1 Vip722 reciever/ 2 tvs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kentcoolio

Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
south
I have 1 vip 722 reciever and 1 hd tv(living room) and 1 sd tv(bedroom). The reception is not good the sd tv. Fuzzy,snowy,etc. and the remote is frustrating to work. Any ideas on improving reception on the tv and making remote work better. Would adding an antennae, 2nd reciever, amplifier, etc help???????

For the picture, double check the cables and make sure none are damaged and all a on secure, and try unplugging the receiver (15 seconds) to reset it. For the remote, replace the batteries if you haven't. You may need a "pigtail" for the antenna on the back of your receiver to improve reception from the remote. A pigtail would be coax cable with the UHF antenna on the end of it (connected to the remote antenna port on the back of the receiver), you would extend the antenna and move it to a spot that's a bit more open so it can pick up the remote signal a bit easier.

I wrote my response as Matt was writing his. I will leave this in his hands.

Last edited:
Pigtails are still somewhat unreliable. I would say have someone look at it to check the quality of the fittings and possibly backfeed the UHF antenna, if possible to balance with picture quality.

I have a 722k. From the second tv in the bedroom I removed the coax cable. I was able to run a 24 foot composite cable (RED, WHITE ,YELLOW with RCA connectors available from Radio Shack) from the 722k DVR to the TV. This gave me a much better picture then the coax connection. Watching an HD DVR recording on the second tv is down converted to an SD picture, but the picture quality is almost as good as HD. Even watching live TV (boring, commercials) the picture quality is very good.

Pigtails are still somewhat unreliable. I would say have someone look at it to check the quality of the fittings and possibly backfeed the UHF antenna, if possible to balance with picture quality.

The pigtail made a big difference in the functionality of the TV2 remote. I ran the coax to a bookshelf about 5 feet away from the 722 and it now works perfectly.

The UHF antenna on the back of the receiver has NOTHING to do with the picture quality on TV2! The UHF antenna is ONLY for the reception of the TV2 remote control.

A short, good quality coax cable "pigtail" will allow you to reposition the antenna at different angles and can improve the reception of the Remote control signal, there is NOTHING unreliable about it.

As far as the video quality on TV2, if you can sneak a composite cable including audio (Red, Black and Yellow connectors) to your TV2, your picture quality will be superior. Any distance up to 50' is acceptable and you can purchase such a cable on Ebay, 30' for less than $5.

Using the lowest channel number possible may also help with snow on TV2, the higher the channel (frequency) the more line loss occurrs in your cable.

Keep the cable short (no coils anywhere) and use low channel numbers (21-30) if you can.

If you use a good quality coax cable for TV2 and have snow, it is NOT because of cable losses (assuming you are not using a 250' long cable).

The chances that you will find 3 adjacent empty channels in the 21-30 channel range are slim to none in most cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)