Can you upgrade a leased 622 to a 722?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
Sorry, I KNOW this has to be covered somewhere else, but for some reason the forum search function is proving difficult/worthless of late (anyone else having issues w/ search errors, btw?).

Anyways, with the buzz suggesting that the chipset in the 622 won't support HD VOD and such, I'm wondering if an upgrade to the 722 is called for.

Question is, CAN I? I've leased the 622 since I upgraded it from a 921 a couple of months after it was released (Last year? My memory escapes me).

There is no info on the 722 on the Dish website (the 622 is still the front and center offering under both HD and DVR recievers)...which I find odd.

What's the deal? Is the 722 still in 'ramp-up' mode and not fully in the retail pipeline? Is it, therefore, going to be ridiculously painful and expensive to do an upgrade at this time?

Hmm. That $99 include installation or is there a service call fee, I wonder?

Don't know if my account is "A" status or not--I'm subbing to their Everything w/ HD and locals w/ 3 recievers (2 leased, 1 owned), where does that put me, y'think?

That would include "installation", which in your case would involve unhooking the 622 & plugging in the 722. It is $99 AFTER $100 rebate, $199 up front. It would probably require another 18 month commitment as well.

Ed

Gotcha. Thanks.

Is this something that has fully filtered through the customer service channels? Or do you have to play the dial-a-lotto w/ the reps or some special 'office of HD affairs'? I know these things sometimes take time to disseminate.

I have the most luck on everything by calling Tech Service from the get go. They have never refused to take care of any situation.

You could most likely do a DIY installation in this case. It won't save you any money but it would save the hassle of being there (for hours?) waiting for a tech to show up. Should be a drop-in equivalent (unplug/replug). Run the initial setup that includes allowing it to D/L the latest software, then call E* to activate it. If E* is reluctant to do an upgrade, you could volunteer to save them the cost of the truck roll and that might expedite everything for you...

Good points.

I had another thought/concern about the upgrade. I did the USB Storage feature unlock a couple of months ago when it was released...it should be straightforward to carry the feature forward to this new receiver, right? I understand that it's a 'household' license and that I should be able to move the USB hard drive to the new box without incident--but is there any cause for concern here?

Good points.

I had another thought/concern about the upgrade. I did the USB Storage feature unlock a couple of months ago when it was released...it should be straightforward to carry the feature forward to this new receiver, right? I understand that it's a 'household' license and that I should be able to move the USB hard drive to the new box without incident--but is there any cause for concern here?

would like to know the answer to this as well...

Good points.

I was in the same boat... No problem here. I upgraded my 622 lease to a 722 lease and my 622 had the external drive about a month or two ago.

No problem to upgrade 622 to 722 with 18 month commitment. $199 up front and they told me I would get 6 months of free HD(6x $20 = $120) plus $100 lump sum rebate ($21 ahead!). I have not seen the $100 rebate or the $20 a month credit yet however.

I had a USB drive attached to the 622 and it transferred seamlessly to the new 722 (less one of it's 3 "lives").

Don't know if my account is "A" status or not--I'm subbing to their Everything w/ HD and locals w/ 3 recievers (2 leased, 1 owned), where does that put me, y'think?

I just upgraded my 625 dvr to a vip722, but not through the overseas CSR (they insisted I had to buy one for $649), I ended up emailing executivecustomerservice@echostar.com to get my pricing. It cost me $199 for the new 722. The executive office guy, immediately credited my account a $100, so in reality it cost me $99 installed.
No 18 month committment either. Plus the installer he arranged did all kinds of rewiring for my house (so I could get rid of my 311 receiver too while mirroring the SD output on the 722) and replaced a lnb for me too (which was starting to have some drift).

I did mention to the executive customer service rep., that if I did infact had to pay $650 for a 722 dvr, I might as well just cancel my account and more over to D*. So sometimes the squeaky wheel does get the grease.:)

I was in the same boat... No problem here. I upgraded my 622 lease to a 722 lease and my 622 had the external drive about a month or two ago.

No problem to upgrade 622 to 722 with 18 month commitment. $199 up front and they told me I would get 6 months of free HD(6x $20 = $120) plus $100 lump sum rebate ($21 ahead!). I have not seen the $100 rebate or the $20 a month credit yet however.

I had a USB drive attached to the 622 and it transferred seamlessly to the new 722 (less one of it's 3 "lives").

This is all VERY good to hear.

I just hate making a big change when everything, you know, works.

Wish me luck, I may be making some calls this weekend...

Sorry, I KNOW this has to be covered somewhere else, but for some reason the forum search function is proving difficult/worthless of late (anyone else having issues w/ search errors, btw?).

Anyways, with the buzz suggesting that the chipset in the 622 won't support HD VOD and such, I'm wondering if an upgrade to the 722 is called for.

Question is, CAN I? I've leased the 622 since I upgraded it from a 921 a couple of months after it was released (Last year? My memory escapes me).

There is no info on the 722 on the Dish website (the 622 is still the front and center offering under both HD and DVR recievers)...which I find odd.

What's the deal? Is the 722 still in 'ramp-up' mode and not fully in the retail pipeline? Is it, therefore, going to be ridiculously painful and expensive to do an upgrade at this time?

If you schedule a trouble call, and a technician comes out with a 722 on his van, and you convince him to replace a "defective" receiver, you can get it for free. Other than that, it's an upgrade fee.

Well, just got off the phone w/ Dish Tech Support in an attempt to request the upgrade.

The gentleman I spoke w/ could not find any information in his system to validate the "$199 upgrade w/ $100 Dish n' it Up credit for net $99 cost". He put me on hold twice, then asked if I wanted to hold a 3rd time or call back later...I said I'd call back.

So, apparently this deal isn't fully disseminated through the CSR ranks/systems.

Should I simply try again--playing the dial-a-lotto, or go the e-mail route? I might do the latter and see what happens.

I really get frustrated by the lack of consistency w/ these upgrade processes. The USB storage feature unlock was a dream, so simple and fast to do over the phone...it make me believe that this might go as smoothly. Alas...

As a dealer who has access to every type of receiver out there, I would not even bother trying to upgrade a 622 to a 722.

The only noticable difference right now is the actual hours on the unit which can be solved with an external drive.

If your going to get a new unit by all means get a 722, but I think its silly to spend even $99 to upgrade to a 722 and send the 622 back.

If you really want a 722, go ahead and lease one and put the 622 in another room!

You do not need a 622 to get the net $99 price for the 722. I dropped my owned 921 and returned my 501 for the exchange. Do not count on getting the rebate quickly, see the thread on it, I've been waiting at stage 2 of 5 after getting off of invalid number for many weeks.
-Ken

As a dealer who has access to every type of receiver out there, I would not even bother trying to upgrade a 622 to a 722.

The only noticable difference right now is the actual hours on the unit which can be solved with an external drive.

If your going to get a new unit by all means get a 722, but I think its silly to spend even $99 to upgrade to a 722 and send the 622 back.

If you really want a 722, go ahead and lease one and put the 622 in another room!

There's also the HD DishOnline it has access to. Plus it's a snazzy black color. :D

FYI Dishonline is also on the 622, well my 2 anyway.

Problem is you apparently can't rent HD content through DishOnline on the 622...on SD content. Which means the 622 is near useless to me for that feature (I refuse to pay for SD content...and the Xbox Live video service has spoiled me even further w/ its high-quality HD content and ease of use).

The only chance Dish has of getting me to use these new services of theirs is to get the appropriate equipment in my home. It's an HD world now, baby. And the competition is already in my A/V rack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)