8/11/2010 4:36pm - Uplink Activity Report - 108 changes

I am in Davenport IA and have 110, 119 & 129 setup on a single 1000 dish. The new HD locals ar on 77w. What do I need to do to receive these on 77w? Do I need another dish?

In November, 2009, Dish announced Davenport HD locals to be available on 11/18/09 but never happened till this wednesday. Back in November Dish CSR set me up for a wing dish installation for 77W. Only pre-requisite at that time was a 2-year agreement.. Now we finally have local HD:)
r

Move to Shreveport

IF I am looking at the "map" correctly, I could "move" to Shreveport. It is closer than Baton Rouge. I am on the "fringe" with Baton Rouge. I loose signal fairly easy in cloud cover.

My zip code is 71260. Am I looking at the spotbeam map correctly for Shreveport HD? I live approx. 100 miles east of Shreveport.

Thanks

IF I am looking at the "map" correctly, I could "move" to Shreveport. It is closer than Baton Rouge. I am on the "fringe" with Baton Rouge. I loose signal fairly easy in cloud cover.

My zip code is 71260. Am I looking at the spotbeam map correctly for Shreveport HD? I live approx. 100 miles east of Shreveport.

Thanks

move to Shreveport with the correct address, with the correct ZIP, use chat for the move

CSR chat just told me I would be responsible for the $95 service charge to have a wing dish installed. I will not be paying for their decision to put my locals on a satellite that no equipment in my DMA is configured to work with.

Hell will freeze over...

CSR chat just told me I would be responsible for the $95 service charge to have a wing dish installed. I will not be paying for their decision to put my locals on a satellite that no equipment in my DMA is configured to work with.

Neither will I. I have been with Dish for 10+ years and Hell will freeze over before I pay a fee for there choices. Maybe they had no choice BUT really why should the consumer be responsible for this. Piss poor business practice.

Here is what I would do...

I'd sign up for the $6 a month service agreement, get my first appointment free to install the wing, and then cancel and pay the $25 cancellation fee.

It still sucks, but $25 is better than $95, right?

Here is what I would do...

I'd sign up for the $6 a month service agreement, get my first appointment free to install the wing, and then cancel and pay the $25 cancellation fee.

It still sucks, but $25 is better than $95, right?

DTV, HR24 No charge. I realize the HR24 is not a slam dunk but I can easily make that happen with $0 Installation Charge and NO charge for 2 Receivers. One a HSDVR, One A HD Receiver.
DTV will have the locals within the year at max. for Monroe DMA.

Now, IS THIS SMART?; Loose a 10 year excellent customer over $95? I will move back to Monroe DMA and see...
No threat; just fact.
I have worked the system before with success because I am a customer who always pays on time and have been with Dish 10+ years.
There choice because I have choices.

They are playing hardball. No waive no way. I have been a customer for years. Never missed paying my bill. Waited 2 years for local HD. Today I'm told it will cost me $95.00 or I can sign up for service @ $6 per month. My bill has already gone up this year and is increasing again next month after by loyalty credits end. I canceled my service. I have to find new service. I love Dish's products but I've reached my tipping point. I understand the techs need to be paid to set up the new dish etc. Dish should pay them, not me.

DTV, HR24 No charge. I realize the HR24 is not a slam dunk but I can easily make that happen with $0 Installation Charge and NO charge for 2 Receivers. One a HSDVR, One A HD Receiver.
DTV will have the locals within the year at max. for Monroe DMA.

Now, IS THIS SMART?; Loose a 10 year excellent customer over $95? I will move back to Monroe DMA and see...
No threat; just fact.
I have worked the system before with success because I am a customer who always pays on time and have been with Dish 10+ years.
There choice because I have choices.

Choices are good. And yes you can get an HDDVR and a HD receiver for zip from D*, and maybe it will be an HR24, but that isn't a guaranteed thing you know.

And maybe D* gets Monroe DMA within a year, but that isn't guaranteed, just like it wasn't for Dish.

But what you get from D* is loss of many national HD channels, a 2nd HD tier that actually has decent channels in it; but gain a lot of sports if you are willing to pay the extra.

Unfortunately, given the attitude at Dish these days, you may either pay something for the repoint/re-arc or cancel Dish altogether. So far no one is reporting them budging on the fee.

$95 no way would I pay that, glad I am on 119 :up

I will probably just "move" to Shreveport for signal strength reasons. I live 30 miles north of Monroe and it looks like I would receive a strong signal from Shreveport 119 spot beam. Am I right here?
I enjoy Baton Rouge but I am on the yellow fringe.

I will probably just "move" to Shreveport for signal strength reasons. I live 30 miles north of Monroe and it looks like I would receive a strong signal from Shreveport 119 spot beam. Am I right here?

You look like you should be solid there.....

I just got two new vip722k receivers, a wing added and all new wiring with ground (my local installer didn't do it right back in '99) for the amazingly low price of free + $6 a month for the service plan which allows me to leave my equipment plugged in during lightning storms, to tempt fate for the heck of it.

And if I wanted to, I could call now and cancel the service plan for $25.

That isn't much money for all the work I had done, plus the receiver upgrades.

I understand where you are coming from with the locals being moved, but at the same time you could easily work the system, pay a minimal fee and get whatever you need done (heck, I had my original Dish 500 moved to a new location as well because of tree growth in the last 10 years) during the tech visit.

I did my research (with a lot of help from people on this forum) and got everything I wanted for a minimal fee. No complaints as a long time user and now I am set up for the future being on EA w/ MPEG-4 boxes.

Last edited:

not sure what you signal should be, here in Shreveport it is 65, guess that is OK? :confused:

I'm in West Monroe, but I'm just going to keep my Baton Rouge moved locals. I get the others OTA. One day, I'll switch out, bit I'll just buy my own dish. I have LOS to both arcs.

I can buy my own Dish and not have to wait around for an installer.

Last edited: