2008 MLB Extra Innings Pricing Announced

Status
Please reply by conversation.
wrong again. directv specifically said last spring when ei started that every hd game broadcast this season would be shown in hd. i imagine the website hasn't been updated yet since most teacms haven't released their 2008 hd sked yet.

Directv says a lot of things in press releases months ahead of time that don't turn out to be entirely true. As long as the 10 hd games a week remains on the same page as the new pricing info, that's official to me.

The site has no superfan updates yet.

With the addition of the RSNs in HD on the new satellite, why wouldn't they air as many games in HD that they can off the RSNs, at the very least.

That is exactly what they are doing with NBA & NHL - much to the delight of most customers.

Last edited:
Hey, Hey!

Here is the official word from DirecTV - it went on sale today!

Goes on sale today for Early Bird offer.
Customers from last year have been auto renewed (if they had both Super Fan and MLB EI they were auto renewed on both).

Renewal price of $169

Early Bird on sale tomorrow for $179....4 payments of $44.75.

Super Fan is $50. Expected to have 40 HD games a week this year, up from 12 per week last year. That 40 number might increase as well.

Last edited:
Where did the info about how many hd games per week come from? I also don't recall them having 28 hd games per week at any time last year.

I don't see where is said 28 HD games, the post said up from 12 per week last year?

I don't see where is said 28 HD games, the post said up from 12 per week last year?

All in the wording I suppose. I assumed it meant an increase of 12 games in hd compared to last year. I still would like to know the source though.

All in the wording I suppose. I assumed it meant an increase of 12 games in hd compared to last year. I still would like to know the source though.

masterdeals said:

" up from 12 per week last year"

He did NOT say an increase of 12 in hd compared to last year.

I just hope its NOT the same source you quoted that said that the Celtics would NOT be in HD on CSN NE this year, or that the NESN would not be a 24/7 HD channel on DirecTV last year.

Actually to be fair - I didn't say anything. I just cut and paste what was sent out into the quote box :)

If we think about it though, it is simple. They will show as many games in HD as they can from the RSN's that are on the satellites. (that MLB allows them to, since they don't do dual feeds like hockey)

They also had some OTA HD broadcasts on MLB EI last year, I remember seeing MY9 from NY in HD on multiple occasions. So that could be expected too.

Needless to say, the communication is to expect 40 per wee, possibly more. Seems right in line with what I would expect.

Here is what DirecTV announced last year when they signed the new MLB EI contract, regarding HD:

" Beginning in 2008, DIRECTV will provide most, if not all, of the package in High Definition."

here is a link to the official press release:

DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

I venture to guess that they will broadcast WHATEVER games are on the 24 or so RSNs that have HD games to show on any given day!

Is there any word that this package will include "online" viewing of games like the NFL Superfan package did?

Ya know...watching the games on the internets? :)

Jimbo - you're in the Tigers home market (If I remember right) - so you CANT get the EI feed, only FSN detroit.
It would be blacked out.

This would let you get all the other games.

After the all star break it goes down to $119 or so (I think). Not quite half price. They also do another discount with about 4 weeks left for the playoff run - around $59 or so for the last month. I can't remember what they did with superfan price after the all star break.

So instead of showing the MBL EI games for your home team, (your paying for them all anyways), I would get the Tigers channel blacked out ... Ok as long as I know that.
Now, is it worth it to pay all that money just to see The Red Sox when the Tigers are not playing ?

Jimbo

Is there any word that this package will include "online" viewing of games like the NFL Superfan package did?

Ya know...watching the games on the internets? :)

That's a seperate offering through MLB.tv

You won't see it as part of MLB-EI any time soon.

So instead of showing the MBL EI games for your home team, (your paying for them all anyways), I would get the Tigers channel blacked out ... Ok as long as I know that.
Now, is it worth it to pay all that money just to see The Red Sox when the Tigers are not playing ?

Jimbo

Exactly, well, almost.

You would be able to tune the EI channel if it was the Tigers feed. If it was an opposing team fead, you would be blacked out. You must watch the local RSN feed, regardless of HD. So away games that are not HD, you couldn't watch the other feed to get HD :(

You would get all Red Sox games, except described above, when they are playing the Tigers, where you would have to use FSN. You may be in Cleveland market too? If so then same thing as with Tigers.

The confusing part is what feed Directv uses.
They generally do home team first, unless it is not easily available (like on an ota station, toronto, etc) then they'll use away. Rarely, they have neither, rarely, and the game is not available.

Also remember Saturday afternoons - you only get your local fox game of the week. No EI games until after 7pm.

Sunday night is reserved for the ESPN game of the week, but no other games are usually scheduled during that time.

The Saturday blackouts are annoying sometimes, as 1pm games would be blacked out, despite the FOX game not starting until 3:55pm (stupid time)

Exactly, well, almost.

You would be able to tune the EI channel if it was the Tigers feed. If it was an opposing team fead, you would be blacked out. You must watch the local RSN feed, regardless of HD. So away games that are not HD, you couldn't watch the other feed to get HD :(

You would get all Red Sox games, except described above, when they are playing the Tigers, where you would have to use FSN. You may be in Cleveland market too? If so then same thing as with Tigers.

The confusing part is what feed Directv uses.
They generally do home team first, unless it is not easily available (like on an ota station, toronto, etc) then they'll use away. Rarely, they have neither, rarely, and the game is not available.

Also remember Saturday afternoons - you only get your local fox game of the week. No EI games until after 7pm.

Sunday night is reserved for the ESPN game of the week, but no other games are usually scheduled during that time.

The Saturday blackouts are annoying sometimes, as 1pm games would be blacked out, despite the FOX game not starting until 3:55pm (stupid time)

This is something that need to be addressed by the people that can make those choices.

All teams that are considered your LOCAL market would be blacked out. IF DirecTV carries your local RSN, and they carry almost all of them, then you would watch it on that station.

Extra Innings is for out of market games.

So what station do the Phillies air on? Does DirecTV carry it?

There are a few that are only on cable, but I can't remember which ones other than San Diego. (Although the Padres SD4 are carried on extra innings, just not for the local market, go figure)

This is the story Will MASN Continue to Ignore HDTV? that said no word on HD.

Today Swanni has MASN: Still Working On HDTV In 2008 which says MASN is working on having some games.

beg to differ, there was a story posted at dbstalk, i'm not sure from what newspaper that said differently. and the posted story didn't come from the very unreliable swanni.

check a 10/5/2007 story in the baltimore sun written by ray frager which strongly suggested both teams would have some hd games this season.

Directv says a lot of things in press releases months ahead of time that don't turn out to be entirely true. As long as the 10 hd games a week remains on the same page as the new pricing info, that's official to me.

i'll just consider the source. beside satelliteracer at dbstalk has said the number of hd games will drastically increase this season. and, unlike you, his info is impeccable!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts