Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
So I saw a post by Hindu55 showing an LNB cover he had fashioned from a ziptie jar. It was cool looking and I liked it. Wether it was practical or not, it was cheap. It started me thinking about doing the same thing. But the ziptie jar was just too short for me. I started looking at pop bottles and came up with this design using 1/2 of a 4" PVC pipe coupler and a 2 liter bottle. Covers my DMX741

Attachments

• SAM_0007.JPG
    SAM_0007.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 319
The foot of the bottle has 5 toes. I cut the end off a toe and siliconed it to the top of the bottle.

THIS is why I love this hobby. Like minded people doing things off the wall, and doing a damn good job at it.

BTW the bottom of a 20 oz. bottle cut off will fit over the mouth to keep wasps out. ;)

Looks really nice, but my concerns would be...

1) The additional right angle "F" connectors would cause some signal loss.
2) The LNBF would overheat or moisture would collect within the bottle causing damage to the LNBF.

My feed horn has a couple of very tiny holes in it to allow water/condensation to drain... Perhaps a couple of holes for drainage would help. (just in case)

Actually it's not at all air tight. There is an access hole on the side you don't see to get at the set screw that holds the LNB to the scaler ring. There is an air gap around the LNB where it goes thru the scaler ring. Definately an experiment here. The bottle part comes off easily and I have ideas for painted versions as well. The main goal was to keep the weight down. The right angle adapters are connected using "Stabilent 22" which provides a connection quality of a soldered joint, and then sealed with "flowable clear silicon". Signal loss should be negligable. It will be interesting to see how it performs.

Attachments

• SAM_0010.JPG
    SAM_0010.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts