Can you upgrade a leased 622 to a 722?

Well, just got off the phone w/ Dish Tech Support in an attempt to request the upgrade.

The gentleman I spoke w/ could not find any information in his system to validate the "$199 upgrade w/ $100 Dish n' it Up credit for net $99 cost". He put me on hold twice, then asked if I wanted to hold a 3rd time or call back later...I said I'd call back.

So, apparently this deal isn't fully disseminated through the CSR ranks/systems.

Should I simply try again--playing the dial-a-lotto, or go the e-mail route? I might do the latter and see what happens.

I really get frustrated by the lack of consistency w/ these upgrade processes. The USB storage feature unlock was a dream, so simple and fast to do over the phone...it make me believe that this might go as smoothly. Alas...

There is no special deal. All you're asking for is a standard Dish'N It Up. The price for such depends on a host of factors. Most importantly is how long has it been since your last contract renewal or upgrade. EX. If you've been a customer for 3 months' you'll be a Plan C, no doubt. If you've been a customer for over 12 months, you'll probably be a Plan A which gets you the $99 price after the $100 rebate. Other factors include payment history and credit status.

Gotcha. I didn't really mean a "special deal," but it sure seemed a mystery to the CSR (I've been a sub for 2 yrs +, credit in very good standing btw).

Still waiting for a reply to my e-mail request for assistance from the executive office...

is there a hd dishonline then ? great if there i in which case i too wil be looking to do the upgrade to a 722, but not until.

Supposedly. I still have a 622. I haven't changed it out yet.

As an aside, I just noticed where you hail from. El Dorado Hills. Nice houses to live in, a real bitch to install in though. Very few places to mount the dishes, and the places you can mount them are high enough to give squirrels nosebleeds.

I was in the same boat... No problem here. I upgraded my 622 lease to a 722 lease and my 622 had the external drive about a month or two ago.

No problem to upgrade 622 to 722 with 18 month commitment. $199 up front and they told me I would get 6 months of free HD(6x $20 = $120) plus $100 lump sum rebate ($21 ahead!). I have not seen the $100 rebate or the $20 a month credit yet however.

I had a USB drive attached to the 622 and it transferred seamlessly to the new 722 (less one of it's 3 "lives").

If you already had the HD pkg you won't get the free 6 months of HD, that's just for new HD customers but the $100 back should start in 8-10 weeks.

Thanks to everyone for their insights/input--here's my update:

I got a call yesterday afternoon from Brian in the executive office, a nice fellow who was doing all he could to help. Turns out I'm 2 mo. shy of my 18 month upgrade window for the full $100 Dish n' It Up credit...he was cool enought to offer a bypass to the tune of a $50 credit, bringing my upgrade cost to $149. I decided to wait until mid-Jan when I'll be eligible for the full credit and thanked him for his time/efforts.

He said that at that 'maturity date' I'd be able to get things done through the standard CSR route, but if I'd prefer to keep his contact info, that'd be fine, too.

So, not a bad result--I just misjudged when I had my last upgrade (921-to-622). Oh well, lots to keep me busy until mid-Jan...Xmas toys and all :). Still, hope this thread and the info in it helps some others like me...

UPDATE--UPDATED!!!

Alright, so Dish takes care of its own. I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

Brian from the executive office called me back early this afternoon and, basically, they were able to bend things so I could get the 722 upgrade now. In fact, the paperwork was done and the 722 was already prepped for 'fast-track' shipping by the time I got a chance to call Brian back. So, a minute of reciting my credit card, and that was that. He put an instant credit back for the $100, so all-in-all, a tidy little exchange.

Should have the 722 in 3 days, 5 max. Hope it serves me well. Thanks again to all...and good luck out there.

Last edited:
Hey, quick question as I'm waiting for my 722 to arrive (should have it by Mon/Tues)...

Do I pull the card from the 622 when I do the swap-out w/ the new reciever? Sorry, I know this is a basic thing to ask...I've just never done this before and happened to think of it.

Hey, quick question as I'm waiting for my 722 to arrive (should have it by Mon/Tues)...

Do I pull the card from the 622 when I do the swap-out w/ the new reciever? Sorry, I know this is a basic thing to ask...I've just never done this before and happened to think of it.

Dish receivers no longer have cards. Only older ones like the 301, 721, 921 etc.

So the answer is, I DON'T have to swap the card out to the new reciever...;).

I'm assuming then, that the activation process (download?) puts the pertinent customer data onto the new box.

So the answer is, I DON'T have to swap the card out to the new reciever...;).

I'm assuming then, that the activation process (download?) puts the pertinent customer data onto the new box.

Exactly. Not only do you not have to swap out the card, it's physically impossible to do so, since the CAM is built directly into the systemboard circuitry. :D

O.K., so I'm happily watching the Bears/Raiders game on my shiny new 722 (watching its first off-air recording...so don't tell me how it ended).

Very happy. I only hit a small snag in the form of a bit of a shipping delay (seems they hit a back-order and I was the last to know), but it finally went out on Wednesday and arrived quick-shipped on Friday.

Set-up was a breeze. Simple swap-out, check switch, software download and a few minutes for the activation to 'trickle' down. DishComm setup and USB storage migration were a snap w/ no issues.

Sad to see the trusty ole' 622 go...but its swank jet black replacement w/ double the capacity seems to be settling in just fine.

Kudos again to Brian at Dish for helping out. Nice to see good customer service in action...

Now if we could just spruce up that DishOnline service w/ some good HD movies and easier/sleeker navigation ;).

O.K., so I'm happily watching the Bears/Raiders game on my shiny new 722 (watching its first off-air recording...so don't tell me how it ended).

Very happy. I only hit a small snag in the form of a bit of a shipping delay (seems they hit a back-order and I was the last to know), but it finally went out on Wednesday and arrived quick-shipped on Friday.

Set-up was a breeze. Simple swap-out, check switch, software download and a few minutes for the activation to 'trickle' down. DishComm setup and USB storage migration were a snap w/ no issues.

Sad to see the trusty ole' 622 go...but its swank jet black replacement w/ double the capacity seems to be settling in just fine.

Kudos again to Brian at Dish for helping out. Nice to see good customer service in action...

Now if we could just spruce up that DishOnline service w/ some good HD movies and easier/sleeker navigation ;).

Some users are claiming the 722 has a superior picture to the 622. Have you noticed any difference?

If I can ever get out of here (still at work watching a motion graphics render crrreeeeep along)...maybe I'll be able to watch some stuff and let you guys know what I think.

Oh, and holy s***! we just put an offer in on a house today! We got cornered (we weren't planning on moving on it until we got a call from our realtor's office, it seems we have competition for this place as they were putting in an offer tonite). So wish me luck...and doubly so, 'cause this house has big trees on its southern side (so I hope I can get a good signal come the big move if we get it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)