11/4/2009 5:30pm - Uplink Activity Report - 10 changes

D

DigiDish Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 11/4/2009 5:30pm - 10 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 11/04/2009 05:15P - 11/04/2009 05:30P

Channel Additions:
5292(46) - WVVA [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)(Bluefield, WV-NBC)
5294(53) - WSWP [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)(Grandview, WV-PBS)
5291(59) - WVNS [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)(Lewisburg, WV-CBS)
5290(50) - WOAY [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)(Oak Hill, WV-ABC)
5293(8) - WVNSD [MPEG4 HD] added to EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam (NA)

Channel Removals:
5272 - WVVA (NA) removed from EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam(Bluefield, WV-NBC)
5274 - WSWP (NA) removed from EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam(Grandview, WV-PBS)
5271 - WVNS (NA) removed from EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam(Lewisburg, WV-CBS)
5270 - WOAY (NA) removed from EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam(Oak Hill, WV-ABC)
5273 - WVNSD (NA) removed from EchoStar8 77W TP 32 ConUS beam

Channels in the system: 6627
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers

Do we have to wait until Dish launch's another satellite next year
to see any new national HD beyond the 8 HD channels that are uplinked?

They got it right from the start! Might be a good sign for the rest of us waiting for it!:)

This is not the first small market to get their PBS in HD, there have been several added over the past few months. The larger cities like LA, New York, Chicago, Denver, et. al. are still waiting. It it may take to 2012 to get it too according to what DISH said a few weeks ago when they were working on the renewal of the Satellite Home Viewers Act. It seems, DISH promised to roll out SD locals in all markets and at least NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX HD in all markets. Then, they will roll out PBS. Of course in larger cities they already rolled out CW and MyTV. Then there is the PBS locals insisting that all their subchannels be uplinked with the main PBS feed which is a cause for delay until DISH gets more capacity. So, the blame is really on PBS locals more than it is DISH.

another uplink report and GAC is still on free preview. i can understanding them uping the free preview for one more week, but not flagging GAC yet, is that channel moving packages or staying in the 250 package.

that's gonna be so cool that we are gonna get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS all in HD.
but even though I am in the Bluefield/ Beckley DMA, I didnt know that FOX was in HD here. I knew that WVVA, WVNS (CBS), WOAY, WSWP are all in HD.
but FOX is just a sub channel of WVNS.
maybe someone can correct me if Im wron about FOX in HD.
but I know that Comcast in Bluefield, and Suddenlink in Princeton do not offer FOX in HD.
but glad to see that DISH is gonna to be soon. and from the announcements on WVVA news a couple weeks ago, they stated that it should be avialable by December 9.

that's gonna be so cool that we are gonna get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS all in HD.
but even though I am in the Bluefield/ Beckley DMA, I didnt know that FOX was in HD here. I knew that WVVA, WVNS (CBS), WOAY, WSWP are all in HD.
but I know that Comcast in Bluefield, and Suddenlink in Princeton do not offer FOX in HD.

If the station isnt in HD then it wont be in HD....since its a subchannel it will probably show in SD

This is not the first small market to get their PBS in HD, there have been several added over the past few months. The larger cities like LA, New York, Chicago, Denver, et. al. are still waiting. It it may take to 2012 to get it too according to what DISH said a few weeks ago when they were working on the renewal of the Satellite Home Viewers Act. It seems, DISH promised to roll out SD locals in all markets and at least NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX HD in all markets. Then, they will roll out PBS. Of course in larger cities they already rolled out CW and MyTV. Then there is the PBS locals insisting that all their subchannels be uplinked with the main PBS feed which is a cause for delay until DISH gets more capacity. So, the blame is really on PBS locals more than it is DISH.

Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of the larger cities have multiple PBS stations in their DMA - so if Dish adds PBS HD, it is multiple HD adds.

Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of the larger cities have multiple PBS stations in their DMA - so if Dish adds PBS HD, it is multiple HD adds.

correct.

Here in Minnesota we have (technically) 3 different "main" PBS stations but only 2 are uplinked on Dish & Direct (the 3rd cant afford to get the equipment to get it to the POP...Minneapolis is a huge DMA so that would be a 200 mile issue)...both PBS stations have multiple subchannels

anywho....Technically Dish would have to uplink both KTCA (Minneapolis) and KAWB (Bemidji/Brainerd) in HD....which in some cases is goofy as for the most part, they show the same programs.

In Denver we have two, and I can only speak for Denver. One of the stations operates the Rocky Mountain PBS Network with translators across the state. Similar to Connecticut Public TV and New Jersey Public TV. The other PBS station in Denver is more of a community station which offers some PBS programming; that is, it is not a normal PBS station. Both stations have subchannels.

The original post was directed at DISH for not at least providing PBS HD as an alternative to many cities who will have to wait up to three years to get a PBS HD signal. By the way, this issue affects stations like WGBH (Boston), WETA (Washington), WQED (Pittsburgh), WHYY (Philadelphia), KCET (Los Angeles), WTTW (Chicago), and WNET (New York) the sources for the majority of national PBS programming. In all their respected markets none of these stations are carried by DISH in HD.

Given the choice between MyTV and PBS; I think PBS is a better choice. But, revenue is the name of the game. Denver has MyTV in HD because KUSA the NBC affiliate owns the MyTV affiliate and uses it as a second channel for newscasts and when the Denver Broncos play on NFL Network or ESPN.

I do not disagree that PBS should and within 3 years will be available in all markets in HD. What I am saying is that if they uplink WGBH, they will need to add WENH and maybe others, whereas if they can cleanly add only one PBS HD - to serve and complete a DMA, it might be easier to do so. I do not know how full some of the spotbeams are getting for HD in major DMAs.

but glad to see that DISH is gonna to be soon. and from the announcements on WVVA news a couple weeks ago, they stated that it should be avialable by December 9.

Yes the Fox is from WVNS and it is in HD because Suddenlink carries it also in HD. I am in Greenbrier County.