129 or 77/72

jmz44

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I am in Latham NY. If I have a choice, which should I go with. My current setup is HD dish on roof pointing to 61.5 (for HD locals) and a super dish on the ground for 110 (SD locals)/119. My understanding from reading various posts is that I need 110 to populate the locals guide info in the EPG. Does the EA dish cover 110/119/129 with good signals on all three or should I ask the tech to repoint (or change the rooftop dish) to get 61.5/77/72? Is this possible and would the signals be good for both my locals and dish HD channels? The tech is coming this afternoon and I would like to have as much info as possible. Thanks

You are in one of those "weird" areas where Dish only carries the Big4 networks in HD on Eastern Arc. They do not carry them on Western Arc so to get your locals in HD you need EA

Here is the issue...the other locals that you have in the market that Dish only carries in SD (CW, My, PBS, Ind etc) they ONLY carry on 110. Some markets they mirror them on EA (Minneapolis is one of them)

So to get all your local channels you need a EA dish + a dish at 110 only. So really all the tech will do is replace the 61.5 dish with a EA dish and replace the LNB on the other dish with a DP at 110 only to wire that into the EA dish

Sadly you will still have 2 dishes

You are in one of those "weird" areas where Dish only carries the Big4 networks in HD on Eastern Arc. They do not carry them on Western Arc so to get your locals in HD you need EA

Here is the issue...the other locals that you have in the market that Dish only carries in SD (CW, My, PBS, Ind etc) they ONLY carry on 110. Some markets they mirror them on EA (Minneapolis is one of them)

So to get all your local channels you need a EA dish + a dish at 110 only. So really all the tech will do is replace the 61.5 dish with a EA dish and replace the LNB on the other dish with a DP at 110 only to wire that into the EA dish

Sadly you will still have 2 dishes
i just got told i cant have EA and a 110- i'm telling her diff

uh yes you can

Eastern Arc has an input for another satellite...so it can be any other sat Dish has
hell even 121 if you are a business customer

I know plenty of folks who have that setup (EA & 110 dish)

talk to a supervisor if you need to

The EA dish allows a 4 satellite slot. Folks who have INt'l channels and EA use the 4th slot for 118.7
You're just using it for 110 :)

I have 61.5 now- how hard would it be to get 72.7 not that far off
boy this tech is making me work for it- she doesnt seem to be able to put 2 + 2 together
she seems to head strong about just eastern arc with no 110 - which i can live with but now just want to be stubborn
now she asks if i am doing install - christ woman

Last edited:
uh yes you can

Eastern Arc has an input for another satellite...so it can be any other sat Dish has
hell even 121 if you are a business customer

I know plenty of folks who have that setup (EA & 110 dish)

This is not a case of CSR roulette. This confirms exactly what I have been told for two days now. There are certain DMAs Albany NY for example that they will not allow upgrades for, because according to them they are moving the locals to another satellite (and they probably do not know which one yet), Our locals used to be on 121 and there were major issues with reception so they were moved to 105 before 110/119 . I have contacted Dish over and over and their computers will not allow an upgrade. If you do it yourself that may be another matter, but Dish will not authorize the install.

If anyone is successful in the Albany DMA to get Dish to do an install please report back.

$th chat of day ends with rep gonna get this done for me and will call me back on tuesday. Does not think new channels will show up on 61.5.

This is not a case of CSR roulette. This confirms exactly what I have been told for two days now. There are certain DMAs Albany NY for example that they will not allow upgrades for, because according to them they are moving the locals to another satellite (and they probably do not know which one yet), Our locals used to be on 121 and there were major issues with reception so they were moved to 105 before 110/119 . I have contacted Dish over and over and their computers will not allow an upgrade. If you do it yourself that may be another matter, but Dish will not authorize the install.

If anyone is successful in the Albany DMA to get Dish to do an install please report back.

Albany was on 121 because at the time DIsh wanted to get a bunch of locals up. When they brought up Echo 11 at 110 (with its tons of spotbeams) Dish moved the locals to 110 and got rid of 105 & 121 all together. 121 is still used for some Business channels.

Dish as of right now is not moving the SD locals to EA. In fact checking the spotbeam for that market, they CANT. All Tp's on that spotbeam are full
There are 4 TP's in that spotbeam and all have either 8 HD channels or 4 HD & 8 SD channels on them

I would just have them do the EA upgrade then attach the 110 LNB after the fact ;)
checking thelist on 110 you only have CW & PBS that are SD only. The big 4 are in HD on EA

Followup on getting 129 for new HD channels. I called Tech Support last night at 4:50. She was unaware of the problems many of us have encountered re getting the new HD channels but quickly offered to see what she could do to help. I was put on hold several times as she worked through various computer setbacks but she never left me hanging. At one point she answered my question on the cost and said it was free with no 2 yr committment. She finally hit a snag that she couldn't fix & called a supervisor. The supv immediately transferred me to advanced tech support. He knew about the problem and again several holds while he worked through trying to get me set up for a tech to come to the house. I verified again that there would be no cost to me. We talked about EA but he could not guarantee it.

The tech showed 1/2 hour after his call. He replaced the dish on the ground carrying 110/119 with another that now carries 110/119/129. He did not touch the 61.5 dish on the roof which was fine with me. He also changed out the DP34 for a DPP44 with a brick power supply. I also verified there was no charge for the work. His work order stated that 2 hours had already been paid by Dish. Anything after 2 hours was at my cost of $60/hr. The job took 1 1/2 hours. I now have the new HD at no cost and am very happy. I am watching Dr. Who in HD and it looks great.

p.s. I don't have the DHPP and it was never mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)