$10.00 for Locals or still free??

Tvland1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
ohio
I signed up for the top 120 package in March 2016 when locals were free..I noticed the $10 charge sometime ago..my bill shows I'm getting a credit for autopay -$10.. If I were to drop the locals now would my bill drop?? Confused because I know they change and never works in my favor..I don't think I'm going to get the package for $39...
TV
11/04/17 - 12/03/17 TV 3 Year Guarantee
America's Top 120+ (reg $64.99) 49.99
Local Channels 10.00
eAutoPay Savings 21of36 -10.00
$49.99
11/04/17 - 12/03/17 Equipment
HD Receiver 7.00
$7.00
Taxes
11/04/17 State/Local Tax (Sales) 3.40
$3.40
Surcharges
11/04/17 OH State Surcharge 0.26
11/04/17 FCC Regulatory Fee 0.03
$0.29
TV $60.68
this line is supposed to be blank
AutoPay on 11/19/17 $60.68

Short answer, you may be able to drop the locals and save $10.

Longer answer. Locals were never free. They were part of the package price and now are broken out to show a separate charge. The packages were reduced to reflect the Locals no longer being inside the package. If you look back I bet you were saving $10 off the package but when they raised prices in January/February you did not have to pay that increase because of the contract so you then went to saving $15 off the package. The regular price of that package with locals is $74.99, take out the locals and list them separately and you get the $64.99 regular price. You are saving $15 off of that, then paying $10 for locals and getting $10 off for autopay. My only hesitation is you are getting $10 off for autopay most get $5 so I don't know if your contract is different and says anything about making changes.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
You are correct..the discount went from package to autopay..I'm going to leave well enough alone since they also activated my second receiver at only $7.00....should be $14.00 because it's a VIP222..Thanks for the input

Reactions: Tampa8
You are correct..the discount went from package to autopay..I'm going to leave well enough alone since they also activated my second receiver at only $7.00....should be $14.00 because it's a VIP222..Thanks for the input
Out of curiosity, what is your first receiver, another ViP222 or a ViP211? If it is a ViP211, then you are being billed correctly, since the ViP222 would be your primary receiver with no fee. If you have two ViP222's, then you are correct that your second receiver fee is somehow being discounted, and that you might be better off leaving well enough alone.

Reactions: TheKrell
The first receiver is a 211 owned by dish..the 222 is owned by me..I tried to get the 3yr $49 price lock with my own receiver but was told I had to use their equipment..I waited about 2 months then was on CSR chat asking if the receiver had any outstanding balance..After giving them the receiver numbers the next thing I knew it was activated..I didn't even tell the to activate it but worked out ok

Reactions: pattykay
Didn't think they would use my owned receiver as primary since you have to have a leased receiver to qualify for any promotion..it shows on My Dish account that the 211Z is receiver 1 and the 222K as number 2...I'm not going to change anything now...lol

Didn't think they would use my owned receiver as primary since you have to have a leased receiver to qualify for any promotion..it shows on My Dish account that the 211Z is receiver 1 and the 222K as number 2...I'm not going to change anything now...lol
For billing purposes, the receiver with the highest fee is always treated as the primary, and the fee is waived (except for any DVR fee, which does not apply in your case with non-DVRs). As long as there is a leased receiver active on your account, whether it is the primary receiver or not, you are still meeting that term of your agreement. The order of the receivers on your online account simply shows the order in which they were activated on your account.

Good to know..thanks for the response..I'd like to exchange the 211 for a hopper3 but not exactly sure what kind of contract I would be under then..I know it's 2yr but would it be the promotion that's available now? The $59.99 month for the120+ plus $10 hopper...I doubt it since I'm not a new customer

Good to know..thanks for the response..I'd like to exchange the 211 for a hopper3 but not exactly sure what kind of contract I would be under then..I know it's 2yr but would it be the promotion that's available now? The $59.99 month for the120+ plus $10 hopper...I doubt it since I'm not a new customer
Just to be clear, you'd give up both the 211 and 222 for the Hopper. You can't mix Hopper and ViP equipment. Plus any additional TVs would require a $7/mo Joey.

I remember reading that I would need the hybrid lnb for the hopper..I own the current dish..They only installed the 211 receiver when I signed up..Is it policy now that they won't allow the mix even if I have both dishes? I use the 222 in camper quite often and only interested in the hopper so I can watch live tv with the dish anywhere app..Would come in handy at times..not interested in DVR but know only way to get live tv is with hopper sling or 722 with sling adaptor

Dang..so my 222 will be obsolete before long huh?..going to make it hard on me to use both tv's in camper...guess they figured out that hopper systems will keep the service in one location..everything else is on the way out..guess it's time to finally scrap the old 1000's and couple 6000's I've got laying around..lol

Just to be clear, you'd give up both the 211 and 222 for the Hopper. You can't mix Hopper and ViP equipment. Plus any additional TVs would require a $7/mo Joey.
He should be able to keep the 211. That and the Wally can be on the same account as a Hopper. Just tell Dish it's in an RV

Edit: Didn't see the above post before I wrote this

He should be able to keep the 211. That and the Wally can be on the same account as a Hopper. Just tell Dish it's in an RV

Edit: Didn't see the above post before I wrote this
He won’t be able to keep the 211, it is leased. You have to own 211s or Wallys to be used with a Hopper service.

So I was wrong and right at the same time, for the right and wrong reasons. :whistle

An exchange of the coin of the realm would fix that.

And umm, err, ah- some of us would say that 222 was obsolete-ish some time ago. Dish has been treating it like a red headed step child for quite some time. I doubt you could pry one out of them today, except MAYBE to replace a defective one.

An exchange of the coin of the realm would fix that.

And umm, err, ah- some of us would say that 222 was obsolete-ish some time ago. Dish has been treating it like a red headed step child for quite some time. I doubt you could pry one out of them today, except MAYBE to replace a defective one.
I got a ViP222k from Dish just last month. It was an upgrade from a 322. :)

Others on here have gotten new customer pricing with a new contract for upgrading to Hopper 3. It doesn't hurt to ask Dish about it.

Dang..so my 222 will be obsolete before long huh?..going to make it hard on me to use both tv's in camper...guess they figured out that hopper systems will keep the service in one location..everything else is on the way out..guess it's time to finally scrap the old 1000's and couple 6000's I've got laying around..lol
You could purchase two Wally receivers to replace the ViP222k. If you switch to Hopper 3, then that would be your primary receiver with a $15 DVR fee (with a $5 discount to bring it down to $10 if you get the new customer pricing) and the additional receiver fee would be the same either way: $14 for ViP222k (hypothetically) or $7 x 2 = $14 for the two Wally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)