2 sattelite dishes 1 switch poor picture, perfect signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fulphil

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
As most of you guys know my story by now, I am at a loss, Is this an inline amp issue, or are we looking at a install problem. The tech sup said with the two round dishes there was no need for the 4 X 8 switch and they put a 4 X 4 switch without the power source. I am trying to get a good picture but I cannot.

Direct tv level or tier 2 tech support believe there is a need for an in line amplifier? I do not know?

Here is the issue, the picture looks like it is downloaded from the internet, The NFL network icon looks blury and then it clears like there was a power source, or burning. When the screen moves it starts to get blury. Then like when I was watching the combine the empty stands started to bleed or fire, like if someone was wearing a plaid shirt on TV.. I have tried to turn down the contrast or the brightness....but this seems to be the signal quality....please help me out.
Sincerely Phil

I have been reading all your posts and searched thru and refreshed my memory on your situation. I don't know if this will help but here you go.

1. You can run multiple tripple sats thru a multiswitch and it work properley. It has to be a 4X8 and the dish or dishes that are picking up the 110 and 119 signal have to be hooked up to the ports that say 22khz. ( you could run 4 tripplesats into one 4x8 switch if you wanted to as long as they all were pointed at the correct sat and wired to the proper port)

2. If I understand you properly you are not seeing any pixelation you are seeing a fuzzy picture with very bad black level or even squares around any line or change of color on the screen. This could be due to a couple of things, one is if your tv is a HD tv and your using a non HD reciever you are prone to have the exact type of picture problems you are describing. The other is if it is a non HD lcd (they are few and far between but I have seen them) you will have these type of problems no matter what you hook to the tv.

I know that with as many tech's as you have had come to your house there is no teeling what your install looks like by now but if you are recieving a picture and not loosing signal it is probable that the problem is in the house at the tv.

I hope that this helps.

I have an HD ready TV...............They took the 4X8 multi switch and hooked the two round dishes. Now the pics just as bad....I read this somewhere on the net

Hey all,

OK I just got DirecTV installed about a week ago. This weekend i finally had time to sit down and watch it and I was less than impressed.

Besides having to wait 3 (!!!!) Hours to get it installed by some clueless individual, I have really sh!tty picture quality. I think it's called Digital Artifacting if i'm using my lingo correctly. None of the picture has any real depth or sharpness to it. Especially when things get farther away, they become blotches on the screen. Anyone know what this is called? It ends up looking like a bad mpeg file on the computer. OK i'm exagerrating but do you know what I mean? Today i was watching Road Rules and there was one person in the foreground and another slightly in the background and the BG person was talking yet the picture wasn't clear enough to show her lips moving! Is this the way the picture is SUPPOSED to be? I was expecting EXCELLENT picture and sound...but haven't received it. What can I do?

I have had Directv for about 4 years now and I used to get artifacting really badly when there was lots of fast motion. I switched from using the RCA input to the S-Video input and that helped quite abit. I am really happy with my system for the most part. I think that kind of TV this is on also makes a difference. I have a 36" Sony Tube TV and my neighbor has a 61" Mitsubishi Projection TV and I have yet to see artifacting on his TV. It must have some filtering that my Sony does not have.

FWIW.. I was having the same problem yesterday with my H10. The picture was absolutly HORRIBLE on all SD channels. It was a VERY LOW bitrate.

I have a 48" JVC projection TV with HDMI. Any ideas?

he has the R-10 tivo unit, no HD. the problem started when they added the 119 dish for his locals.

there is an MSP tech going out to solve this for him today or tomorrow.

What I really think is, the made and brands of your TV and size does count.

When you has difference size and brands TVs at home, assume all connected with the satellite dish, hook it up and you will see difference results on each TV.

I once had 9 TVs at old house and did tested.

Well, nonetheless, my picture quality SUCKS on SD. Its very pixelated! I'll be called the ole' D* again after work. - It just started doing it a few days ago. It was pretty good before.

Just a FYI for the new customers... When you send in for the free portable DVD player, use the Portable DVD Player address on the website, not the address on the rebate form. --- They sent me a regular crappy DVD player. Round and Round D* and I go.

fulphil said:
I have had Directv for about 4 years now and I used to get artifacting really badly when there was lots of fast motion. I switched from using the RCA input to the S-Video input and that helped quite abit. I am really happy with my system for the most part. I think that kind of TV this is on also makes a difference. I have a 36" Sony Tube TV and my neighbor has a 61" Mitsubishi Projection TV and I have yet to see artifacting on his TV. It must have some filtering that my Sony does not have.

I've got a 36" sony wega non HD, circa 2000 single tuner set. It shows a great picture, but DVDs certainly show clearer. I attribute this to compression of the signal.

Anyway, How could a multiswitch impact the picture? It is the reciever that builds the picture out of the packets from the downlink.......He says he has perfect signal, which to me, indicates the switch and LNBs are performing properly.

Turn the sharpness way down; that always helps. S-video is good, but use component if you can. HDMI might be better, but it seems to make the compression look worse on my TV.

DTV's pic is now way overcompressed on almost all SD channels. Much worst now than a few weeks ago. Cable looks much better whether digital or analog.

miller24 said:
Thank god I'm not the only one noticing this. It looks REALLY bad.

I see/seen it too, but in my case, it's still better than the concast signal I used to get here. Sometimes it's quite bad though.

Yeah, the bigger the tv the more noticeable it is. I had a E* customer with an 811, he had the TV zoomed in AND the satellite zoomed in, and was watching SD espn, wondering why he had a crappy picture. I showed him how to use his tv and the 811, and then I introduced him to ESPNHD. Nobody from dish ever bothered to tell him the correct channel numbers.

I have a regular 4:3 TV, but it will stretch a 16:9 picture to fit the screen. It looks bad, IMO, but some of these high tech rednecks running around here don't like "those damned black bars" on the TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)