8/18/2010 3:36pm - Uplink Activity Report - 93 changes

Really? You think there are over a million Dish subs in PR/USVI/Ak/Hawaii alone?

What data/metrics are you basing this on?

Well dishburgh I am only realy guessing here since they have 14 millon and some in total. I know that between PR/USVI there are 4.5 millon potential costumers so less just guess they have 200 thousand here alone. Yeah you are right I am posibly exagerating but still the point is the same, there are still a lot of costumers being left out and then being overcharged for less service. Here on the island there are not as many options as in the mainland so we only get to choose between a limited few. Cable companies do not reach the mayority of the population so that leaves only two options Dish Network or Direct TV and believe me Direct TV here realy sucks, we don't get the satelites from Direct TV USA we only get one Direct TV satellite from Venezuela with limited programing and not many people are interested on their programing. So that brings us to Dish Network wish then has a higher posibility of capturing a lot of those 4.5 potential costumers. But still this is a guess not hard data. But anyhow you get my point and the frustration we all have here.

Hey now that we mention numbers here. Does anyone know or can find out what are the real number of subscribers outside Continental US? By this I mean legal subscribers in PR/USVI/AK and Hawaii. This data can be helpfull in ower matter.

I'd say POTENTIAL customers, who knows number of actual subscribers. Population; Hawaii 1,200,000 Alaska 698,000 Puerto Rico 4,000,000.

Numbers from 2004 (sorry!) show DBS (combined Direct/Dish/other) penetration into Alaska at 18% and Hawaii at < 15%

So that would put at most for Alaska: 125,640 subs between all DBS providers
Hawaii (don't know exact penetration, only that it is less than 15%, we'll give best case scenario): 180,000 subs between all DBS providers

How many of those are even HD customers? (that was the gist of the argument right? HD moving off of 61.5, etc, etc)

But Dishburgh you forgot Puerto Rico/USVI wish both are about 4,500,000 million potential costumers more than doble of HI/AK combined. And PR DBS penetration I bet is above 75% of the population. You just have to come here and see the amount of antennas on every roof top. In my street to give you an example every single home has a DBS antenna without any exemption, and there are about 40 homes on this street. Can you get numbers for PR/VI?

Ah!!! Thanks technoguy. So my speculation was not far from the truth. So now is time for all of us subs in PR/USVI/AK/HI to start complaining in mass numbers. If no answer comes out of Dish then at that point is time to start talking with ower wallets. As much as I would hate to go with my local cable company for TV services, hey if they start getting more HD's as they are doing currently I would have to do it. Don't get me wrong I love Dish Network's service but numbers are numbers when you are the one paying. And you take care of ALL your costumers, you do not go out and make plans to benefit some and screw the others wile at the same time you keep charging the ones you are screwing up the same amount of money as the ones being benefited by the change.

PS. Now if we do the math here: The population of all the United States is about 300,000,000 millon people and Dish has about 14,000,000 millon subs in total. That makes about 4.7% of penetration and this includes PR/USVI/AK/HI. If we go ahead and do the numbers for PR. Puerto Rico has a population of about 4,000,000 and Dish has about 232,000 subs here. That makes for 6% of penetration. That means that they are doing much better with costumers here than any other place in the country. Then how is that we receive this second class service? This is absolutely unacceptable.

Last edited:
14 million subs is households not people. Somewhere around 15% of the population.

There really is no reason for them to short change AK HI PR or USVI. It should be minimal to add spot beams.

I'd never take it down anyways... I record too much to drop my OTA tuner.

With only the local PBS's main channel being provided via Dish, I need the OTA to get the sub channels. Plus in addition to the Rochester NY locals, I get the Syracuse NY HD channels with my OTA. Sometimes, if I fiddle with the rotor I can get Buffalo HD and that's close to 100 miles away.

Of course I live on the highest roadway in the county and have a big OTA on the roof with a booster in the attic.

Since I'm on vacation and my Slingboxs havent worked since the outage, where the international channels (portuguese) removed from 61.5 or were thoses duplicates?

Since I'm on vacation and my Slingboxs havent worked since the outage, where the international channels (portuguese) removed from 61.5 or were thoses duplicates?

I've heard bits and pieces of some slingbox outages.... what outage? I use mine all the time from my phone and laptop. Just used it during lunch for an hour.

One thing at a time. If we got everything all at once we would have little to bitch about. But then again, there is always something to bitch about... ;)