2 Hopper question

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I currently have a 1 Hopper 2 Joey set up at my house. I am thinking about replacing one of the Joeys with another Hopper w Sling. First question, does anyone know of a way to tell what kind of coax cable is run to my Joey that I want to replace? I looked at the cable that I can see and didn't see any kind of writing on it. I'm worried that it might not be the right kind of coax and it's installed in the wall. So if it's not right I'm pretty well screwed. Also what kind of coax cable do I need for the Hopper?

Second question how is the integration between two Hoppers? I know that a Joey can link to either Hopper and use it's tuners or access it's recordings. I also know that one Hopper can't use the tuners off another Hopper, it can only view the recordings on the other Hopper. However, can you manage the recordings and timers on the other Hopper?

Ideally you want RG6 on the hopper lines. Preferably rated to 3Ghz.

I would definitely not use RG59 on the hopper lines. That's just asking for trouble at some point.

That's what I thought. Does it have to be RG6 from the satellite to the solo node? If it does then I have RG6 going to the Joey that I want to replace because it's the same cable. I read that RG6 is significantly thicker than RG59 and this stuff is awfully thick.

Would it work to try my Hopper in the location where I want to replace the Joey? If the Hopper works then I know I have RG6 and if it doesn't think I know I'm sol.

I ran all of this cable myself about three years ago when I had some walls torn apart. I wish I could remember what kind I used.

I have RG59 from my Hopper to the Joey with no issues. That's the way my house was originally wired. RG6 from sat to Hopper.
It may work for a time in certain situations/length, but it's physically different cable than RG6. If you're looking for a reliable system for the long term, you'll use at least RG6 for the hopper lines.

In the OP's case, it may already be RG6. I would guess you may be able to sort out the difference by measuring the diameter of the center conductor of the cable. IIRC, RG59 uses a smaller center conductor. I will obviously defer to the experts on satguys on how to identify cable though....

The Hopper and Hopper with Sling receivers need RG6 rated to at least 3GHz (3000MHz). Dish recommends their technicians run new lines to hoppers because they are really finicky with older lower standard cable.

The joeys can use almost any labeled coax cable. I've installed then on decade old RG59 2150MHz lines before.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

Ive got RG6 built into my house and the Hopper is running fine, so Id assume the cable is fine.

I just wonder if the little tap in the junction area is enough to run two hoppers. Current it just has the in from the Node, then one out to Host (current Hopper) and one out to Client (Joey). Could I run the CLient side to a second Hopper?

Not to takeover someones thread but I figured since there was already a thread on 2 Hoppers...

I just took a peek outside, I only have a Solo Node. I guess if I read the diagrams properly that would have to be exchanged for a Duo Node, with a second wire running from it directly to the junction area, to feed the second hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)