1 HD DVR, Two Remotes (RF and IR)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brad880

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I am switching to DirecTV and I was wondering if it was possible to control the HD DVR with one IR remote and an RF remote in another room at the same time?

I will be connecting the DVR to two tvs in separate rooms (HDMI and Component). I read the manual and did a search here but it seems once you set the receiver to RF or IR, the receiver will only recognize commands in that format. If this isn't possible, I will have to go with an IR repeater for the second room.

Edit: I realize the same thing will be on both tvs, I am fine with that.

And I still don't understand this. Dish was able to accomplish mixing IR and RF. What possesed DirectV to limit the receivers to one or the other. Pure silliness to me

I will be connecting the DVR to two tvs in separate rooms (HDMI and Component).

I ran into this same problem with the same setup (HDMI and Component). My second room was just too far for me to control the DVR using the RF remote. If I were 10' closer, I think it would have worked.

So, off to Radio Shack where I bought a IR repeater for about $35-$40. Works great. However, to make this work I also had to buy another remote (eBay for less that $10).

IF you can control the DVR from your 2nd room, you might consider buying another RF remote on eBay, etc. That would also solve your problem with less money.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to go with two IR remotes with a Terk remote extender (Amazon for ~$30). This will still allow me to control the DVR with my Slingbox.

No it is component. Its not really that long either, both rooms are fairly close to one another, less than 50 feet.

Thanks for the reply. I went with HDMI for about a 35' run. Seemed simpler than component + L/R audio. Maybe next time I'll reconsider going with component. Either method is a great way to save $5 a month. In my hookup, it connected the laundry room (read wife) and my office down the hall. Works out great as we're almost never in the 2 rooms at the same time. When I tune in, I see her Home decorating show popup and when she tunes in, she sees ESPN popup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts