11/4/2009 5:30pm - Uplink Activity Report - 10 changes

I do not disagree that PBS should and within 3 years will be available in all markets in HD. What I am saying is that if they uplink WGBH, they will need to add WENH and maybe others, whereas if they can cleanly add only one PBS HD - to serve and complete a DMA, it might be easier to do so. I do not know how full some of the spotbeams are getting for HD in major DMAs.

I agree PBD HD would be the best way to go for the interim. However, the PBS stations, though public and non-profit, are acting no different than their commercial cousins. They do not want competition. In this case, those who watch PBS HD will deny the local pBS stations from bombarding you with auctions and pledge drives. They cite local content and news, but it is really about the money.

correct.

Here in Minnesota we have (technically) 3 different "main" PBS stations but only 2 are uplinked on Dish & Direct (the 3rd cant afford to get the equipment to get it to the POP...Minneapolis is a huge DMA so that would be a 200 mile issue)...both PBS stations have multiple subchannels

anywho....Technically Dish would have to uplink both KTCA (Minneapolis) and KAWB (Bemidji/Brainerd) in HD....which in some cases is goofy as for the most part, they show the same programs.

DirecTV is getting away with only having 1 in HD. Here in Cleveland, there are 2 (plus a few translators), WVIZ in Cleveland, and WEAO in Kent. Yet, DirecTV only has WVIZ in HD. You think Dish could get a similar deal.

I'd rather have PBS in HD than any other channel I don't already get. I was really missing it with the National Park series.

I liked it better back in the good ole days, where uncle sam picked up the tab for PBS stations.

That was something I was willing to spend my tax dollars on.

Just to clarify, Dish would provide a National PBS in HD today, but PBS will not allow it.

Dish and PBS are currently in negotiations.

A web search should provide some information on that.

So that's why they dont uplink HD in some markets, its due to multiple PBS channels. The one that didn't get their feed in HD would be ticked because the other one did and they would lose some of their viewing audience which helps fund their channel.

Maybe Dish Network could pay off PBS (a donation) to have just one PBS HD channel. I don't think that would fly for the same reasons that the network stations wouldn't allow that. It would hurt them. They did get a deal with ION though I think.

So that's why they dont uplink HD in some markets, its due to multiple PBS channels. The one that didn't get their feed in HD would be ticked because the other one did and they would lose some of their viewing audience which helps fund their channel.

Huh? Dish only has PBS Alaska and Hawaii. They carry no HD PBS in any market in the continental United States, rather if they have 1 or 10 PBS stations in the market.

Since that is the case, it doesn't seem PBS is what is stopping the HD LiL roll out all together.

But, like I said, for some reason PBS is letting DirecTV have only one, so I hope Dish can get the same deal.

Huh? Dish only has PBS Alaska and Hawaii. They carry no HD PBS in any market in the continental United States, rather if they have 1 or 10 PBS stations in the market.

Since that is the case, it doesn't seem PBS is what is stopping the HD LiL roll out all together.

But, like I said, for some reason PBS is letting DirecTV have only one, so I hope Dish can get the same deal.

About 2 years ago, DirectTV entered into an 10 year agreement with PBS to make one PBS station available in HD in each market in which Direct carries HD. Direct also agreed to add 2 SD PBS networks (KIDS and something else). A couple of members of congress were reportedly unhappy with the deal and they worked with Direct to add multiple HD PBSs in certain markets, e.g., Vermont - Burlington carries both the Plattsburgh and VPT stations in HD. Dish was in negotiations and several members of congress offered to work with Dish and PBS to nail down a deal, but nothing came of it. Now with Dish promising to add all SD markets, required to add all the HDs in the markets in which they carry HD, several networks scrambling to add stations to smaller markets, e.g.,CBS, and FOX in Springfield MA, WGGB carries Fox HD on 40.2, ABC is 40.1, channel 3 WFSB (CBS) in Hartford created a CBS station for the Springfield market on RF 69 virtual 3, one wonders if Dish will have the capacity on spotbeams in DMA rich areas (springfield has traditionally relied on hartford to complete their networks, but now has all 4 major networks in HD. That is the number of stations in a small area has increased significantly.

My daughter is 2 and absolutely loved Sprout when we had Directv. Now we're with Dish (which I like much better) and no Sprout. Would love it if they added that in SD or HD. She's not picky. She's 2 and she wants her Dragon Tales back.;)

Hey Dish----SPROUT Please.

She's not picky. She's 2 and she wants her Dragon Tales back.
Not a solution for everybody, but it works around here. My local PBS affiliate, WETA, broadcasts PBS-kids 24 hrs/day on one of their digital subchannels. So we can record and watch Dragon Tales all we want.

I don't know how much (or how little) of an impact it would make, but there is a group on Facebook trying to get people to join that want Dish to add Sprout. It was originally a group to add Noggin 24/7 and Sprout, but Noggin has since been expanded to a 24-hour channel on Dish's lineup. If you're interested, log into Facebook and search for Dish Network Sprout and you can find it. I'd put a link, but it's telling me that with less than 3 posts (I don't post much), I can't put a link in...

I don't know how much (or how little) of an impact it would make, but there is a group on Facebook trying to get people to join that want Dish to add Sprout. It was originally a group to add Noggin 24/7 and Sprout, but Noggin has since been expanded to a 24-hour channel on Dish's lineup. If you're interested, log into Facebook and search for Dish Network Sprout and you can find it. I'd put a link, but it's telling me that with less than 3 posts (I don't post much), I can't put a link in...

Please add Sprout