Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Is the BBC channel listed still open sometimes or isit gone? I actually pull p two channels, one standard and the other AC3, but both appear to be encrypted?

I think it's still there but it's encrypted now which is utterly ridiculous as there is not a single provider who carries BBC World News in HD. They could at least leave it in the clear until they get somebody to agree to carry it. Spending thousands of dollars renting transponder space for an unused HD feed is the definition of waste.

If I was a British citizen I sure would be pissed. Brits have to pay hundreds of dollars a year to fund the BBC and it seems like such a bloated organization.

I think it's still there but it's encrypted now which is utterly ridiculous as there is not a single provider who carries BBC World News in HD. They could at least leave it in the clear until they get somebody to agree to carry it. Spending thousands of dollars renting transponder space for an unused HD feed is the definition of waste.

I didn't realise BBC World was being produced in HD, because it isn't available anywhere here in Europe in HD, you maybe confusing it with a DVB-S2 transponder and or with it being 16:9 SD as it is here in Europe?

The BBC World News is actually produced completely in HD and then outputted to 16:9 SD for global distribution which is pretty pathetic for an organization as large as the BBC is.

Last year, we were all surprised to see a native HD feed of BBC World News on this satellite. Then it went away. Never seen a peep from the BBC about it. This is the latest thread at Rick's about it. It was 1080i H.264 video @ 10 Mbps.

Looks like I'll be sticking with NHK World HD as standard definition has NO place in the year 2012. :)

The BBC World News is actually produced completely in HD and then outputted to 16:9 SD for global distribution which is pretty pathetic for an organization as large as the BBC is.

Last year, we were all surprised to see a native HD feed of BBC World News on this satellite. Then it went away. Never seen a peep from the BBC about it. This is the latest thread at Rick's about it. It was 1080i H.264 video @ 10 Mbps.

Looks like I'll be sticking with NHK World HD as standard definition has NO place in the year 2012. :)

BBC World is funded by advertising/carriage deals so I can understand them not willing to pay for international distribution in HD unless someone offers up the cash.

Then why can NHK World do it? For a network as prestigious as the BBC you would think they would be able to find enough providers across Europe and Asia who would be willing to carry a HD feed. Not America of course, as we all know there's a conspiracy here to keep foreign media out of the mainstream and the American people looking firmly inward.

From what I have seen of NHK World HD it has zero commercials so if BBC World News has commercials this is yet another way they should be able to fund a HD feed.

Then why can NHK World do it? For a network as prestigious as the BBC you would think they would be able to find enough providers across Europe and Asia who would be willing to carry a HD feed. Not America of course, as we all know there's a conspiracy here to keep foreign media out of the mainstream and the American people looking firmly inward.

From what I have seen of NHK World HD it has zero commercials so if BBC World News has commercials this is yet another way they should be able to fund a HD feed.

BBC isn't a network, it's a multi channel broadcaster either commercial or public depending on the channel, BBC World and the BBC for UK audiences are separate entities.

NHK World I believe is funded by the Japanese license fee unlike BBC World which is not funded by the UK's neither does it receive funding from the Foreign Office like BBC World Service.

I don't see being in HD as prestigious its content that counts. The UK has only one HD news channel and that's SKY News, BBC does not broadcast any news except its Breakfast Show in HD in the UK.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts