Sling without cloud (entirely local LAN/WLAN)

Getut

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
My 722 just failed and I have one of the new version hoppers (the one with integrated sling and wifi) due tomorrow.

I am really concerned about cloud usage. Will I be able to use my sling functionality 100% locally and disconnected from the internet?

i.e. without having to login to an external server from a PC or android device connected to my WLAN. I feel all my usernames and passwords and access control should be 100% controlled by me, not a third party entity. I'm an IT security guy so I'm kind of anal about things being in the cloud that shouldn't be and I sure don't think its OK to ask a remote server under someone elses control for permission to get into my DVR, that and they don't need to track who/when/where accesses it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fact you answered, but yuck to the answer.

Why do I have ask someone else to get access to my recordings? Cloud services are getting ridiculous. This is a local service on a local device so why should authentication be under someone elses control, especially when it is a device inside my network?

I'm sure it isn't Dish that wants it that way. It is the greedy content providers who demand it. Dish doesn't want to maintain a server farm to parse out copyright keys. They have to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts