$20 a month...

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
and we can't get the HD versions of SD channels we already receive...what's with that? CIMEMAX...and I noticed yesterday THE MOVIE CHANNEL...in HD where available...gee, must be Comcast !!!

Oh, and the Superstation package. They'd probably double their subscribers if they began carrying the HD signal.

Well... lets see if you get 30+ HD channels from Comcast.

Cinemax HD is rumored to be on the list of new HD channels to come. Right now, nobody has more HD than Dish. With seven RSNs added last week...

I am starting to get tired of hearing about DISH has more HD channels than everyone. I got DISH last August because of HD but my local Time Warner cable now has just as much relevant HD to me now with more locals in HD. The VOOM channels are what gives DISH its claim but I have found them almost worthless. I am seriously considering going back to cable. My local TWC has 25 HD channels now and none are VOOM crap.

You know Dish could have 100 HD channels and people still would not be happy!

For god sakes they just added several RSN HD feeds last week, and you know Team Summit is right around the corner and im sure there will be plenty more HD announcements there!

And we still have people saying Voom is worthless because they personally aren't interested. Yet plenty of us are.

I suppose sports are worthless because I'm not interested. :rolleyes:

I said I find the VOOM channels worthless. They have numerous repeats. I do like the sports channels as well as channels like TNT, National Geo, etc. I just think the claim of DISH and all its HD channels is bogus in my opinion because of the VOOM channels and like it or not HD sports is what is driving HD not VOOM. DISh now has no more HD than my cable company except for VOOM. In fact they have less that are relevant to me because DISH still does not have my local NBC affiliate in HD as well as MHD and NBA TV HD which is on INHD.

And we still have people saying Voom is worthless because they personally aren't interested. Yet plenty of us are.

I suppose sports are worthless because I'm not interested. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Voom channels are one of the main things that keeps me from switching to cable.

Just because you don't like them it doesn't make them irrelevant or mean that everyone shares your opinion. And to the thread starter... Alot of people do not get Cinemax or TMC hd. My local cable does not have them and also only has 3 local channels in HD (I can get 6 or 7 with my indoor antennae).

The assumption with Dish is that all of the HD offerings are Voom.

Well, voom is about 1/2 of Dish's offerings. By my count, I have 15 non-Voom channels:

UHD
HdNet
HdNet Mov
NatGeo
Discovery HD
Food HD
A&E HD
HBO
Starz
Showtime
H&G
ESPN
ESPN2
NFL
TNT

Add to that 1 RSN (7 if I wanted to pay for the Multi-Sports Pack)

and four locals, and I have 20 non-Voom channels

With voom it jumps up by another 15 voom channels, and I am up to 35 HD channels.

Do I watch all of the Voom channels? No, not all. Not big on the fashion, and art channels. But I watch many of the movie channels.

That is not my assumption. I know what DISH has because I have it. I just am tired of hearing about all the great DISH HD offerings when so many of them are VOOM and I personally dont care for VOOM. As I said My local cable has more HD channels now that I care about than DISH does. To each his own.

well then switch to cable if yours is so great

but with dish even if when you remove the voom I'd be hard press to find a cable company that has all those channels rocky lists above. I know mine doesn't

For god sakes they just added several RSN HD feeds last week,

Which for a large number of subscribers is a bust, giving them nothing that they want.

I like the VOOM channels, but for someone who doesn't, the E* HD lineup is nothing special. And it is a very good question to ask where the HD equivalents are for premium pack movie channels. After all, we are already paying double for those channels. We have paid for the channels and are paying an extra $20 for HD. Yet we still don't get the channels.

Which for a large number of subscribers is a bust, giving them nothing that they want.

I like the VOOM channels, but for someone who doesn't, the E* HD lineup is nothing special. And it is a very good question to ask where the HD equivalents are for premium pack movie channels. After all, we are already paying double for those channels. We have paid for the channels and are paying an extra $20 for HD. Yet we still don't get the channels.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the local cable company's HD lineup. It includes 11 channels, if you count HBO and Starz, doesn't include Showtime or Cinemax or The Movie Channel. They also provide the 4 local HD nets, but those are serious crap; only 2 of them have DD5.1 sound. They are more accurately labeled digital and not HD.

So with cable, I'd get 15 HD channels, with Dish, 35. Even without Voom, I'd still have 5 more channels. And with Dish I get better locals (yeah, I moved a LONG time ago ;) ) Plus I get the four crappy locals OTA, which actually brings the count to 39.

That is not my assumption. I know what DISH has because I have it. I just am tired of hearing about all the great DISH HD offerings when so many of them are VOOM and I personally dont care for VOOM. As I said My local cable has more HD channels now that I care about than DISH does. To each his own.

You keep defending your position; shut up and switch already so you will be happy. It's your decision.

I defend my position no more than you defend yours. I switched to DISH for the extra HD but have found it not to be as special as I thought. Again not all cable companies are the same either. I will give DISH credit in their HD DVR as it is superior to anything cable has. But, if I compare my local cable to DISH the only thing DISH has that my local cable does not have any more that I personally care about is NFL Network HD. My local cable company has NBA TV HD, my local NBC affiliate in HD, and MHD. When I switched to DISH my cable did not have the local FOX in HD as well as ESPN 2 HD but that has changed. I was just making the point I am tired of hearing about DISH is the HD leader because it is mostly now because of VOOM. I believe there are benefits to DISH and Cable. There is no perfect provider. I have had both and can tell you that. Customer service with my cable actually was better also. At least I dont talk to some guy from India I cant even understand. Finally, I probably will switch back early if my cable will give me a good deal to offset me breaking my contract with DISH. Again, we all have our own opinion. I have experienced both and have decided I like cable better if they can match HD channels I like. My cable also has a better picture than DISH and I am talking about HD because that is all I really watch anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)