1/9 Charlie Chat Recap

bytre said:
Heck, if I can find my Dish 1000 receiver, maybe I can try to upgrade that!
As a 921 owner, the "upgrade" price sounds very good - if it doesn't require that I turn in my 921. If it requires that I turn in the 921 for the rebate, I can probably do a little better (than $200) on ebay, at least at the moment.

Yeah, as a 921 owner. I agree the upgrade price is good. But NOT so good for those who dished out 250 weeks ago to lease the 942. Payin 250 to rent the thing from Charlie for a couple of weeks, then having to turn around and pay another 100 to rent one that will pick up all the programming IS NOT a deal. Not in my opinion.

well, if FIOS turns out to be everything the PTB are claiming it will be when available, all my sat equipment is going into the crapper anyway...lol

LEASE sat equipment????-we don't need no stinkin' lease...

ericpd said:
Yeah, as a 921 owner. I agree the upgrade price is good. But NOT so good for those who dished out 250 weeks ago to lease the 942. Payin 250 to rent the thing from Charlie for a couple of weeks, then having to turn around and pay another 100 to rent one that will pick up all the programming IS NOT a deal. Not in my opinion.
Yeah, I agree with you. I am in the same position. Although, it is only $50 more considering the lease fee for the 622 is $299 as opposed to the $250 we paid for the 942.

Also, as for Cinemax HD and possibly Encore HD, I seem to remember (from having Voom) a ton of movies on these channels were always shown in SD when there weren't HD transfers. Especially Skinamax later at night.

I got out of the chat that you can upgrade your 921 or 942 before April and that when the rebate becomes available in April that they will give it to you. A comment was made by the guy on the right that they know (knew) who we are and would get the rebate then.

I also don't need the installation fees because I live in the area where you can't use DISH 1000, the Northeast. So hopefully I won't have to pay those fees. They can just mail it to me and I'll mail the swapped ones back.

I paid $1,000 for my 921 . Having to GIVE them this receiver and then PAY again to "upgrade" to the 622 which I will not even own is B.S.!!!!!!

I sold my HD6000 for a little more than I paid for it, but now my 921 is worth NOTHING ??? Anyone that owns their receivers should be outraged by this slap in the face .

Is the $200 rebate for current users or new users too? How long are you required to keep the HD package? If you drop the package, will they make me swap receivers?

Last edited:
From what I got out of the Charlie Chat:
If you lease, its a replacement or you can keep leasing and pay for two units.
If you own, its just an additional receiver.
Rebate, is only for existing customers with a 921 or 942

Is anyone concerned how these CSR's are going to be able to keep all of these upgrade schemes straight ? Everyone has a different setup with different model receivers. I would think that this is going to be a real nightmare.

Also how much is one charged each month for a leased receiver ? With E*'s big push to leasing equipment, non-stop yearly price increases, recurring DVR fees, it's become impossible to differentiate the difference between E* and the local cable company.

Lease Fees

For those of us who own our equipment (811, 501, 2800) and because we were 'current customers' so we paid top dollar for them (811, 501), it sounds like Charlie wants us to give up our equipment to him so we can 'lease' equipment from him (make more money).

I think the question was asked in this thread but not answered so I'll ask it again, in addtion to the new monthly basic fees, plus the addional HD fees, plus the PVR fee on the vip922 (which was not mentioned as going up), what is the monthly lease fee.

As I see it, if someone like me who has the AT120 plan with no movies or HD but with locals, is going to have their bill go up from $51.89 to $54.89. If I bite on Charlies 'lease' offer and give him my 2800 for a vip211 and keep my 811 & 501 which I'm sure will require me to upgrade to the AT120 Silver plan, my new monthy fees will be $74.89 plus lease fee. If I take it a step further and trade-in my 501 on the vip622, That $74.89 will increase by 2 lease fees plus a PVR fee. If the lease fees are $5 each and the PVR fee is $5, that will increase my monthly fees to $89.89.

Cable with HD is starting to look real good.

hemway said:
For those of us who own our equipment (811, 501, 2800) and because we were 'current customers' so we paid top dollar for them (811, 501), it sounds like Charlie wants us to give up our equipment to him so we can 'lease' equipment from him (make more money).

I think the question was asked in this thread but not answered so I'll ask it again, in addtion to the new monthly basic fees, plus the addional HD fees, plus the PVR fee on the vip922 (which was not mentioned as going up), what is the monthly lease fee.

As I see it, if someone like me who has the AT120 plan with no movies or HD but with locals, is going to have their bill go up from $51.89 to $54.89. If I bite on Charlies 'lease' offer and give him my 2800 for a vip211 and keep my 811 & 501 which I'm sure will require me to upgrade to the AT120 Silver plan, my new monthy fees will be $74.89 plus lease fee. If I take it a step further and trade-in my 501 on the vip622, That $74.89 will increase by 2 lease fees plus a PVR fee. If the lease fees are $5 each and the PVR fee is $5, that will increase my monthly fees to $89.89.

Cable with HD is starting to look real good.

I don't believe there ever has been or currently is a "lease" fee.

Can someone clear something up for me? I just started with Dish last September. I leased a 942 at that time. I understand the whole upgrade thing but am I correct in stating that unless you are living in one of those HD local cities then there is no reason to upgrade? I live in Syracuse, Ny and there will be HD locals in New York City and eventually Buffalo, but not in Syracuse. I am just trying to figure this whole thing out. I believe I am SOL and just stick with my OTA and 942 for now. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

My biggest concern is what happens if you change to these new HD bronze, etc. programming structures. I currently still get CBS/LA and supers for the $11.99 price point. I believe this pricing doesn't exist anymore, and correct me if I'm wrong, you can't get East/West distants anymore either.

So, does anyone know for sure, if you change programming, will you screw yourself out of your distants/pricing?

Sean Mota said:
Tell you what: If DirecTv has done this same deal of HD additions to their package (HD Lite or not), DirecTv subs will be dancing in the streets right now. So I understand that some of us may not be crazy about the upgrade path (me included) but no doubt that Dish is trying to push the envelop with their addition of the HD channels. This is something that E* subs waited for a long time (I am not forgetting about the HD lite channels).

As an D* sub, you just read my mind. My B-day is April 30th, so this would make the perfect present for me :) (right now I could care less about the HD-lite brouhaha, I want more content. D* needs to get on the ball here & fast:()

Lease Fees

Can somebody who is currently leasing a 942 (or any receiver) confirm that after you paid the $250 to get the 942, your bill didn't have any additional fees above and beyond the basic programming charge, HD programming charge, and additional receiver fee if applicable.

I was told when I checked on the $250 lease deal that in addition to those charges there was also an 'equipment' charge.

hemway said:
Can somebody who is currently leasing a 942 (or any receiver) confirm that after you paid the $250 to get the 942, your bill didn't have any additional fees above and beyond the basic programming charge, HD programming charge, and additional receiver fee if applicable.
I was told when I checked on the $250 lease deal that in addition to those charges there was also an 'equipment' charge.
I own one 811, two 311's, and lease one 811. The lease fee is on my statement.

AMERICA'S TOP 180 VALUE PAK WITH LOCALS 69.99
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 5.0
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 4.99
ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 4.99
NBC NETWORK-WESTERN FEED 1.5
SUPERSTATION PACKAGE KWGN 5.99
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99

scott78945 said:
Can someone clear something up for me? I just started with Dish last September. I leased a 942 at that time. I understand the whole upgrade thing but am I correct in stating that unless you are living in one of those HD local cities then there is no reason to upgrade? I live in Syracuse, Ny and there will be HD locals in New York City and eventually Buffalo, but not in Syracuse. I am just trying to figure this whole thing out. I believe I am SOL and just stick with my OTA and 942 for now. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

ALL new HD channels are in Mpeg4 only. That means ESPN2HD, Universal HD, The new Voom channels, and the Food/HGTV HD channels being added in the 2nd quarter. PLUS any HD LILs that are coming....

If you add an additional leased receiver, the monthly cost is $5.00. If you add an additional receiver that you own, the monthly cost is $4.99. The monthly cost is only 1 cent more for a leased receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)