118.7 Conversion

dishHd

Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Hello,

Does anyone know what's really going on with this conversion? I live in california and have a dish pointed @ sat 148' to receive one channel called suntv, dish contacted me about putting in a 500 plus dish with the 118.7. I told i dont have line of sight on the sat because of trees and only have signal from 148, they said i would lose my channel on the 15th of this month, how true is this?? why would dish make people lose programing if its working just fine?

Hello,

Does anyone know what's really going on with this conversion? I live in california and have a dish pointed @ sat 148' to receive one channel called suntv, dish contacted me about putting in a 500 plus dish with the 118.7. I told i dont have line of sight on the sat because of trees and only have signal from 148, they said i would lose my channel on the 15th of this month, how true is this?? why would dish make people lose programing if its working just fine?
DISH dosen't have to explain the reason to you, they are moving the feed to a different satellite and offered you a free installation to continue receiving the signal. Seeing 119 and 118.7 are virtually the same locations and 119 is their main satellite they assume all their customers can receive signals from there.

Last edited:
Yeah if get 119 you will get 118.7 just fine.

Pepper corrected me, so my best guess to the reason why they are moving the channels is so that they can be received on one dish, or they want to retire/move the 148 satellite.

Like Boba said they don't have to give a reason. :(

It's possible that dishHd is only subscribing to one channel, I hope you have line of site to 118.7 and 119.

Last edited:
wrong. The one-dish law has to do only with local channels.

Dish is moving Internationals to 118.7, requiring (free) dish upgrades for those customers.

Pepper is correct. This has nothing to do with the "one dish antenna" rule for local channels. And the "one dish antenna" rule ONLY requires that all the local channels any ONE subscriber gets in standard definition are receiveble with one antenna. All the locals in High def have to be receivable with one antenna. But they don't have to be the same antenna. Nor do either of the local sets have to be receivable with the same antenna as the main body of the programming from a satellite carrier! So to get HD, SD and regular programming you could be required to get 3 separate dishes if they were stupid enough. :) ...it would be quite legal under the "one dish rule".

But that has nothing to do with this. :D
Dish Network is doing what they have been trying to do for years and consolidating international channels to one satellite. They tried 121° but the "SuperDish" was a miserable failure. So now its the Dish 500+ at 118°.

See ya
Tony

I have TV5 at 148. I have not received any notice from Dish. I read on here that someone said that Dish may leave a few internationals at 148. Can anyone confirm if TV5 will continue to be available at 148 after the migration?

My guess is that the migration is to "reclaim" bandwidth, possibly for HD locals.

well, like i said in my post " i do not have line of sight on 119 or 110" so this would be pretty stupid. I would understand if they were doing this for superdish customer's with 121, but i dont have that! so this makes no sense.

I think the upgrade is for superdish 121 customers who will need to repoint at 118.7 to continue to receive international programming which they had from 121. Call the CSR again and check.

i dont know the story on the 148 but sat's in orbit do not have an unending service life. 15 years is i think the longest current rating.

anyone care to search to see how long the 148 has left?

but unless its a friday afternoon and the technician just wants to go home, you should be able to find some way to get 118/119 in there somehow/someway.

I have very very few NLOS's in my area and we are in mountainous/tree filled area here bigtime.

If the installer says its impossible, have them show you exactly why, if they cant or wont show you, they are probably just trying to go home. Get a second(or third) opinion. :)

one bad thing, the installer is being sent there as an "easy job" repoint of the dish. Probably $20-30 tops. Even though dish is promising a "free" job, if the dish truly requires moving to get a good sight, i would offer to pay them for their time. If you want the service and not to be denied, you may need to make it worth it to the installer to make it work. Noone of us like to work for free and trust me, Dish makes us do just that FAR too often.

Can someone offer a run-down as to why the SuperDiSH 121 was a miserable failure?
It can't be the size of the antenna, can it? The 500+ looks (to me) only a little bit smaller.

Can someone offer a run-down as to why the SuperDiSH 121 was a miserable failure?
It can't be the size of the antenna, can it? The 500+ looks (to me) only a little bit smaller.

It had to do more with technical and reception issues than anything else. The Superdish is 3½ x 1 inches larger than the "Plus" Dish. Not a whole lot smaller but much less technical and reception problems. I also understand they are much easier to aim.

See ya
Tony

It had to do more with technical and reception issues than anything else. The Superdish is 3½ x 1 inches larger than the "Plus" Dish. Not a whole lot smaller but much less technical and reception problems. I also understand they are much easier to aim.

See ya
Tony

And a much better overall design. They're a piece of cake to deal with as compared with the superdish. The signal strength is really good around here, whereas the Superdish always had reception problems.

Any idea if the international channels on 61.5 will also go to 118.7? The international channels I receive are mirrored on 121 & 61.5. I have a superdish 110,119 121 & a dish pointed to 61.5.

Look at the bottom of the posts. You will see that the comments were edited AFTER the responses given by me and Pepper.

See ya
Tony

Ah, looks like I missed that. (Sheepish grin)

I am sorry that I started a confusion, I thought that "Pepper corrected me" would show that I edited the post afterwards, I didn't feel like it was necessary to start a new post, but next time I will :)

Any idea if the international channels on 61.5 will also go to 118.7? The international channels I receive are mirrored on 121 & 61.5. I have a superdish 110,119 121 & a dish pointed to 61.5.

My understanding after talking to Echostar and also to the installers is that everything is going to 118.75.
The work order sheet that the installer brought to my house explicitly instructs the installer not to install a wing dish for the Chinese channels, and I feel that it is reasonable to assume that the other, smaller packages will also be moved if they haven't been moved already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)