1080p via firmware upgrade?

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I own a Hitachi 57F710S 1080i rear projection TV. Does anyone know whether it is possible to enable 1080p support with a firmware upgrade, or does 1080p require seperate hardware?

I own a Hitachi 57F710S 1080i rear projection TV. Does anyone know whether it is possible to enable 1080p support with a firmware upgrade, or does 1080p require seperate hardware?

resolution is a function of the light engine and the rest of the support hardware. Unlikely that any TV could be upgraded via firmware.

1080p is twice the bandwidth of 1080i.
If a TV set is limited to handling 1080i input video signal it is the limitation of the hardware's ability to handle stream bandwidth.
I don't think firmware can fix this.

Diogen.

It depends on any number of factors. Although I will say it is highly unlikely that it would ever come to pass.

Determining factors:

1) For CRT, the size of the tubes. You need 9" guns to resolve 1080p. There were only a few CRT based RPTVs with 9" guns. The behemoth Mitsubishi's come to mind.

2) For LCD / DLP / LCos (SXRD, D-ILA) it depends on the resolution of the microdisplay. For native 1080 microdisplays, it is theoretically possible to accept 1080p and display it with absolutely minimal processing. However, this requires that the DVI and/or HDMI input (aka sink) can accept 1080p signals. For a 720p microdisplay it too could theoretically accept 1080p and scale to panel size.

3) Is the firmware upgradable? Very few sets are field upgradable.

The most likely answer however is no.

2) For LCD / DLP / LCos (SXRD, D-ILA) it depends on the resolution of the microdisplay. For native 1080 microdisplays, it is theoretically possible to accept 1080p and display it with absolutely minimal processing. However, this requires that the DVI and/or HDMI input (aka sink) can accept 1080p signals. For a 720p microdisplay it too could theoretically accept 1080p and scale to panel size.

If it is 1080i and DLP, it is most likely using the HP 'wobulation' scheme, which means that it has a 720P panel and is already being enhanced.

However, a quick web search seems to indicate that this is a 7" CRT projector, circa 2005.

If it is 1080i and DLP, it is most likely using the HP 'wobulation' scheme, which means that it has a 720P panel and is already being enhanced.

However, a quick web search seems to indicate that this is a 7" CRT projector, circa 2005.

Wobulated is a 1920x540 panel. It had a (thankfully) short lifetime and use.

However our visual acuity is such that it is (functionally speaking) a 1080p device.

Cheers,

So did TI ever come out with a true 1920x1080 micro-mirror chip? I stopped following it closely after I bought my LCoS unit.

hey guys

If it were firmware upgradable it would be to allow for 1080p to 540p down conversion. Which would still be beyond the processing ability of the electronics.

Gregg:

The 1080 --> 540 mapping should have been done at the DMD controller level and not attached to the scaling engine.

One can make the argument that it's not true 1080p, but given that they're an anachronism in the marketplace does it really matter?