$150 fee to move VOOM?

Failed Engineer

Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
This is what I was quoted as by a CSR. I just wanted to come here to verify this information. I most likely will be moving within the next two months, and have no intention to swallow that fee. I just pushed back my install date (which was to be tomorrow :( ) to the beginning of August just in case.

If any of you could verify soon, I would appreciate it because if there is no fee maybe I can still get this thing installed tomorrow (well, pending the stupid non-stop rain here in Houston)

I wouldn't doubt it, its around $200 for a seond rcvr install I believe.

Kind of a stupid policy when D* tells you to leave the dish at the old house and they will hook you up at the new one, good advertising.

Voom will loose my business is this is the policy that they are using for people who move. Its total BULL !@!#$@

Seanb61 said:
Voom will loose my business is this is the policy that they are using for people who move. Its total BULL !@!#$@[/QUOTE

you could just cancel with them and then sign up again.......couldn't you?

Wouldn't that work?

DBENE said:
Seanb61 said:
Voom will loose my business is this is the policy that they are using for people who move. Its total BULL !@!#$@[/QUOTE

Wouldn't that work?

Doesn't VOOM ban you from signing up again for a certain period of time after you cancel? Either that or make you pay if you resign up? I thought it was one of the two.

DBENE said:
Seanb61 said:

Wouldn't that work?

Perhaps, but I don't think that they would give you the free insatall twice. I could sign up under the fake name I use to commit all my fraud though.... lol just kidding.

Please read this thread. If you own the equipment, you will need to pay. If you lease, it will be done free.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=14525&highlight=moving

Call again and speak to another CSR or supervisor.

Here's the exact quote from astrossuperfan

Ok so I bit the bullet and sat on hold with Voom. Turns out if you are a lease customer, you can call Voom and they will deinstall at your old place, then reinstall at your new place FOR FREE. They treat it like a cancellation and a new signup.

I know what your next question is before you ask it: What happens after May 31st and the install is $199 for new customers? I was told that even after May 31st you can get the install free and continue on as though you were at your old address.

Now if you own your equipment, voom sticks it to you by telling you to move your own stuff, BUT THEY HAVE TO INSTALL IT. Over $100; no joke. Good thing I'm not a charter member.

I look at it one of two ways...

1) If I want to move and will set up the Voom equipment (dish, antenna, wiring) at my new place myself, I shouldn't pay anything.

2) If I want to move and I want Voom to set it all up for me again, then I would fully expect to pay an install fee.

So which is it you were trying to do?

That's BS. When I was going to move with Voom I called and asked what the policy was. She said that I wouldnt pay a thing, and they treat it like you are canceling and signing up as a new sub. Since the free install promo is still going on, this shouldn't be a problem.

Call them and tell them you are going to cancel and sign up with D* at your new place, trust me, they will move you for free.

Now that is just silly. If you own the equipment you should have every right to install it yourself ($0), have VOOM install it ($150), or have an independant installer install it (less than $150). What is VOOM's policy on equipment owners who deinstall and reinstall at another location on the same property at the same address?

I have to wonder how many company policies of any company actually violate state or local laws. I wouldn't doubt this one violates some kind of property rights law.

Since the VOOM service targets the "well to do" of society they really need to watch themselves before they get into endless court cases with disgruntled deep pocket subscribers.

If I own the equipment and move, you know what I would do. Self-Deinstall and then Self-Install. I would call them back after install and say, "BTW, can you change my address". What are they going to do at that point? Cancel my account. Just an opinion.

Ok I called back again to see if I could clarify the situation. This time I spoke to what seemed to be a well informed CSR, and then asked to speak to a manager to follow up the CSRs info.

They (both the manager and CSR gave the same info) said that at the moment, there is no "moving fee" but that is being discussed and could change in the next couple of weeks, most likely after July 5th. If someone moves prior to July 5th, VOOM WILL MOVE FOR FREE if you lease. If you move after July 5th, there may be a fee associated with the move (because they treat it as a cancellation and new account, and the new account will be subject to the current promotion). The CSR told me that if VOOM continues with the current promotion (waiving installation and activation) then probably there will not be a moving fee. I decided to play it safe and just get VOOM installed in August. I guess it will be another month until I get on the VOOM train. Sucks for me. I don't hate Directv but I do hate my Samsung TS160. What a piece of junk. And I'll have to use it for the next month and a half.

As usual, take all this info with a grain of salt, considering the source.

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on moving within 2 months. I don't have the place yet but I'm definitely looking for one with a clear line of sight to the voom bird.

I decided to go ahead and get the install now and if I have to pay later for a reinstall, so be it. Of course I would rather it be free (and will do everything I can to get it for free), but I don't think it's completely unreasonable for them to charge for a reinstall within two months, especially if you already got one free install and a no contract offer. You always have the option of waiting till you finally move, like you did.

I could have waited and made sure, but I'm tired of dtv's "HD package"...all what, 4 channels for $10.99/mo?? :rolleyes:

Also, when I asked I was told the reinstall could end up being either free or $125.00, not the 150.00 you were told. I wonder why I was given a different $$ amount? Could it be because they don't really have a set policy on this yet and are more or less improvising as they go along?

Well I moved to another apartment 3 weeks ago. I stayed in the same complex with the same phone number. Only my Apt # has changed. I moved the dish and receiver myself and to this day I have not called Voom to tell them. After my installation nightmare (2 different installers) I wasn't going to go thru their crap again. When I finally call Voom to give them the new apt # if they want to cut off my service, they can.

Voom and Moving

I have a quick question. I know this has probably been covered before but I don't feel like searching for it. :) Does Voom have a mover's program like DISH and Directv have?

Reason I ask is our house is up for sale but I have a Voom appointment next week for install. I didn't want to wait until we moved to get Voom because it could take a few more months if not longer to sell. We've been looking at apartments and I have been making sure to look at ones that give me an LOS to 61.5

Does anyone know if Voom has this program?

I'm in a similar situation...I'm looking at buying a condo. I've gotten two stories from Voom. One is that they will charge 125.00 for a reinstall at the new place. The other is that they will do it for free. Not sure which one to believe since both came from their CSRs.

do what someone suggested to avoid the "fee" simply get the service, then when you move cancell it..

as soon as you are set with the new house re-order again...

easy (unless of course they now start charging for installation after 7/06) which might be more money anyway so in that case order now and pay that moving fee :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)