2 DVR's same problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bamereihn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
When my system was installed one of m,y original receivers was an R15 dvr. I would ocasionaly get a searching for signal on 2 message, I called and they said I must have had a bad wire from the splitter so i swapped it and it was now searching on 1. I replaced that wire and it worked for a while then I would get searching for signal on 1 over and over and to resolve this I would unplug 2 and reconnect it and it would work for a few hours. I thought I must have had a bad dvr so I just got the HR21, new black HD DVR, and I have the same problem. Ideas?

When my system was installed one of m,y original receivers was an R15 dvr. I would ocasionaly get a searching for signal on 2 message, I called and they said I must have had a bad wire from the splitter so i swapped it and it was now searching on 1. I replaced that wire and it worked for a while then I would get searching for signal on 1 over and over and to resolve this I would unplug 2 and reconnect it and it would work for a few hours. I thought I must have had a bad dvr so I just got the HR21, new black HD DVR, and I have the same problem. Ideas?

If you swapped the outputs and it it moved with the output, it's not the rec itself.
You said you replaced the wire, provided the connectors are good on the new wire (probably are fine), I would look into these areas....
The wire you replaced, is it going to a ground block or directly to the dish ?
If going to the ground block, also check the other side going to the LNB.
If it goes directly to the LNB, it's probably your LNB, provided your dish is correctly pointed. (My bet is the LNB is bad.)
You are using the 5 LNB set up correct ?

btw, :welcome to the site :)

Jimbo

I'm guessing that is your problem. You can not use splitters with a D* system. Each input needs to be run directly from the LNB/Ground Block/Multiswitch to the unit.

I'm guessing that is your problem. You can not use splitters with a D* system. Each input needs to be run directly from the LNB/Ground Block/Multiswitch to the unit.

IWC,
Good catch, somehow I missed that ....

bamereihn,
Check the splitter issue first, as IWC said, NO splitter allowed on the D* side of the receiver.

If that doesn't do it, then go back to what I mentioned...

Jimbo

If a splitter cant be used why would the D* installer use one initially?

im not at home but im pretty sure it is a 900-2150 mhz splitter

What the installer set up is a single coax wire coming out of the wall and going to the pictured splitter and the 2 wires going to each receiver of the dvr

What the installer set up is a single coax wire coming out of the wall and going to the pictured splitter and the 2 wires going to each receiver of the dvr

I'm not sure on this one, but I'm thinking it may be your problem, can you bypass it and see what happens.
I cannot tell if thats a standard splitter or something satellite specific.

Take a stab at this IWC ...

edit, Well it's definatly a sat splitter, my experience with sat splitters are, DONT.
Like I mentioned , try bypassing it and see if your problem goes away.

Jimbo

If a splitter cant be used why would the D* installer use one initially?
It is possible, even likely that you've misidentified the device in question. It is also possible that the installer was an idiot.

After looking at the picture of the splitter, I can confirm that the installer was an idiot.

How long has it been since your incomplete installation?

It is possible, even likely that you've misidentified the device in question. It is also possible that the installer was an idiot (or accustomed to doing DISH Network installations).

Does this "splitter" have any identifying markings on it?

Harsh,
you can click on the link in my post above, it has a photo of it.

Jimbo

Are you using a 5 LNB set up dish ?
Was this splitter installer prior to you going to the 5 LNB set up ?

Jimbo

im sorry i dont know what a 5 LNB is but i have an HD dish and that splitter was there before the HD dish

im sorry i dont know what a 5 LNB is but i have an HD dish and that splitter was there before the HD dish
Was the splitter part of an earlier satellite installation, or was it for cable or a conventional antenna?

A splitter cannot be used to feed two inputs of a DIRECTV receiver.

The 5 LNB dish is the newest stuff, it sees all 5 sats although there are only 3 eyes that you would see.

There is the old Sidecar style and the newer Slimline one, sorry , I don't have pictures.

IF you are getting the NEW HD channels then you have the 5 LNB set up.

Jimbo

Was the splitter part of an earlier satellite installation, or was it for cable or a conventional antenna?

A splitter cannot be used to feed two inputs of a DIRECTV receiver.
directv installed that spliter

After re reading your post, you are getting the HD channels because you have the Black rec., thats an HR21, so I would bet that you have the 5 LNB set up.

I was also concerned that that splitter would not allow for the higher frequencies that are used with the new stuff.

How many receivers are you currently using in your set up thruout the house ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts