1.2M petal style dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I have been on the lookout for a 1.2M ku dish for a couple of years now and I will eventually find a used one. But, meanwhile since the shipping associated with new ones more often than not, cost more than the dish itself.

Would there be a technical reason not to build them in petal form similar to the 1.8M dishes instead of one piece reflectors? Shipping could be substantially less. Not enough buyers?

Agree that in most cases shipping a 1.2m costs more than the dish itself (assuming the dealer actually will ship it), am going to venture out and guess its cheaper to manufacturer a solid 1.2 rather than a 4-6 panel offset dish.

Cheers, K

I have been on the lookout for a 1.2M ku dish for a couple of years now and I will eventually find a used one. But, meanwhile since the shipping associated with new ones more often than not, cost more than the dish itself.

Would there be a technical reason not to build them in petal form similar to the 1.8M dishes instead of one piece reflectors? Shipping could be substantially less. Not enough buyers?

They do make them. About 20 grand! :eek: Google flyaway dishes. You can stick them in a backpack. Often they come with auto positioning and can find a sat in 10 minutes. Haven't found one without all the electronics. Pretty cool though!

Catamount

Non-fly away panel design dishes are less expensive to produce, but are much less accurate and require more support hardware. A single piece reflector will typically have much better performance.

An offset dish, divided in 4, 5, 6, or even 7 "petals" (parts), needs the same number (4 - 7) different dies (if stamped from sheet metal) or mould forms (if injected as plastic parts). Every part is different from other parts.
Prime focus dish has all petals identical.
Cheers, polgyver

They do make them. About 20 grand! :eek: Google flyaway dishes. You can stick them in a backpack. Often they come with auto positioning and can find a sat in 10 minutes. Haven't found one without all the electronics. Pretty cool though!

Catamount
I did google "fly away dishes", and - no luck. All hits show one-piece dish. Any link to truly segmented offset dish?

I've posted this before, there are 1.2m dishes waiting for you all over the place. But you have to make it happen. Knock on doors, ask questions, make phone calls. You get told "no" 9 times, then on the 10th they say yes. Here is a post I made of several 1.2m dishes within 10 miles of my home.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/275525-Dishes-we-have-seen-post-yours!?p=2747189#post2747189

I have been on the lookout for a 1.2M ku dish for a couple of years now and I will eventually find a used one.

Are you looking for a fixed mount or one that can be motorized?

I have seen a few of the heavy, fixed mount ones around here that look to be no longer in use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)