9/15/2010 3:36pm - Uplink Activity Report - 164 changes

Sigh.... :( No KQED and KTEH again. How DISH Network continues to ignore the
6th largest TV market in the country is beyond me?.

Do I have to restate this every time that Dish uplinks a PBS in HD ??

The Bay Area has FOUR PBS HD Channels.

The Bay Area has probably the most local HD channels.

The FCC requires Dish by 2013 to uplink all local HD channels in any market that they uplink any local HD channel. And the FCC has targets like 33%, 66% etc for the end of each year between now and 2013.

The smallest HD markets count just as much towards that percentage as the largest. And, of course, the smallest markets have very few local HD and very few PBS HD (and so take up much less of bandwidth that Dish wants to use to add other markets of CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX in HD).

So, Dish has incentive to not uplink Bay Area local HD until the end of 2013.

The only exceptions are the 30 PBS channels that signed an agreement with Dish. They seem clearly to be the ones uplinked over the past few weeks.

Please do not make uninformed comments - read the PBS threads in the Dish Network Forum.

Here, I will make it even easier for you (since you have to know that "NONCOM" = "PBS"):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=222028

PS I am surprised that Goaliebob has not followed this...

Yup just as I mentioned in the pub earlier in the week. :)

I wonder why they sped up the rollout of it as last week they were saying it probably wouldn't be on EA until October.

when will the pbs stations in hd in those markets turned on?thank you for help and answer:)

KQED HD OTA shares space with two subchannels and barely gets to 10 Mbps.
KTEH is not HD. There are five SD channels on their OTA signal.
KCSM is HD but also shares space with two subchannels plus some data feeds and runs around 8 Mbps.

When these PBS HD channels do become available on Dish, what will the quality be like?

OK, so they've added the PBS stations this week and last...all with a "NA"...when can we expect them to throw the switch and let us see them???? And I'm not looking for a Charlie answer of "soon"......

The south east corner of Vermont is technically in the Boston DMA. The Burlington VT market is Significantly Viewed in that area. For example, D* has Windham VT with both the Boston and Burlington locals. It looks like E* must have gotten permission to resume SV stations.

I think the same is true with the South West corner of Vt and Albany,NY

OK, so they've added the PBS stations this week and last...all with a "NA"...when can we expect them to throw the switch and let us see them???? And I'm not looking for a Charlie answer of "soon"......

Dish Network has no record of these PBS-HD additions and has not scheduled a date for these to be added. If you're gonna post channel adds check your sources first.

Dish Network has no record of these PBS-HD additions and has not scheduled a date for these to be added. If you're gonna post channel adds check your sources first.

Ummm..... there is no better source than their own uplink data. If you called Dish and talked to a CSR, they don't have any idea about any of this.

CSR's have no notification that these channels are uplinked until they are turned on and available to customers. CSR's are the last to know.

The data for the uplink reports is taken directly from the DISH Network data stream, in addition some of us have engineering receivers and can see the uplinked channels that are up and running.. (But again not available to the consumer yet..)

6240(22) - WVNY [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar14 119W TP 02 Spotbeam A16 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Burlington, VT-ABC)
6240(22) - WVNY [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 13 Spotbeam 2 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Burlington, VT-ABC)
6241(3) - WCAX [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar14 119W TP 02 Spotbeam A16 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Burlington, VT-CBS)
6241(3) - WCAX [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 13 Spotbeam 2 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Burlington, VT-CBS)
6244(31) - WNNE [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar14 119W TP 02 Spotbeam A16 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Hartford, VT-NBC)
6244(31) - WNNE [MPEG4 SD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 13 Spotbeam 2 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Boston, MA-Hartford, VT-NBC)

Does this mean that you can receive both Boston and Vermont locals in certain areas? If so where would a guy have to move to receive them both.

Thanks
yep looks like a couple counties can get both

multichannel article
Dish Network is now delivering in-state, out-of-market, affiliated TV station signals to viewers in Bennington and Windham, Vt.

They had been receiving out-of-state affiliates because the way their markets are drawn up, Bennington was in the Albany, N.Y. area, while Windham was in the Boston market. Now they can get them from Burlington, Vt.

The change is per a provision in the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA), the law reauthorizing
the license to import distant TV station affiliate signals in markets that don't get ones of their own.

so only those 2 counties can get both markets

Thanks to everyone who took the time and replied to my post (Iceberg, flampher and jscud) I just moved to a southern Vt town and am getting both Boston and Vt locals. My Vt ones are only in SD, but hopefully that will change soon.

If you're on Eastern Arc they are in HD according to the post above
SD on 119
HD on 61.5

ABC & CBS in HD, NBC in SD only for some reason

I am hearing two different things... next week so they have something to announce at CEDIA (Besides GOOGLE TV) and I have also heard in October.

We just know they are coming soon. :)

ty for reply scott appreciate it:):up..dish networks favorite word soon:D

So has anyone heard when they'll throw the switch for WMUR for the rest of NH subs outside the Boston DMA??

yep looks like a couple counties can get both

multichannel article

so only those 2 counties can get both markets

mike
WMUR has an agreement already (actually I think its a law there) that all NH residents get it. The issue is WMUR outside of Boston DMA is considered a "distant" (not SV) so we're back to the whole Dish/Distants issue