119 Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Good evening, knowledgeable satellite guys people.

I have never set up a dish before in any way, shape, or form, other than pushing mine a little cuz I was loosing HD too easily in the rain. I would like to upgrade to receive the 119 satellite. I am SWM connected, receivers in signature. Three questions:

1. Would I need anything other than this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ish-(SL5)&sku=8546300074&tab=reviews&more=yes ?

2. What is the install like? Is it just popping the current 3 LNB (with 1 round white thing) and replacing it with the new one? How easy is it? I can't seem to find a video about this specific swap.

3. Is there any re-aligning that would need to be done? My dish is on my neighbor's balcony and I would hate to have to keep walking through his apt to make adjustments.

Thanks very much.

Going from a 5 to a 3, you probably don't need to make any adjustments. From a 3 to a 5 you may, since it hasn't been adjusted to get the 119 yet.

BTW, why do you want to get the 119 satellite? Is there a particular channel there?

I am just one of "those" people. I have to tune in everything available. My antenna has to receive all TV/radio stations it possibly can, even if I will never want to watch/listen to all of them. Since there are channels on the 119 that we all pay for and yet are not on the 3-LNB setup, and I have never tried to tune a satellite dish, I am considering it for my next mission as I have exhausted TV and radio for my area with my current antenna. Also, although not a Spanish speaker, I enjoy baseball on Fox Deportes, should I ever feel motivated to add the Spanish package, and my local Telefutura is not HD (it's a subchannel so it's not on Directv and not HD on cable either) and SD soccer is lame.

So you are going to install a 5 lnb in case you get the Spanish package? Why not wait until you order it, then Directv will have to come and swap your 3 for a 5 for free.

raoul5788 said:
So you are going to install a 5 lnb in case you get the Spanish package? Why not wait until you order it, then Directv will have to come and swap your 3 for a 5 for free.

I tried ordering the Mexico Plus package and since I only had the 3 lnb they said it would be $50 to install. What I did was wait until I was ready to order an additional receiver I wanted anyway and paid the $50 but at least they did both under the same fee.

I tried ordering the Mexico Plus package and since I only had the 3 lnb they said it would be $50 to install. What I did was wait until I was ready to order an additional receiver I wanted anyway and paid the $50 but at least they did both under the same fee.

I think you got some bad information. How long ago was this?

You should call back and see what they will do for you. The equipment required to receive any certain package isn't supposed to cost you anything.

They also said I needed a special dish but when the guy came out he just replaced the lnb. In all fairness, I did also order a receiver for a 4th room and was charged installation for that. I also got an HD receiver for $50.

In that case, they may have really charged you for the receiver and not the lnb upgrade.

I ordered both at the same time on purpose so that I was getting more bang for my 50 bucks

I didn't even "move" outside my DMA, which I regret now. I am on the very eastern edge of the Greensboro NC DMA. Directv only provides Bobcats games within 75 miles of Charlotte, so I "moved" to the very southern end of the Greensboro DMA as to be able to watch the opponents of the Bobcats. I had thought that moving to the Charlotte DMA would have caused me to have less baseball (I have Nats, Orioles, Reds, and Braves) and lose some NFL ST games but I have now learned that that's not true. Moving to the Charlotte DMA would give me a 3rd DMA (and 2 more PBS) on my receiver of HD locals, thanks to the AM21, as I can receive all of the Raleigh and most of the Greensboro channels with my antenna. The "move" did give me the Charlotte ABC. In SD...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)