2 Wallys Only - What Do I Need

There is another possibility, although it is not likely the problem. It is possible that your dish is bent or warped. Recently, when I had some trees removed from my yard, the dish was hit by a falling tree branch. That broke the LNB off of its mount, however, when the dish tech installed a new LNB, he could not dial in both satellites. He had to replace the dish because it was deformed by the falling tree branch.

You could not tell by looking at the dish that it was deformed. It looked perfectly normal.

There is another possibility, although it is not likely the problem. It is possible that your dish is bent or warped. Recently, when I had some trees removed from my yard, the dish was hit by a falling tree branch. That broke the LNB off of its mount, however, when the dish tech installed a new LNB, he could not dial in both satellites. He had to replace the dish because it was deformed by the falling tree branch.

You could not tell by looking at the dish that it was deformed. It looked perfectly normal.
I've been thinking about that as well. The dish was an old leftover that I collected but the LNB is new. I noticed a "W2" on the LNB support arm as you can see in the attached picture. Does this mean that this is most likely a Western Arc reflector? No matter what I can not get 72... Only 61.5 and the strongest signal I can get is 35 but at home (just a few miles away) I get 50+. There are no line of sight issues as I am on a 25 cleared acre plot of land.
IMG_20190226_162617.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using the SatelliteGuys app!

There is no EA and WA reflector - for EA and WA the reflector is the same.

Move the dish right until you loose the signal and see if new one will show up , you may getting the 61.5 with the 72 horn.
Run check switch.

And again, get yourself some kind of meter, even the cheaply $20 one.

Reactions: JSheridan
I'd start a few "ticks" low., then move back and forth, sweeping the general direction, then come up a line at a time. It's real easy to hit the wrong Sat, even with a Sat Buddy, and think you're on the right one, which I've had give me a false ID of the 61.5. Here in Illinois, that meant I was a little low and too far to the left left

Ok... I've peaked and peaked and I have 61.5 at about 55~58 on the dish diagnostics page. No matter what I can not seem to get 72. I have swung and aimed gone higher, gone lower, and tried different skews. I am about to think it's a bad LNB. Is there any way to test the LNB to verify that it works?

Ok... I've peaked and peaked and I have 61.5 at about 55~58 on the dish diagnostics page. No matter what I can not seem to get 72. I have swung and aimed gone higher, gone lower, and tried different skews. I am about to think it's a bad LNB. Is there any way to test the LNB to verify that it works?

You're going to want to hit me, but the best way to test a bad LNBF is to use a Sat Buddy meter or do what you're doing. Maybe it's time to get a truck roll out there?

You're going to want to hit me, but the best way to test a bad LNBF is to use a Sat Buddy meter...."

No I agree with you. I actually found a Sat Buddy for sale locally and will try to pick it up tomorrow. I've aligned quite a few dishes in my day without one but this is kicking my tail. At first I thought it was an issue with the Wally not liking the LNB but now I think it's an LNB issue. I will keep everyone posted. I know the suspense is killing you!

No I agree with you. I actually found a Sat Buddy for sale locally and will try to pick it up tomorrow. I've aligned quite a few dishes in my day without one but this is kicking my tail. At first I thought it was an issue with the Wally not liking the LNB but now I think it's an LNB issue. I will keep everyone posted. I know the suspense is killing you!

When you get that Sat Buddy, grab a Firewire cable and download the software to update it

Applied Instruments - Super Buddy Satellite Meter Software Updates

All you need is the flash update, not the file transfer program that comes with it

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think the Sat Buddy and Super Buddy are two different meters.

I've gone from a Super Buddy to a Super Buddy 29 to a Turbo S2 and last month to a new XR-3 which is totally awesome with the bright graphical screen. Applied Instruments' meters are the best. :)

Something to look for.. I had a service call today for signal loss. Hooked my super buddy to the dish, and could only get the 72 sat. I was just about to go grab a new lnb, and I happened to notice that the skew arm was off center. I bent it back to straight, and the 61.5 popped right in. The arm was bent less than an inch, so not super noticeable. If you look over the top of the reflector, that arm should be pretty much perfectly perpendicular to the reflector.

And for those wondering, yes, the customer got a new dish!

Reactions: HipKat
Ok.... So I got it all up and going!!! First let me say that the Super Buddy 29 is a GREAT asset. If you are going to put in a dish and can afford one then by all means it is a HUGE help. As for solving my issue... I first put the super buddy on my dish and still could not see 72.7. I did all that I could but it just was not there. Then all of a sudden I was way off to the right and tilted the LNB up a little and BAM!!!! There was 72.7. I could not believe it! I peaked and peaked on it and then 61.5 came right in as well. In the end I had to adjust my elevation up by about 3 degrees from spec and swing way further to the right that I had ever thought but I finally found both birds. I have pointed a few dished in my day but this was a challenge for some reason. Any way...

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to help and offer ideas of what to do. Just another reason I love this site.

Ok.... So I got it all up and going!!! First let me say that the Super Buddy 29 is a GREAT asset. If you are going to put in a dish and can afford one then by all means it is a HUGE help. As for solving my issue... I first put the super buddy on my dish and still could not see 72.7. I did all that I could but it just was not there. Then all of a sudden I was way off to the right and tilted the LNB up a little and BAM!!!! There was 72.7. I could not believe it! I peaked and peaked on it and then 61.5 came right in as well. In the end I had to adjust my elevation up by about 3 degrees from spec and swing way further to the right that I had ever thought but I finally found both birds. I have pointed a few dished in my day but this was a challenge for some reason. Any way...

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to help and offer ideas of what to do. Just another reason I love this site.
That's awesome!!! Glad you got it!

Reactions: charlesrshell

Now you've got a good meter for a second career if the trooper thing doesn't work out. :biggrin

PS - Thank you for your service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)