103° KU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jw2016

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Upper Midwest
Have my spare GEOSATPRO 90cm dish. Thinking at pointing it at SES-3 for mainly Cozi TV, and wildfeeds, etc. I definitely want the ability to record shows on Cozi using my MicroHD with an external HD. I do have a local affiliate of Cozi, but can't do anything with my AM21 since it's not in the database of channels. Any thoughts if it's worth it pointed at 103° ?. Can't do anything now, it's going to be 20 below tonight up here so I have lot's of time to decide where. I already have another 90cm pointed at 125° which works great for PBS so with that other dish I have some choices. Thanks guys..

btw this FTA forum rocks!. Lot's of great posts that are a big help.

Right now at least imo a 90cm dish won't get you those feeds. Some people might have better luck than I do but it's an 8psk with 5/6 FEC and takes a bigger dish. I can get all those feeds on my 1.2 meter KU dish but I still get occasional dropouts. Those feeds are not set up for the hobbyist but for commercial stations with bigger dishes.

Right now at least imo a 90cm dish won't get you those feeds. Some people might have better luck than I do but it's an 8psk with 5/6 FEC and takes a bigger dish. I can get all those feeds on my 1.2 meter KU dish but I still get occasional dropouts. Those feeds are not set up for the hobbyist but for commercial stations with bigger dishes.
I agree with this, because I see exactly the same thing on my 1.2 meter dish. To the OP, if you are going to try it anyway I'd use the best LNB you can lay your hands on, and make sure it's adjusted properly, and even then I suspect you are going to find that this is more or less of a "fair weather" transponder.

I never had any issue getting 103w with my 90cm and GeosatPro pll lnbf. It took some tweaking to get some feeds, but the main ones (cozi, nbc time zones) all came in fine. A bigger dish is always better.

I get the cozi and nbc feeds on my 90cm motorized setup with a geosat pro pll lnbf here in south kansas, and even when the snow was blowing and going 3 weeks ago they came in nice and strong. There are a few feeds i have seen that i have issues with, mostly backhauls which wernt intended for guys like us to begin with. I suspect a 1m or larger dish would help with this issue. However I rarely use the ku setup since i got my c-band dish set up with a corotor 2, however at the edges of the arc no matter how much tweeking i have done can i pickup ku with my 10' so I left the ku setup incase there might be something I wanted or needed to hit. When i put up a ku dish at the house ill be installing a 1m (only cause i dont wanna buy a permit to put up a 1.2m) so ill have a better idea of how much better it performs.

Reactions: hank123
It all depends on location! Lost Cozi two hours ago as heavy rain set in. This is on my one metre in the Maritimes. A 1.2 metre might hold a bit longer up here

I get those, Cozi, the NBC's, NHK, etc just fine on a 30" dish with a Avenger PLL. No dropouts ever, even in bad weather. I'm in CT.

I am using a 1.2 meter dish with 103w 4 degrees from center and I still get a good signal on NBC.

I've lost these TPs (NBC) for some reason. No signal at all, and only 6dB s/n on the 11942V TP. Seems to have dissapeared in the last few days when it's been really cold -32 deg range. 1.2m channelmaster dish, sl2pll lnbf. even cleaned off the snow and tried to re-aim, seems spot on just very poor signals.

Switched to the 1m dish/HH120 motor antenna and get good signals all around on this satallite. Wierd. Perfect weather for replacing LNBs and wiring! :(

Tried the 1.2m dish again a few minutes ago. Signals back up to normal now. Temp has gone up to almost 0 F, so might be temp related on that LNBF, at least that's what I am thinking. Using a few other SL2PLLs that seemed to work fine in the colder weather, maybe this one is particularlly sensitive for some reason. Have not noticed that before but it doesn't get below -30 that often here either. At least it's working now.

I use a 1m dish with a MicroHD for COZI. Works great, but have had a recording or two fail. Just remember with the MicroHD to check the clock settings at least once a week and buffer your recording times, as the clock drifts. Don't use the set the clock by the transponder settings as the COZI transponder clock is not reliable. On most of its programming the clock is fine then one show will have a clock setting that is not correct and this will cause you to loose recordings or record at the wrong times. Took a while to figure that one out as to why my recordings cut out in the middle of the show and why it recorded the wrong shows. If you are just watching the recordings on the MicroHD you will be fine, if watching on another device, get TS-Doctor to stitch the recordings back together as the MicroHD records the programs in chunks with about 1k of the last file duplicated in the first of the next file. There is an old thread about this.

Here in the foothills of N.C. the Amico A3 on a 1mtr.dish yields a quality of 85 on Cozi on the 11760 transponder .That is the highest figure I have seen on that receiver regardless of channel. An Azbox Me on a 1.2mtr. dish yields a quality of 88-91 depending on the weather. In other words that signal booms here and has ever since they switched satellites around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)