125 West AMC21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
2011-06-26_13-16-56_499.jpg2011-06-26_13-16-21_249.jpg

To steal a phrase from Ice. Ghetto setup for checking out AMC21. Works great just can not get OETA to come in lol. Same issue lots seem to have. Either way probably will be setting up a fixed dish for this sat. :D

OETA is kind of strange for me @ my location. It had been coming in good for the last year or so. Then one day it just stopped. The signal dropped to zero. I fiddled with the alignment for a couple of weekends. First with my birdog meter then with a TV/Receiver setup in the back yard. I was never able to make any improvements to the signal quality. I even re-did my string test thinking that maybe the wind "clam-shelled" my dish. I left the channel in my lineup and would check it from time to time. Last night it reappeared. My SQ was in the high seventies. I watched a couple of shows on OETA HD and everything seemed fine again even though I didn't change anything. This morning I turned it on and its gone again. Its very frustrating.

LPB is very touchy as well but acts differently. Anyway, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one of the Geosat 1.2 meter Ku offsets that SatelliteAV has on special. I'm pretty sure its just a "S2" thing and I just need to grab more signal from the satellite.

Last edited:
Other than the type of bricks used and the LNB (I'm using the stacked Dish FSS LNB from a Superdish), I have the identical dish and NPRM permanently mounted on my flat roof on that same satellite ;) ...

I found that a dual polarity lnb did not cut it for the S2 channels on 125w while the more sensitive Japanese made single polarity LNB did the job. I had to choose between OETA and LPB because they are on opposite polarities. OETA is truely one of the better channels of the bunch. (also using 4 ft dish).

Bricks aside, do you think maybe it's the difference between receivers?
And maybe also, the switch matrix used to get the signal to that receiver.
'Cause equal dishes 'n LNBs are not the only variables.

From my experience, there are differences between receivers. I have an Openbox s9 and a pansat 9200 connected to the same dish, using a dual .2 lnb and separate feeds from the dish to the receivers. The open box is very happy with Montana, LPB and OETA and well as the other PBS channels ( I do have a occasional glitch on Montana, but not enough to be a deal killer). The pansat will not receive Montana, and OETA and LPB are iffy, other channels are good. If I switch the cables, the differences remain with the receiver. The dish is a re-purposed HughesNet (approx 1m).

Looking from the front of the dish I have the top of lnbf at around 10 o'clock (12 o'clock being straight up). I use a 0.3 standard lnbf. Most satellites lnbf is mostly straight up, 12 o'clock. But, since I have a stand alone dish just like yours I thought I would chime in. I receive OETV fine, LPBN is a little harder to pick up. I live in MS and use an AZBOX Elite.

In my case, there is a difference with different versions of firmware in the same receiver. Newer firmware in my Solomend brings in LPBN and OETA for my 90cm dish, but Montana PBS breaks up bad, if it comes in at all. With old firmware, Montana doesn't show a signal and the others break up bad.

On my 10ft mesh dish, old firmware brings in Montana PBS perfectly, with only minor breakup on the other two. Newer firmware has very minor occasional breakup with Montana and severe breakup with the other two.

So many variables...

I am running this on the Diamond 9000hd so far the PBS channels are fine. I still have not been able to get the OETA channels but have not really tried to hard. I have not tried the LPBN at all. I thought about putting the azbox premium plus back in place and see how it does. but been too lazy and busy watching tv :)

All my dishes are fixed at this point. I might one day put motorized in but not sure why I would when I have tons of dishes that I can just setup as fixed :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)