111th U.S. Golf Open (16-19 June 2011)

Phil just tee'd off and is tied ofr 26th. But he is also 12-shots off the 6-shot lead McIlroy extablished. Rory had better fall back to the rest of the field because he is going to run-away with this U.S. Open if he keeps the ball in play. We shall see.

Why I hate golf on NBC...

- The annoying cast of commentators and characters. OK, I like Johnny Miller but that's it.
- Not having cameras in position to cover Phil's early round (that's my assumption).
- Wasting a half-hour running tape of McIlroy's first two rounds and then showing him on the practice tee when they can broadcast...er, live golfing action (what a novel idea!)
- Wasting a half-hour covering the former President's playing golf...yada, yada, yada. Cover it in 5-minutes and show 'em playing golf (again, what a novel idea!)
- Hell, I would just as soon have NBC show Tiger Woods playing poker with his Lionesses; heck, have him join-in with Charlie Sheen and it will certainly be more entertaining than watching B&W tape of fatso Taft trying to hit a golf ball when he can't see over his pendulous belly. Ugh!

Watching the U.S. Open on NBC is enough to make someone want to beat themselves with a wedge. Yikes! :rant:

OK, who has been following the U.S. Open?

McIlroy has been running away from the field. This 22-year old has been simply awesome. However, can he finish the tournament playing well tomorrow afternoon? As you'll recall, Rory led all three rounds of the Masters back in April (by 4-strokes after the 3rd round)...only to shot an 80 on Sunday and finish 10-shots out of 1st.

Standing out in the crowd

Well, after setting a 36-hole scoring record yesterday Rory McIlroy set a 54-hold scoring record this afternoon. McIlroy has a commanding 8-stroke lead going into tomorrow's final round of play. So far, his domination of this tournament equals that of Tiger Woods some 14-years ago.

1 Rory McIlroy -14 (199)
2 Y.E. Yang -6 (207)
T3 Jason Day -5 (208)
T3 Lee Westwood -5 (208)
T3 Robert Garrigus -5 (208)
T6 Fredrik Jacobson -4 (209)
T6 Matt Kuchar -4 (209)
T6 Sergio Garcia -4 (209)

I know some will deny it it....but golf is boring without Tiger. There is no one for others to hate...and others to defend him. EVERYONE on the tour look like a bunch of Disney mechanical characters on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

I disagree. I feel that we are witnessing a changing of the guard...out with the old men like Phil and Tiger, and in with the young Lions like Rory and the twentysomethings. I think it's a very exciting time for Golf. We shall see.

I disagree. I feel that we are witnessing a changing of the guard...out with the old men like Phil and Tiger, and in with the young Lions like Rory and the twentysomethings. I think it's a very exciting time for Golf. We shall see.

No one cares. There is no one tuning in saying, "wonder how Rory is doing....?" There are no personalities. The ONE sport when the powers to be should be showing off individual personalities... and they don't. Sorry... but golf has gone back to hibernation!

No one cares. There is no one tuning in saying, "wonder how Rory is doing....?" There are no personalities. The ONE sport when the powers to be should be showing off individual personalities... and they don't. Sorry... but golf has gone back to hibernation!

Not true! I think American golf fans are on the verge of falling hard for Rory McIlroy. I talked to my brother yesterday, and Dad this morning, and they both said the same thing...they like this kid because of his game and, just as important, his wonderful personality (he is very likeable). His interviews are night and day opposite of the ones give my Tiger Woods: he is not cocky, he is not arrogant, he answers questions fully and with humility, and he is just a good kid. Hmmm. People used to feel the same way about Tiger Woods many, many years ago...now they just shake their heads ruefully whenever he speaks.

Failure to Launch...

Several notables are having a rough go of things at the Congressional: (just to name a few)

Bubba Watson +7
Luke Donald +7
Phil Mickelson +7
Martin Kaymer +3

There was a lot of rain in the area last night, so the course should be in good shape for some great scoring.

Youth Movement

Last 4 Major Winners

Rory McIlroy - 2011 U.S. Open (22) ???
Charl Schwartzel - 2011 Masters (26)
Martin Kaymer - 2010 PGA Championship (25)
Louis Oosthuizen - 2010 Brittish Open (27)
Graeme McDowell - 2010 U.S. Open (30)

The one thing that the PGA is missing since Tigers fall is that they don't have any player that can make the huge comeback. Even if Tiger was not winning there always was the thought in everybody's mind that he was there and could make the comeback. Today's PGA final round did not interest me much as it was only can Rory not blow it once again. I personally don't like to see any professional come unglued like he did at the Masters.

Rory McIlroy dominates and wins U.S. Open

1 Rory McIlroy -16 -2 65 66 68 69 (268)
2 Jason Day -8 F -3 71 72 65 68 (276)
3 Y.E. Yang -6 E 68 69 70 (278)
T4 Kevin Chappell -6 F -5 76 67 69 66 (278)
T4 Robert Garrigus -6 F -1 70 70 68 70 (278)
T4 Lee Westwood -6 F -1 75 68 65 70 (278)
T7 Peter Hanson -5 F -4 72 71 69 67 (279)
T7 Sergio Garcia -5 F -1 69 71 69 70 (279)

Congrats to Rory McIlroy how his 1st Major victory.

This weekend America fell in love with Rory McIlroy. By all accounts, this is the first of many more major wins we're going to see in the coming years. Are we seeing the "new" Tiger Woods? Since we can't call him Tiger McIlroy...how about Lion McIlroy or King McIlroy?

Lots of records fell this weekend.

Back to back Northern Ireland wins at the U.S. Open! Congratulations to the 22-year-old! May Rory McIlroy never have to buy another pint of Guinness in his homeland ever again!

So, the long time ago promised (by local fans) Tiger comeback and
companies begging for his advertising power is delayed. Again!

What a shame...:)

Diogen.

No doubt. Based on everything I've seen over the weekend, the golfing public is eager someone like McIlroy...even if he is a European. He is just a nice, likeable kid. Of course, Tiger could always return to form. We shall see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts