2008 Pennant Races

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
8/10/08***** 7 WEEKS LEFT............49 DAYS LEFT IN THE REGULAR SEASON****

With the Dogs Days now here, I thought it might be fun to track the standings on a weekly (every Sunday night) basis. As I see it RIGHT NOW only three teams are sitting pretty: Angels (they're a lock), Rays, and Cubs.

Here's a look at the pennant races with 7 weeks left:

AL EAST
Tampa Bay...... 71-46.......... -
Boston............. 67-51......... 4.5
New York.......... 63-55......... 8.5

AL CENTRAL
Chicago............... 65-51........... -
Minnesota........... 65-52........... 0.5
Detroit................. 58-59........... 7.5

AL WEST
Los Angeles........... 74-43............. -
Texas.................... 61-58............ 14 (can the Halos win this division by 20? :eek:)

AL WILDCARD
Boston................... 67-51.............. -
Minnesota.............. 65-52............ 1.5
New York.................63-55.............4
Texas......................61-58.............6.5

ALDS Matchups
IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:
(1) Los Angeles vs. (4) Boston
(2) Tampa Bay vs. (3) Chicago

NL EAST
Philadelphia...............64-53..............-
New York...................62-55..............2
Florida.......................62-56.............2.5

NL CENTRAL
Chicago....................71-47...............-
Milwaukee................67-51...............4
St. Louis...................65-55...............7

NL WEST
Arizona.....................60-58..................-
Los Angeles..............58-59.................1.5

NL WILDCARD
Milwaukee..................67-51.................-
St. Louis.....................65-55.................3
New York....................62-55...............4.5
Florida........................62-56................5

NLDS Matchups
IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:
(1) Chicago vs. (3) Arizona
(2) Philadelphia vs. (4) Milwaukee

Last edited:
Gee, I didn't think the Mets were 4 1/2 games out of the wild card. I still think they could catch the Phillies maybe not the wild card.
I don't think the Mets could beat the Cubs but I think they could beat the D-Backs. The D-Backs as well as that division isn't very good. I also think they could beat the Phils because we've beaten them this year.

Gee, I didn't think the Mets were 4 1/2 games out of the wild card. I still think they could catch the Phillies maybe not the wild card.
I don't think the Mets could beat the Cubs but I think they could beat the D-Backs. The D-Backs as well as that division isn't very good. I also think they could beat the Phils because we've beaten them this year.

Mets,
I really believe IF the Mets can qualify for the playoffs, they have as good a shot as any NL team to win the pennant (I feel that way about every NL contender except the two West teams, BTW :D).

That being said, IMO, NO ONE is beating the Angels this year. They just don't have any weaknesses.

Good point. I don't think the ANYONE could stop the Angels. Don't forget the RedSox have owned them in the playoffs. Everyone talks about the RedSox and Yankees but the Angels are always good and have beaten up the Yankees for years.

Let's not just assume nobody will stop the Angels.

I remember the 2001 Mariners being described as unstoppable and with no weaknesses.

The Mariners barely beat the Indians and fell to a fueled-by-patriotism Yanks team in the ALCS.

LA Angels look good, but again, the playoffs are a different horse . . . look at how Marlins won 2 World Series as a Wild Card team . . . I think the Angels won't make it far because of the traveling . . . to play each round where they have to travel cross country and back again is too much wear and tear . . . IMHO

Good point. I don't think the ANYONE could stop the Angels. Don't forget the RedSox have owned them in the playoffs. Everyone talks about the RedSox and Yankees but the Angels are always good and have beaten up the Yankees for years.

I know, but the Angels are 8-1 against the Red Sox this year. :eek:

It'll be a real shame if the N.L. West sends a team with about 80-83 wins to the playoffs, while a 90-win team has to stay home.

I'm afraid that's going to happen too. It's a shame, because I'd love to see a team like the Marlins (again, I LOVE their young talent) in there over ANY team from the West.

Listen, my Mets are giving it the old college try . . . they might have Livan Hernandez and they are eying others . . . Byrd, Arroyo, and for some speed, Juan Pierre . . . exciting week for us Mets fans unless Minaya screws it up . . . no playoffs, Minaya will be fired! If he succeeds, don't worry about eh NL West having someone :)

Listen, my Mets are giving it the old college try . . . they might have Livan Hernandez and they are eying others . . . Byrd, Arroyo, and for some speed, Juan Pierre . . . exciting week for us Mets fans unless Minaya screws it up . . . no playoffs, Minaya will be fired! If he succeeds, don't worry about eh NL West having someone :)

Hernandez, Byrd, or Arroyo could help, because they've all had some success pitching in pennant races/postseason.

I don't think Hernandez is available. I could've sworn that the Rockies picked him up. I'm not sure but I think he isn't available.

I think the Angels won't make it far because of the traveling . . . to play each round where they have to travel cross country and back again is too much wear and tear . . . IMHO

That doesn't hold water....
The Angels are the team with the BEST ROAD record in the MLB, they are 38-21 on the road, the rest of the potential playoff teams are no wheres close.

Jimbo

I don't think Hernandez is available. I could've sworn that the Rockies picked him up. I'm not sure but I think he isn't available.

You're right, the Rockies claimed Hernandez off waivers on August 6.

The Mets lose and the Brewers win. Mets now 5.5 behind the Brew Crew for the wildcard and 2.5 (tied with the Marlins) behind the Phillies.

IMO, the next week is crucial for the Mets playoff hopes. The Phillies play seven (4 in LA and 3 in SD) on the West Coast, while the Mets are on the road for seven in Washington (3) and Pittsburgh (4). If the Mets can't pick up a game or two between now and next Monday night.........their season might be doomed.

Your right. The Mets at least HAVE TO WIN 5 OUT OF 7 against the Nats and Pirates and wish the Phils stumble. I mean they have to take advantage of these games. Boy, that 10 game winning streak would look good now.

I don't think the cubs are sitting pretty. They have had
the easier schedule this season and the pretty soon that
is going to change as the brewers will have a very favorable
schedule down the stretch, with sub .500 teams and a ton
of home games in sept. Plus they still play the cubs 6 more
times.

I don't think the cubs are sitting pretty. They have had
the easier schedule this season and the pretty soon that
is going to change as the brewers will have a very favorable
schedule down the stretch, with sub .500 teams and a ton
of home games in sept. Plus they still play the cubs 6 more
times.

With all due respect, the Cubs destroyed the Brewers on their homefield four straight when the Brewers were white hot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Brewers A LOT, but the Cubs, at least currently, ARE in good shape.

The Red Sox beat the White Sox and the Twins shutout the Yankees, so the Twins are back in first place in the GREAT AL Central race. The Yankees are in SERIOUS trouble, they fall 9 games back in the East and 5 games back in the wildcard race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)