10.4.2009 - Satellite AV Sample of the Week Contest

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Toughest would have to be my first back in the early 80's. My Dad and I took a few weeks to find a signal on the 10'. Ordered a book and had it in no time.

Toughest honestly was the first time I installed a D500 back in 97. Worked on that damn thing and couldnt get a signal. Couldnt figure out why

Then I learned about offset dishes and where I had mounted it we had an overhang over the deck so that was blocking the reception. Moved the mast about 6 inches west and got great signal

Even my 1st FTA dish install wasnt as bad as that install

the toughest install was a star choice dish in a snow storm .it was the first time i ever installed a dish got it to work .lol. :rolleyes: i got it to work and a little tweeking the next day. by it was as the say all french to me,lol.it was an experience ill never forget. but fufilling one at that.:rolleyes:

My toughest was probably today, but it wasn't that bad.

I mounted an old Dish 300 (18" w x 20" h) on a SG2100 H-H motor, did a little rough tracking with a circ LNBF, then installed a linear.

After a couple hours of tweaking I am able to get all the "usual suspect" strong Ku tps from 72W to 125W (Whitesprings @ 129W, come back!), dozens of watchable channels running in the 69%-70% range (Coolsat 6000), a few at 87%, and one feed on 72W and the Azteca mux on 93W @ 91%. :eek:

No RTV @ 83W though. ;)

I had a nice clear cool day to do this, it works amazingly well but I'd say an anemic gnat fart would knock that rig off the digital cliff. :D

Attachments

• Sat Dish 300 Linear.JPG
    Sat Dish 300 Linear.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 112
Mine was my first install. Tried to get 123w on my 1.2 meter for about three weekends strait no luck at all. tried to different lnb's. then order one from a online store tried it still no luck. Then about a month later I was reading this forum and someone said on a offset dish you have to take the offset angle from your total elevation. So I went back to work did the math and wham 41 channels and lovin it. lasted for awhile then you know the rest of that story.

My first install. A 76cm dish with motor on a chimney mount TV pole. As the one Sat AV signature block says: "this is only temporary, unless it works!" I had a hard time trying to get my true south but managed to do so after 3 hours. Having two settings for the motor and dish was strange to me as was the whole concept the first time. (You mean I can point this at something that is miles up in the sky?). I could make the TV pole plumb but the chimney mounts for the pole were a bit shakey. That said, after 3 hours I got my TS sat! Not really on the arc though. Took many more attempts to get the arc and then could go from 157W to 85W before being blocked by a tree. It worked for 3 years before the chimney mounts became so loose from bending under the stress of the motor and dish it would be blown off the arc repeatedly. Now I'm using an undersized rafter mount! It's only temporary! Thanks for a fun contest!

Contest is now closed. Thank you for your entries!

Our staff will choose the winner of the two multi-switches from the qualified entries and we post later today.

We look forward to your entries for our next Satellite AV Sample of the Week contest!

Congratulations to Migold! Winner of the two cascading LZ404 multi-switches! We are also adding into your winnings two Ecoda 22KHz EC-2111 factory sample switches!

Please check for a PM providing information on how to claim your prize.

Thank you to everyone who entered and described that tough and challenging install!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts