120cm dish with C-Band performance - Now with HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Any luck with DVB on AMC3 with this setup?

So much great info in this thread.

Has anyone been able to pull in the TVU/Spirit mux at 3824H on AMC3 using a 1.2 and the offset feedhorn? This will be the deciding factor for me in whether to get a 1.2 or not. I see one of the more recent posts stating reception (barely) of the good doctor on AMC3 analog (TP20), but what about DVB on AMC3? I usually see quality in the 70's for these on my 10 footer and DRO.

Thanks.

MikeI said:
Experiments today with a 100 cm dish and the DMSI lnbf before the lnbf fell of the dish and broke and died before the 6 ft c-band dish comes on Thursday got me just analog feeds.

I got Dr Gene Scott on AMC 3 barely. NCAA Hockey feeds on G3 Tr's 4 and 22 and the ABC east coast feed on T5 were watchable, but you couldn't read the scores at all.

G4 Tr's 15, 16 & 17 (Soap Operas from Buena Vista), G11 C10 (Shop at Home) and IA 6 C8 (PBS) and 24 (CBS) were the clearest and watchable with some snow. Like watching on a 100 degree lnb in the 80's on a 10 ft dish.

I've ordered another lnbf and the 6 ft dish should be here on Thursday.

G4 Tr's 15, 16 were my strongest channels on my 90 cm Mini-Bud .

Now I am using a scrounged 10' perferated metal dish and the signal is HOT . With a 15 degree LNB . :)

Happy camper ! :)

Wyr

PS Dr Gene Scott has a strong signal , but I think these are old tapes . The picture is always fuzzy , to varing degrees . :-(

Last edited:
Das Hammer said:
So much great info in this thread.

Has anyone been able to pull in the TVU/Spirit mux at 3824H on AMC3 using a 1.2 and the offset feedhorn? This will be the deciding factor for me in whether to get a 1.2 or not. I see one of the more recent posts stating reception (barely) of the good doctor on AMC3 analog (TP20), but what about DVB on AMC3? I usually see quality in the 70's for these on my 10 footer and DRO.

Thanks.

I did the 90cm Mini-Bud as a worthwile experiment , but I already had the dish & the Stab HH100 motor . C band scalar ring , feed horn , polorotor & LNB was cheap ( used ) off of EBAY .

Also already had the analog receiver & DVB-s stuff , coax & control cable .

But ,if you can scrounge a 10' dish , all the world of difference .

Wyr

I've had a 10 footer for a while....just looking to take some of the demand off of it. I want to watch TVU on AMC3, but the wife wants to watch Lifetime. Wanted something I can play around with and not disrupt the rest of the family's TV watching.

Thought about installing one at the church too so the kids can watch at youth group or whenever.

This may be a long shot, but has anyone else tried doing this. I cut open the end of my spare c-band lnbf and duct taped :) my invacom to it. I don't know if it renders the c-band lnb useless (I haven't tried it yet), but my ku reception works just fine. I am on Hispasat right now and I am getting about 75% quality (about 5-10% less than before, but I really didn't do any tweaking, I just put it on there and eyeballed it).

Here are some pics I took with my phone camera (I couldn't find my digital camera so the quality is not that great).

dish1.jpg dish2.jpg dish3.jpg

Last edited:
vj999,
looks great, but could you please upload pics as attachments? Makes life easier for those of us on dialup (takes forever to download full size pics).

drhydro said:
vj999,
looks great, but could you please upload pics as attachments? Makes life easier for those of us on dialup (takes forever to download full size pics).

Done. Sorry, once you have fast connection you become ignorant :)

VERY nice! "Alex" a member here from AL. has tried this before, same principle as the CKU LNB I am testing right now!

Great work!

Sadoun said:
nice pictures VJ. Where did you get the scalar cone?

The only place that I could find it was eye in the sky. It came with the Astrotel PM-9/C-V/H Gold lnbf. I think my post when I got it last year is burried somewhere in the middle of this thread. They actually list it as an offset c-band lnbf.

vj9999 said:
The only place that I could find it was eye in the sky. It came with the Astrotel PM-9/C-V/H Gold lnbf. I think my post when I got it last year is burried somewhere in the middle of this thread. They actually list it as an offset c-band lnbf.

Ok. I saw also an Australian company selling it on the web. How is the setup working for you?

I have couple of the SCALAR CONES same as the picture above ,a LARGE HOLDER FOR THE LNBF is included ,if anybody is interested PM me.

hey VJ what happened to you, nice to see you back.

Last edited:
spindoctor said:
hey VJ what happened to you, nice to see you back.

I was hibernating through the winter :) just kidding, my kid was born 5 months ago so I haven't had much time :)

congratulations proud papa VJ
so is it a boy or a girl?

i see you moved the dish from the roof to the patio, nice job.

VJ,
Have you tested the offset scalar with Pas9? I am curious how it performs with Pas9 using 1.2m dish.
Ftarock

vj9999 said:
I was hibernating through the winter :) just kidding, my kid was born 5 months ago so I haven't had much time :)

Microbud

Well I got my first c band digitial today on g-11 the word network. I am using my 1.2 channel master. I am going to try g-10 next weekend. The picture was clear but on the pansat it was doing the 10 then 99 but the picture looked good.

Das Hammer said:
Hi, I'm still looking for anyone's findings with a 1.2 meter offset on AMC3.
So far, had one report of nothing. Anyone else????

Thank you.

Both of my c-band lnbs are busted. I did fix up one (opened it up and it was full of water). It is a lesser of two (gain/noise wise) and now it is also off in frequencies reported.

With that said, I was able to get a lock on TVU on amc3. Quality was about 40% and breakups every once in a while. I think results would be a little better with a better functioning lnbf.

vj9999 said:
Both of my c-band lnbs are busted. I did fix up one (opened it up and it was full of water). It is a lesser of two (gain/noise wise) and now it is also off in frequencies reported.

With that said, I was able to get a lock on TVU on amc3. Quality was about 40% and breakups every once in a while. I think results would be a little better with a better functioning lnbf.

VJ how did you get water in them? didn't you have the cover on?

or was it because of the opening for the KU lnb?

spindoctor said:
VJ how did you get water in them? didn't you have the cover on?

or was it because of the opening for the KU lnb?

I had it just sitting there on my dish for 4-5 months unplugged and I think the water got in through the cable connector hole. Just a lesson learned to water proof everything :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts