Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

I have an issue here that I hope someone can answer.
On 105W while NASA (for as long as it lasts here) comes in with a signal quality between 66-71 for me, the NBC mux has a flickering signal quality anywhere from 15-33. I had this reading last night and had no picture on the screen. I've rotated the LNBF and made sure its perfectly centered...no real improvement.
What am I missing here ?

John

You are missing the 30' dish the the cable headends use for this signal. NASA is DVBS and NBC is DVBS2 with a high SR, NASA has there signal cranked up and NBC does not. I use the NBC KU feeds on 103 more.

Reactions: bpalone
Agree with Magic. My system does get the NBC mux on 105, but it is marginal. I just use the Ku feeds on 103 and have great signal, especially since the odd ball skew went away with the new satellite.

Sorry to disagree with the previous two posters but I have no problems with it on a 7½' dish, in fact it's one of the most reliable signals I receive. To me it sounds like a polarity issue - you've getting a vertical transponder fine but a horizontal one is crapping out. I'll bet you have one of the old style LNB's with a mechanical polorotor and it has started chattering and not correctly switching. If so, might be time to consider upgrading to a newer voltage switched LNB, or at least a new polorotor.

If your LNB is already voltage switched then I would guess something is impeding the voltage so it is not switching properly. Is it an extra long run of coax to the LNB? A new LNB or new coax (maybe RG-11 instead of RG-6 if it's an extra long run) MIGHT solve the problem.

I agree with "ancient". I am getting NBC on 105W with Dual C-Band PLL offset LNB on an 8' dish with prime focus aimed at 99W. It is really difficult to know what exactly is giving the good or bad reception on a satellite or transponder - there are many variables....

Agree with Magic. My system does get the NBC mux on 105, but it is marginal. I just use the Ku feeds on 103 and have great signal, especially since the odd ball skew went away with the new satellite.
When did that happen? I had noticed my Ku NBC had gotten flaky but I blamed it on trees. Maybe I just need to adjust.

I receive the NBC channels on 105w well enough so they're watchable and don't cut out, but the Q is low, on my system with the 9' dish, MicroHD and a C1WPLL, the Q jumps between 42 and 52%.

I too usually watch the Ku ones because sometimes the 105 ones switch to the peacock NBC logo before a show's finished and my receiver won't keep what I set the audio to for those stations.

Reactions: JFOK
Sorry to disagree with the previous two posters but I have no problems with it on a 7½' dish, in fact it's one of the most reliable signals I receive. To me it sounds like a polarity issue - you've getting a vertical transponder fine but a horizontal one is crapping out. I'll bet you have one of the old style LNB's with a mechanical polorotor and it has started chattering and not correctly switching. If so, might be time to consider upgrading to a newer voltage switched LNB, or at least a new polorotor.
If your LNB is already voltage switched then I would guess something is impeding the voltage so it is not switching properly. Is it an extra long run of coax to the LNB? A new LNB or new coax (maybe RG-11 instead of RG-6 if it's an extra long run) MIGHT solve the problem.

ancient,

I'm running my 7.5 KTI dish with a C1-PLL LNBF. The skew I'm now using is the best, allowing for both H and V signals. The ribbon cable run is approx. 50 feet.

John

Just as a comparison:
SE Kansas, 10' SAMI, C-1PLL with RS-1933 receiver (all I have to go by is receiver Q) and right now NBC on 105W-C is 72-74% while NASA is a steady 75% at this time.

Normally, the 103W-Ku feed is good, however several storms around tonight limited Ku reception...

Jason,

For some reason, NBC on 105W is coming in stronger for me. Normally I would be hard pressed to get a signal better than 15 -31.
This morning I was getting this NBC mux between 25-53 and I didn't do a thing to try to improve the signal. I can't attribute this to cooler weather as it didn't get below 71 last night and was extremely humid. The night before with cooler conditions I was getting the 15-31 signal readings. Lets see what the signal looks like when I get home today.

John

I have a 7.5' unimesh with a c1wpll. I get great signal on NASA, good to very good on NBC, but the test of how precisely pointed it was came from the music channels on 105w. It was out just the tiniest bit. The signal quality on my receiver didn't even change, but I adjusted using my AI S2 Meyer to raise my CN level.

I think the slight warping in my dish is enough to cause weaker signals on some satellites, including the NBC transponders on 105W.
Another string test of my dish after mounting the dish on the pole shows this slight warping. While I can't get anything east of 91W, 107W comes in with signals between 75-81.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts