2009-10 Hot Stove Baseball

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4744955"]Chicago White Sox acquire Juan Pierre from Los Angeles Dodgers - ESPN Chicago[/ame]

Sox, Yanks to open 2010 on Sun. night

By: Alex Speier

The Red Sox and Yankees will open the 2010 Major League Baseball season in the featured Sunday night game on Sunday, April 4. The two teams last opened the season in 2005, following the Red Sox' first World Series triumph in 86 years.

So who draws the Opening Night assignment against the Pinstripes?

Beckett? Lester? Lackey?

My money is on Lester...............

The Red Sox and Yankees will open the 2010 Major League Baseball season in the featured Sunday night game on Sunday, April 4. The two teams last opened the season in 2005, following the Red Sox' first World Series triumph in 86 years.

I don't get why this game is played at Fenway. It should be at the stadium of the defending champions. Same thing happened in 2005, when the Red Sox were defending champions the two teams opened at Yankee Stadium. Strange.

Sandra

I don't get why this game is played at Fenway. It should be at the stadium of the defending champions. Same thing happened in 2005, when the Red Sox were defending champions the two teams opened at Yankee Stadium. Strange.

Sandra

I'm with you Sandra!

Besides, there's something that's just not right about Opening "Day" at Fenway being a night game.

Yeah, the first game should be in Cincinnati. :D

Absolutely, Ramy! :)

That was the Reds tradition and should not have been taken away!

Just like I don't think Thanksgiving should ever be taken away from the Lions.

Beckett? Lester? Lackey?

here's what I'd like to see. John Lackey on the hill, Jeter steps up to the plate as the first batter of the season. Lackey buzzes a inside high fastball inches away from jeter's ugly mug for ball one. Lackey's next pitch is behind Jeter by a foot to the backstop and umps immediately toss lackey. Jon Lester enters and strikes out Jeets on three straight pitches. Tone set for the 2010 rivalry.

Absolutely, Ramy! :)

That was the Reds tradition and should not have been taken away!

Just like I don't think Thanksgiving should ever be taken away from the Lions.

I think they had the first game all the way up until the mid-90's when ESPN took over some contracts.

I think they had the first game all the way up until the mid-90's when ESPN took over some contracts.

In fact, IIRC, the first year that ESPN decided to open the season the Sunday night before the traditional Monday Opening Day, the Sunday Night game was in Cincinnati, but Marge decided not to recognize it as Opening Night, and all the festivities and ceremonies that went along with Cincinnati's traditional opening of the season were held the next day, as they should have been...I can't remember the year, but it was early-mid 90's like you said!!!...:eek:

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is.......................Adrian Gonzalez!!! :)

I realize that the Padres would want Clay Buchholz and a top tier prospect (see: Ryan Westmoreland, Casey Kelly, Ryan Kalish or Josh Reddick), BUT Gonzo is one of the most underrated sluggers in the game. And at 27 years old, he would solidify the middle of the Sox lineup for years to come!

I'd hate to see Buchholz go, but with the signing of John Lackey our rotation is stronger than ever!

Think about it Santa, the Sox lineup would look something like this:

CF- Ellsbury
2B- Pedroia
1B- Gonzalez
C- Martinez
3B- Youkilis
DH- Ortiz/Lowell
RF- Drew
SS- Scutaro
LF- Cameron/Hermida

AND our rotation would be:

Lester
Beckett
Lackey
Matsuzaka
Wakefield

Our bullpen is still one of the best in the game, and our bench is deeper than last year.

All we need Santa, is that big bopper in the middle of the lineup!

If you deliver Gonzo under Red Sox Nation's tree, we won't ask for anything else.........until the trade deadline. ;):)

Sincerely,
BillD1984

Beckett? Lester? Lackey?

Lacky vs Sabathia.

Yup, when ESPN started opening the season on Sunday night, everything changed.
I thought that MLB should NOT allow that to happen, but I'm not paying the money to make those desigins.

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is.......................Adrian Gonzalez!!! :)

I realize that the Padres would want Clay Buchholz and a top tier prospect (see: Ryan Westmoreland, Casey Kelly, Ryan Kalish or Josh Reddick), BUT Gonzo is one of the most underrated sluggers in the game. And at 27 years old, he would solidify the middle of the Sox lineup for years to come!

I'd hate to see Buchholz go, but with the signing of John Lackey our rotation is stronger than ever!

Think about it Santa, the Sox lineup would look something like this:

CF- Ellsbury
2B- Pedroia
1B- Gonzalez
C- Martinez
3B- Youkilis
DH- Ortiz/Lowell
RF- Drew
SS- Scutaro
LF- Cameron/Hermida

AND our rotation would be:

Lester
Beckett
Lackey
Matsuzaka
Wakefield

Our bullpen is still one of the best in the game, and our bench is deeper than last year.

All we need Santa, is that big bopper in the middle of the lineup!

If you deliver Gonzo under Red Sox Nation's tree, we won't ask for anything else.........until the trade deadline. ;):)

Sincerely,
BillD1984

How about the other Holliday as well !

Adrian Gonzalez is a prototypical "right guy, wrong team" player.

He could walk down the streets of San Diego, and few people would recgonize him, ala Jason Bay when he was in Pittsburgh.