2008 Olympics

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Any chance to find some feeds for the Olympics on FTA here in the USA?

I'm getting a Twinhan so I will be able to do 4:4:2 if they end up being in that format.

I'm speaking of Ku and not C here too.

Thanks.

There is a chance, the broadcaster is going to be NBC. CCTV would have shown some coverage but they are leaving the Ku band (over US) on April 1st (No this is not an April fools joke, I wish it was, I hate to see FTA channels leave) :(

Also you mean 4:2:2 ;) Another advantage to the PC DVB card is that you can also watch HD feeds, hopefully most of the Olympics will be in HD with MPEG or AC3 Audio (No Dolby E PLEASE!).

C/P
I got some information on the updates nbc is doing this year....

They will be migrating to DVB-S2 with mpeg-4, Dolby-E for all HD and SD feeds
in addition to the c-band sd backup they will be adding a hd backup feed also on cband. at this current time I have no further information on encryption but looks mosty likely they will be using Tandberg Encoders and Decoders which I believe is Trellis 8psk and they will be using Dolby E for audio..

from what I have heard that they will have the top 100 markets switched over before olympics. and the rest of the markets finished before the november elections...

This does not effect any of the DSNG feeds... yet, my guess as more affiliates move to hd news, mpeg4 will be needed to keep up with the capacity

DVB-S2 looks to be the future, so that's not an issue. However, Trellis and Dolby E are killers :( The equipment required to keep up with such a transition would likely cost (at least) as much as a used car :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)