Status
Please reply by conversation.

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
Considering a move from Dish Network to DirecTV, couple of questions:

1) Can you still not combine a signal from OTA attenna with the directv signal in the same cable? Do you still need seperate coax run for OTA?
2) Are you able to "lock out" channels you don't want to see in your guide like you can on Dish?

Thanks

2. So when someone else picks up the remotes they can still tune to channels that I wanted "locked out"?

locked out? or not showing up?

there are parental controls, but i have not tried them(no kids)

or you can just not have them show up

On Dish network you can set up favorites and have them toggled through just like the "only subscribed" and "only HD" lists. What I like on Dish is the ability to completely lock out a channel so that it doesn't show up on any of these lists.

there are several ways to do it, but i hae not explored all that
i do know you can have sd duplicates not show up, i like that :)

maybe someone with more time in can explain how it works

Yes, you can create custom favorite lists and prevent some channels from showing. I have mine set up not to show any of the shopping channels and a few others.

Yes, you can create custom favorite lists and prevent some channels from showing. I have mine set up not to show any of the shopping channels and a few others.

Ok this is exactly what I want to do.

One thing the DTV boxes do when locking out adult channels that the E* boxes don't do is display "Program Locked" or something like that in the program guide instead of showing the actual program title. Even with blocking out adult channels on E*, something like "Big Boob Babes III" on Cinemax would still show up in the guide. You couldn't watch it, of course, without the passcode but you could still see it listed in the guide.

Note: I guess "Big Boob Babes II" must've had a cliffhanger ending or something necessitating a third entry in the series.

You can hide the adult channels completely on an E* box and restoring them is password protected. No need for them to show in the guide at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)