2 receivers, 1 moving cband dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Northern Ontario, Canada
I have one moving c-band dish that I've got a Traxis FTA receiver on and looped through that into my DSR-410 for W5 Hits programming.
I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to drive my dish over to AMC18 (W5) to watch that programming on my 410.
Because there is no C-band programming on that W5 bird that a generic c-band FTA will pick up I can't save a position for it on my Traxis to move to, then flip on my 410.
So what I'm doing for now is using the Traxis to move the dish over to 103 AMC1, then giving it 2 hits on the Traxis/V-box to manually nudge it 2 degrees to the west and get my signal light on the 410. I have to them kill the power on the Traxis at that point so it will leave the dish where it is (manually parked at 105W).
Imagine trying to explain this to the wifey... there's got to be a better or more straight-forward way to do this.
....any suggestions?

Also, having the 410 connected to the loop thru on the Traxis, should I expect the 410 to work normally? Meaning I can watch any channel on any polarity as per normal and not be limited because of being looped through another receiver? So far I haven't noticed a channel I can't watch.

thanks for any help...

I'll add that you may notice in my sig that I do have another 6' stationary dish just hanging around in the back yard looking pretty and that it would solve all my problems, but I really don't want to have 2 6' dishes and a 3' KU in the back yard if I don't have to.

Although, it does seem like I just can't get the signal quality with the moving dish on 105 with the DSR-410 that I could with the 6' stationary dish.

If you go the 2 dish way, everybody watches what they want. Go the 1 dish way as if anyone else want's to watch a channel on the 410, you're out of FTA. You should be able to store a sat position in the FTA rvcr anywhere, just move with the FTA rcvr, watching the 410 Q level, then store. Downside is the FTA controls the polarity,.And no FTA. Me, personally, would go with the 410 on it's own dish, and tell the better half "that's what it takes".

I thought I read somewhere that the master receiver would control polarity, but I've yet to find a channel on the 410 I can't watch.

I use a dsr 920 to move the dish and control polarity a 922 can also be had for the price of a g box. Just use splitters to slave it to the traxis (one side power passing). That way the wife and kids can watch what they want on W5, you can explor dcII fta on the generics and still have the traxis for fta. Ive seen dsr 920's with good unit ID # going for as little as twenty bucks on e bay because of the motorola panic.

mmewrench, I'm not quite sure I follow you. Does this mean I would use a splitter before the traxis input to slave a 920/922 etc to move this dish,get dcII FTA & control polarity and continue to use the loop thru on the traxis for my 410?
I do have a v-box right now to move the dish but obviously doesn't control polarity.

mmewrench, I'm not quite sure I follow you. Does this mean I would use a splitter before the traxis input to slave a 920/922 etc to move this dish,get dcII FTA & control polarity and continue to use the loop thru on the traxis for my 410?
I do have a v-box right now to move the dish but obviously doesn't control polarity.

you can transfer your subs to the 920/922 and eliminate the 410, or just use three way splitters (sadoun has them). Make sure the splitter has only one leg that passes dc power and use that for the 920/922. The other two legs would be for the traxis and the 410. The only drawback is that you would be limited to whatever satellite and polarity the 920/922 is tuned to. You wont need the loop out. I use this setup to run a 920, an azbox and a genpix all at the same time.

I follow you now, but its looking like the 410 is all were going to be able to use, so I'd hate to visit those issues down the line. Perhaps I'll just store the position for 105W on my Vbox and hit the position # on its remote to move the dish over and flip my video input to the 410.....that's just about as easy.

curious

you can transfer your subs to the 920/922 and eliminate the 410,
Oh, you can? I guess that makes sense.
I've not followed the 4Dtv/410 bandwagon, and that surprised me.
The only drawback is that you would be limited to whatever satellite and polarity the 920/922 is tuned to.
You wont need the loop out.
Assuming the 410 service stays on the air (again, I'm not following the story enough to be sure, but maybe), wouldn't the 410 be the choice for a receiver due to Svideo or maybe Component output?
I thought the 920/922's had only composite video?
No doubt, any real 4D'er will set me straight. - ;)

I can see the 920/922 being used as a dish mover.
But since it can work just as well with a voltage controlled LNBF (such as the C2, DMX242, etc.), I might suggest using a multiswitch to get multiple dual-polarity outputs for various receivers. - :rolleyes:

Anole, one issue right off the hop with the 410's is the lack of s-video/component audio. I know some of the newer 410's ( I saw one modeled as DSR-410MN) have this, but when I purchased mine from Skyvision, it was a General Instrument labeled 410 with only composite video and stereo audio. Contrary to the same documentation in the box it was said to have s-video and component audio. When I called Skyvision, I was quite ignorantly told "it is what it is". Pretty much take it or leave it.
So unless there a source for the newer versions of these 410's and we can actually get them activated then they're just as old school as the other Motorola receivers.

Oh, you can? I guess that makes sense.
I've not followed the 4Dtv/410 bandwagon, and that surprised me.
Assuming the 410 service stays on the air (again, I'm not following the story enough to be sure, but maybe), wouldn't the 410 be the choice for a receiver due to Svideo or maybe Component output?
I thought the 920/922's had only composite video?
No doubt, any real 4D'er will set me straight. - ;)

I can see the 920/922 being used as a dish mover.
But since it can work just as well with a voltage controlled LNBF (such as the C2, DMX242, etc.), I might suggest using a multiswitch to get multiple dual-polarity outputs for various receivers. - :rolleyes:

That would require multiple lnbfs in order to use to receivers on opposite polarities

In order to have hd quality outputs an hdd200 is required. The 920 has s video, and the 922 has svideo and digital audio output.

That would require multiple lnbfs in order to use to receivers on opposite polarities
Well, the C2 and the DMX242 have LNBs for both Vertical and Horizontal signals.
So, feeding those two outputs to a 2x4 multiswitch or better, would give four receivers the ability to choose either polarity.

In order to have hd quality outputs an hdd200 is required.
The 920 has s video, and the 922 has svideo and digital audio output.
So, the 920/922 have Svideo output, eh?
Well, that's better than I thought - :up
Shame you can't rely on the 410 having the 'right stuff' (svideo).

I'm gonna pass on all this hardware, but maybe the info will help guide the next person to read this thread.
Thanks, to all. - ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts