120 cm dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elrorro315

Original poster
May 6, 2009
texas 77049
Iceberg:

I just got a 120 cm dish and scalar ring kit from WSI. I been following threads on this forum. I'm in Houston, Tx. I'm trying to get satmex 5. I already check footprint and settings on Lyngsat. I'm familiar with satellite installations. I made sure about line of site, leveling, etc. I used a bird dog meter, a super buddy and a coolsat 5000 as well to check signal. I couldn't get any signal even from ku. I tried with samller dish before WSI started selling conical scalar ring, and I got good signal on KU. The channels I'm trying to get are C Band.
Since the 120 cm Dish doesn't have any elevation scale, Do you have any formula to calculate elevation using an inclinometer?.
I have a Directv and a Dish 500 satellite dish mounted on my roof and I have both systems working at home, so I have a good reference about azimuth and elevation. I used a proffesional inclinometer also to verify elevation. I have clear line of site.
I'm using exactly the same hardware you showed in this forum.
I followed the tips I read here.
I tried everyting: (I think)
- I started playing with G-16 (99 W)
- I moved the LNB back and foward
- I turned skew
- I tried the KU part first
- I tried different LNBs
- I tried with and with out conical scalar ring
- I had no bad weather
- I made sure the mast was plumbed well

I tryied with different birds. I couldn't get any at all. (after using different LNBs)

Even when the instructions are in Chinese, I'm pretty sure the dish was put together well.

I did everyting manually. I'm not using any motor since I'm not interested in getting any other bird except Satmex 5.

Excuse me for dummy issues. I'm just frustrated.
I don't have any doubt about the hardware works good. I can see it on pictures.

I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

I would appreciate if you have a time to try with this satellite (Satmex 5) and post notes and pictures if possible.

Thanks in advance and thanks for wonderfull review.

Since the 120 cm Dish doesn't have any elevation scale, Do you have any formula to calculate elevation using an inclinometer?.
sadly no it was kinda a crap shoot. WHat I did was use a KU LNB or even a DBS LNB would work better. SInce DBS is strong you could move the dish more freely and try and lock 119W. Then you have a starting point. I did that with my KU dish. Put a DBS on there and found 91W, then switched to the setup to fine tune it.

Even when the instructions are in Chinese, I'm pretty sure the dish was put together well.
I learned those arms that are on the side need to be tightened really well. It looks like they wont work right but just tighten them down. They bend at the end which holds the arm much better

I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
when working with an undersized dish patience is the biggest thing

I would appreciate if you have a time to try with this satellite (Satmex 5) and post notes and pictures if possible.

problem I have is Satmex5 reception is very poor here in the Northern states so I dont think it would work right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)