15k internet cfl dma

billc

Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
15mbps internet cfl dma

Would appreciate speed results feedback on newer 15mbps service.Is it delivering as advertised?For the record I've noticed since the addition of the 15mbps tier my normally solid 7mbps has dropped about 20 to 25%.Any similar experience? Thanks,Bill

Last edited:
Good point!

In Tampa Bay they've just upped to 15 & 20 Mbps and I was already seeing some slower results on my 7 Mbps when they first added the initial 10 & 15 Mbps tier. I've been out of town since this latest increase but I know my home security cams are running much slower especially in the last week. My Frames Per Second have now dropped down to 1 & under per camera. :rolleyes:

I have the upgraded plan and I can tell you I get great speeds,

Last Test Date:
7/20/2008
Total Tests Taken:
Fastest Download:
14381 kb/s
Fastest Upload:
1849 kb/s
Average Download:
10008 kb/s
Average Upload:
1603 kb/s

Billc wasn't talking about the upgraded plan having great speed...he was talking about standard plan speeds going DOWN possibly because of giving their bandwidth to the higher speed people.

Billc wasn't talking about the upgraded plan having great speed...he was talking about standard plan speeds going DOWN possibly because of giving their bandwidth to the higher speed people.

Well when he said

"Would appreciate speed results feedback on newer 15mbps service.Is it delivering as advertised?"

I thought he meant "Please provide me with any speed results of the new 15mbps speed service, I would like to know if it is really getting those speeds and if its worth getting.

But maybe thats just me.:D

You are quite correct...but (in my defense) both billc and scroll were talking about their standard rates going DOWN.

So, if they didn't pose the question, I will: is bandwidth being taken from standard customers (without a reduction in their price) to provide the faster speeds for the higher tiers?

He did pose that question when he asked

"for the record I've noticed since the addition of the 15mbps tier my normally solid 7mbps has dropped about 20 to 25%.Any similar experience? Thanks,Bill"

But since I do not have that speed package I can not answer it, because I have not experianced any slow downs only an increase.

The network is designed in a "priority" type system. Obviously voice wins, then internet. Then its a "first come first serve" type basis, with slow downs going down the line as the pipe gets clogged. A simple example is say im using 15mbit and your using the max 7mbit and there is no more bandwidth. Then somoene else logs in and uses 5mbit.. Well say we each lose 2.5mbit, of course that would drop you to 4.5 and me to 13.5 so I would not notice the slowdown nearly as much as you. So its not so much they are "takeing" bandwidth away its just that if there is only 100mbit on the pipe, (not the case) and its divided by customers, those with the higher speeds will not notice any slowdown as much as those on the slower speeds.

So not having the lower tier I can not really judge if I have noticed any slow downs, however it really depends on the node you are located. Some nodes (like mine) have very little traffic, if you live in say a apartment complex which has a lot of passings for a single node, you maybe a bit slower, specially if its like in a college area (where p2p type stuff is big)

So its really on a per node basis. Ive seen nodes with 250+ modems on them (we usally turn them in to try to get them split) and Ive seen nodes with 10 modems. Obviously the least modems in a node the better your response.

Slightly off the topic but I recently learned that I was using my QoS incorrectly. I thought it went 1, 2, 3... for priority when in fact you have to go by increments of 50 or more, so 10, 60, 110. Go figure! I still don't know how to tweak the numbers but everything is now running WAY better. :D

When I made this change and limited the bandwidth on my home security cameras by camera I found that my download speeds now run from 5.5 - 6.3 and I have 300 - 350 upload speed available even with 2 Vonage lines & 2 Tivos. So I'm now thinking that my drop from other users on my node is not as bad as I had first thought and that much of my slower speeds and lack of available bandwidth was my own network being poorly configured.

This is great news for me because it means I can delay upgrading to the faster speeds and required Digital tier cable as money is really tight at the moment. Didn't really want or need the cable channels anyway.

Switched from U-verse to Bright House

We just switched back to Bright House from U-verse and upgraded to 15 Mbps. I just ran a speed test at speakeasy and received 13909 kbps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts