and who was taking orders from Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa.
:rolleyes: :eek:

1 - Fox has been broadcasting soccer in HD on Dish Network since the fall of 2009. They were doing it on the HD RSNs, and Dish provided an extra feed on the HD version of Channel 444 for those areas where the local RSN was not in HD (or had a press conference pre-emption).

Their plan was to launch FSC in HD on January 1st with about a half dozen EPL and Serie A matches in HD per week and Champions League in HD as well. But, just like with BBC America, no cable or satellite provider had space that they wanted to use on January 1st.

2 - Fox owns all the USA rights to Champions League, and EPL for the next several years. ESPN only has some rights to MLS. Fox leased rights to ESPN for 1-2 matches per week of EPL, and GolTV leased rights to ESPN for 1-3 matches per week of La Liga. ESPN already has HD channels (ESPN2-HD) so they broadcast the HD feed when they can get it.

3 - Setanta USA failed to make their payments to Fox for sub-leased rights to EPL and Champions League. As of March 1st, they are over. On March 1st, Fox launches their own replacement "Fox Soccer Plus" which will be in HD.

4 - FSC's studios are already setup for HD and they have access to at least 6 matches a week in HD, and all other European programming is already in 16x9 and in 576i, so it will look a lot better than SD 480i in 4x3.

PS The temp channel could be Fox Soccer Plus, and the mapdown to 149 could be a Dish Engineering mistake, since FSC and Fox Soccer Plus will have different programming.

I go away for one day, and the result is posts like this that are so far from the truth, it is astonishing.

This post is equivalent to saying that Bill Clinton is a Reptilian Alien who was fighting the Gray Aliens, and who was taking orders from Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa.

:rolleyes: :eek:

Where's Vurby and MadTown? :D

Yes,we know there was available soccer on RSN in HD,but it was too confusing.You nener knew if they gonna show something or not.Now you just press your guide and check FSC witch game they are gonna show and it will be there.The same is with espn2 now. Two weeks ago i wanted to watch spanish league and they showed stupid poker instead.(witch i never gonna understand,how can somebody watch it).
Come on Charlie,flip the switch!!!:D

The logo on the regular FSC channel (SD) right now says:

" FSC HD Live "

indicating that the SD feed is now downconverted from the HD feed...

My guess is that the announcement of " Fox Soccer Plus " as a premium channel for which Fox will receive a $$ premium, allows them to charge a more nominal fee - at least in the short term - for FSC-HD - especially for those satellite or cable providers who are willing to launch the channel earlier than others.