157 West

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I read somewhere, (maybe lyngsat a few months back or somewhere else?) that there's an echostar at 157 or so west that was originally the Echostar for Hawaii and Alaska.

Is that true? Any FTA up there? Just curious. I've been starting to explore the edges of the arc more now that I've actually got my motor moving along the arc way better than it ever has before...

Also, I think there's some Dept. of Defense thing called TRDS at 151 west. I'm pretty sure there's nothing up there, but interesting nevertheless...

Oddly, they use a spotbeam from 119 for Hawaii, instead of 148, which I think would be easier. It's annoying that I would need a separate dish for TV Japan on 148, when it's on 119, but as a spotbeam for Hawai. Seems bass ackwards to me.

157 was an old crippled bird that is now at 77 and is going to be used for Mexico. There is nothing at 157 right now (when it was at 157 there were a couple transponders with locals on them just to keep the satellite warm)

Gary Hawaii can't see 148..footprint doesn't go there

GaryPen said:
They can't adjust the footprint via spot beams like they do with 119? It seems like it would make it easier for them to hit it from there.

The satellites at 148 are echostar 1 and 2, which wheew origionally configured for use at the 119 orbital position.

The conus beams cannot be changed once the satellite is launched.

Funney thing is that being in Detroit with a 10 degree look angle I get an excellent signal on 148.

GaryPen said:
They can't adjust the footprint via spot beams like they do with 119? It seems like it would make it easier for them to hit it from there.

Are you going to fly up there and add the spot beam feature to these older CONUS only birds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Do you have a separate dish for G10?

AC-3 Coolsat 5000 question ? ? ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)