2.80 dramatically hurt my HD PQ

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
The title says it all...

I just got 2.80 sometime today. Now ,the HD channels have lots of compression artifacts (with 2.69, compression artifact was only detectable with quick pans, etc on my 61" DLP). My OTA looks worse, too. Since 2.80, the color saturation was too high but I resolved that with my monitor settings. This is discouraging :mad:

Monitor is a Samsung DLP: HLN617W (using component). The only thing that changed is the software "upgrade".

Did anyone else notice this PQ decrease since 2.80?

I haven't noticed a decrease in quality, and I am one of the sensitive folk that can tell.

Not to insult your intellegence, but you didnt' accidently hit page up or something and have it zoomed in or something?

Maybe is in my head but I think my SD actually got a little better with 2.80 and my HD looks just as good as before.

On my plasma, the color saturation on the DVI seems somewhat better with p280, but still is not quite as good as component. Does anyone know whether this issue was affected by p280?

I think the DVI color saturation with P280 is much improved. I just posted this in another thread. :)

My picture quality has become much more compressed looking. Watching soccer in SD is very fuzzy, compaired to 2.69 which had a pretty crisp picture. Sure hope its something they correct.

Steve

Since P280, I have tried DVI and S-Video. Before p280, SD was better on s-video as compared to DVI. There really was no comparison. Now, the DVI is better, although the s-Video still is good. Component and DVI now have comparable color saturation, with the DVI being a bit sharper.

2.80 Cant Be Stopped!!!

OK, my 811 Died 2 days later the new one showed up. I turned auto sw upgrade off (ASK FOR PERMISSION) and ran the check switch. It rebooted ran the searching for sat went through all 5 steps then downloaded the DAM(n) 2.80 software. The box had .058 on itit had a diff Bootstrap version then my old one. 1013, where old one was 1012. The funny thing was when it arrived it came factory sealed in a 811 box. Opened it and What appears to be a brand new one was in side. NO ACCESSORIES, or anything. It appears Dish has some manufactured for replacements. Pretty bad they have a product so bad they RMA ready boxes. This unit doesnt appear to be a refurb no scratches on any screws or on/around cable connectors. Smells new too! I think I will give Dish till the end of the year to get this right and If D* has a enticing HD plan with good quality equipment (which they currently have) I am gone! FYI.......

811 weird "pause-jumps" after 280

While I haven't had time to really test everything, I have noticed one weird thing since 280.

Last night, watching a movie on DSCHD, can't remember the name but it was something about a woman stranded in the woods with a wolf caught in a trap. It was with Anne Archer and Robert Urich. It caught my attention since I didn't realize DSCHD even ran movies.

Anyway, although the PQ and color looked good, the video kept doing a weird "pause jump" thing, almost like a slow motion frame jump but the audio wasn't skipping or anything, it was just the picture doing it. It wasn't constant and one time I got it to stop by flipping up a channel and back.

WaltinVt

Yeah mine still looks the same! Folks need to remember that the updates are going to effect everyone TV set differently! So just because the update might have changed things on your set does not mean other folks set will have any effects. The PQ on the HD should be the same might just half to adjust your set.

Worse

In my case, I can say this:
Since 2.80 was received yesterday, my HD PQ is about the same; where I am noticing a drastic difference is on the SD channels. They are much worse...and it doesn't appear to be anything that re-calibrating the set will correct. (This was the first thing I noticed after receiving 2.80). I'm seeing some granularity issues & just overall washing out of colors. I also noticed something else I didn't detect before 2.80 & that is: for some reason if I'm listening to one of the Sirius channels (doesn't matter which one) & I press the guide button, the audio breaks up drastically for about 3 seconds. Is this something new or has anyone had this issue prior to 2.80? :mad:

Ken

Since 2.80 I haven't noticed anything weird at all. The NFL preseason game on ESPNHD looked absolutely beautiful last night on my 53" Panasonic RPTV. No complaints by me, but I'd like to know what the update was all about???

Well, Those of you with PQ complaints, it would be helpful if you told us what inputs you are using at least.

120inna55 said:
You mean, like this?

yup, good boy :yes Now if we can just get someone else to do it :D

if you are all using component, then we might have a makings of a new bug list :shocked

OdiOdin said:
Well, Those of you with PQ complaints, it would be helpful if you told us what inputs you are using at least.

I use Svideo by default because it provides my set with the best picture, DVI picture (sd picture) gets much worse. Set is a Mitsubishi 65" projection, less than a year old. Picture was crisp and clear and now looks so fuzzy you can't even make out small forms. (ie soccer player running with ball). News in general looks like crap, big disappointment.

Also have a 510 plugged in right along side to compare and the 510 blows the sd picture away.. when before they were comparable.

I have a Sammy DLP hooked to my 811 via DVI. 2.80 didn't change anything that I can see. DVI color washout came with 2.69 and I don't think 2.80 improved things any. HD problems also came with 2.69, but I don't think it is the software. About the same time as the 2.69 download, E* started trying to get more HD channels per transponder. Every since, watching E* HDTV isn't the same, although sometimes on some HD channels things still look good. I've noticed the most problems with the Dish Olympic HD channel, TNT-HD, and DISHD.

Carl B said:
I've noticed the most problems with the Dish Olympic HD channel, TNT-HD, and DISHD.

I have been watching a lot of HD Olympic coverage and I have not noticed any difference in terms of quality between the Dish's HD channel and OTA HD Channel. I have been going back and forth and for me the PQ is identical. I have noticed that when you first switch to DishHD you get some artifacts, however that clears up after a second or two and I have not seen any more artifacts or loss of picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts