118.7 Re-point kit

dish_dtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Hi!

E* came yesterday and replaced the LNBFs/brackets on my SuperDish 121 with a new 118.7 re-point kit and everything looks good.

A few questions about Signal strength. When I go to check switch and cycle thru' my satellites, the signal strength (I live in Dallas, TX) is in the high 60s on 110/119 and a lowly 49-52 on 118.7 I also see a yellow msg. that says 'new software download may reflect a lower signal number than before, even though signal strength is as before'. Are my signal #s fine after the re-point kit? I also ask this, because they initially had a tough time getting 118.7 and eventually called somebody to re-check EL/AZ readings for my zip.

Also, as I cycle thru' the sats, I still get a green bar in the 50-60 range for 121 (previously pointed) and 148 (even though none of my LNBFs were pointing there ever). Since my 3 LNBFs point to 110, 118.7 and 119, I was surprised to see green bars with values on 121 & 148.

Hi, I have this very same setup.

The 118.7 satellite transmits at a lower power than the 119 and 110 satellites. It's a medium-powered FSS satellite that transmits at a little more than half the power of the DBS satellites. As long as the signal meter is green you are getting a 100% good quality signal.
This satellite also differs from other FSS satellite (like Galaxy 25) in that its transponders are a little higher-powered than those FSS satellites. In addition, it is transmitting using circular polarity in the FSS band. You might think of it as a "hybrid" satellite.
Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reassurance. I was just a little surprised that the seemingly meaningless signal strength #s are now lower than b4. I do have a steady green band on all the 3 sats.

Also, as I cycle thru' the sats, I still get a green bar in the 50-60 range for 121 (previously pointed) and 148 (even though none of my LNBFs were pointing there ever). Since my 3 LNBFs point to 110, 118.7 and 119, I was surprised to see green bars with values on 121 & 148.
After you do a check switch with the new LNBF configuration and repointing, your receiver will list just the satellites and polarities it picked up.

However, if at the Point Dish screen, if you toggle through the listing of possible satellites (61.5, 105, 110, 118, 119, 121, 129, 148) real fast, they may all show some sort of signal. This is because some receivers take 8 to 10 seconds to recognize & display the new signal (if any). For an accurate or correct reading, you need to change the satellite (or transponder), and then wait a few seconds for the signal to go away and re-appear.

Then below the signal meter, you should see some remarks, such as wrong satellite found.

I am a newbie here. I have Dish 500 and using 110 and 119 with good signal strengths. I am interested in adding some International channels in the near future. Since they are putting the International Channels on 118.5, I want do know if I can already subscribe without any readjustment (Just give them a phone call)? Can I test if I am receiving signal from 118.5?

I am a newbie here. I have Dish 500 and using 110 and 119 with good signal strengths. I am interested in adding some International channels in the near future. Since they are putting the International Channels on 118.5, I want do know if I can already subscribe without any readjustment (Just give them a phone call)? Can I test if I am receiving signal from 118.5?

since you dont have 500+ install someone is gone have to come out and swap out dish 500 to dish 500+ so you can get 118.7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)