118 Bird Transponder 18

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Has anyone had any problems with this? It carries St. Louis Locals KTVI (fox) and KSDK (NBC). The installers that were just hear to try to fix the problems tell me DISH is having a software glitch with this transponder. Sounds like they are making up a story, but he was talking to another person on the phone about it so I assume several installers in my area are having the same problem.

Like I said, usually I wouldn't believe this but I have great signal now on all my nessassary transponders on my Dish 1000+ except for this one transponder. Even the other transponder on 118 that carries my other locals is fine (tp 11 signal is 40). So now that we have narrowed it down, can it still be a skew issue?

I am in the St. Louis area as well. I didn't have any problems watching FOX2 in HD over Dish Network last night. I haven't tried it yet today though.

Now i am sure they screwed up the alignment....because i was getting it right before they where here....but the trouble call was because my signal was low on tp 18, which carries Fox 2 and NBC here. it was between 18-20 (I actually have another thread about my problems somewhere.) The channels would cut out frequently and then come back. now I have nothing.

However, I can maybe see some truth to the fact that tp 18 is malfunctioning or there is a software glitch (i guess) beause that tp has always been really low comparied to the rest of them.

I will say my signal on the other birds and tps on 118 is much better than before...but i am willing to lose some signal strenth for tp 18 to come back!

Yes it is a known problem with a weak signal in this area. It took 2 visits for them to get my dish aimed properly for this transponder. The last visit, the tech focused specifically on the the listed transponder. All has been well for several months now...

damn, you would think they would move our locals to another tp then! Ok going on top of the roof to see if i can dial into tp 18 without screwing everything else up

damn, you would think they would move our locals to another tp then! Ok going on top of the roof to see if i can dial into tp 18 without screwing everything else up

Good luck. I haven't messed with that stuff in a number of years but it was a pain in the *** back then and I can only imagine it's gotten worse since then.

OK, I got tp 18 "dialed in" at about 26-27. At the beginning of the day, it was between 18-21. All I care about is not losing picture every time someone looks at it wrong. We will see how this goes, but tp 18 sucks!

I would say they need to do a better job dialing in your dish, I just looked at 118 tp 18 and I have 63, none or under 57 and 68 on some

What is your location oljim? I do know for one reason or another 118 tp 18 has a low signal around here for a lot of people. Not as low as mine, but still low. I am curious to know your area as I want to know if its a location issue or a major install issue, that affects many people in my area.

I live in St. Charles which is NW of St. Louis. Have a 1000+ dish and a 622. I currently have a signal strength of 62 on 118 transponder 18. I usually do not have a problem with any of the locals except channel 5 which has an occasional break up over both satellite and OTA antenna.

I think the reason you have weak TP18s in your area, Derek, is because Ketterman's is doing the work out there. Same crappy techs probably did all the dishes in your area.

I've got a 1000+ mast and strut kit if you want it. Just cover the shipping.

I'm not sure it's all Dish's fault, I switched over and got the signal from my antenna and was experiencing the same things I was off the Dish feed (my antenna is running through the receiver though). I think some of it might be Fox 2's HD broadcast. I don't seem to have these issues with KSDK.

I'm not sure it's all Dish's fault, I switched over and got the signal from my antenna and was experiencing the same things I was off the Dish feed (my antenna is running through the receiver though). I think some of it might be Fox 2's HD broadcast. I don't seem to have these issues with KSDK.

I understand that, but it is dishes fault that my signal was between 17-20, which does cause the picture to freeze once in a while. I even lost signal a couple of times right before the game.

Vegas, did you get my PM? I wrote you stating I would like to have that mast if you still have it available.

I am currently having the same issue with TP 18. Both KSDK and KTVI. They work fine during the day according to my wife and then the signal drops to like 8 in the evening on TP 18. All other TPs on 118 are between 40-50. There was another poster that was having the same issue. I called Dish and they wanted to send a tech and charge me for it. My dish has been installed for 1.5 years and never had a signal issue nor is there an LOS issue. I would be inclined to believe this is a TP issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)