2009-10 Hot Stove Baseball

I'm still not sure why the Tigers are trying to trade thier BEST players .....

Jackson, Granderson even Cabrera has been mentioned ....

Maybe they liked losing over 100 games a year :rolleyes:

Yes, its a fire sale even though they wont admit it, they still had good attendence last year dispite the economy. Appears the deal is real close, about done

Yanks, Tigers, DBacks make 3-way deal

INDIANAPOLIS -- Curtis Granderson is headed to the Yankees, but the Tigers also appear to have made out well in the first big trade of the winter meetings.

The Yankees, Tigers and Diamondbacks have completed a complicated three-team deal that also sends All-Star pitcher Edwin Jackson to the Diamondbacks, sources told CBSSports.com. Granderson goes to New York, Jackson and Ian Kennedy (from the Yankees) go to Arizona, and the Tigers get four players who could all open the 2010 season on their major-league roster.

The Tigers get outfielder Austin Jackson and left-handed reliever Phil Coke from the Yankees, and get pitchers Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth from the Diamondbacks.

"I like every one of the four," said one rival major-league executive who has seen all the players. "What a haul."

The Tigers, who play in a city with a struggling economy and are saddled with several bad contracts, begin a transformation that they hope will keep them competitive in 2010, while setting them up to be in much better shape in 2011.

In Granderson, the Yankees get a left-handed hitting outfielder who some scouts believe could approach 40 home runs in Yankee Stadium. They would lessen the need to re-sign Johnny Damon, or put a lot more pressure on Damon to accept a shorter and cheaper deal if he wants to remain.

The Tigers get a starter to replace Edwin Jackson (Scherzer), and an outfielder to replace Granderson (Austin Jackson).

The Diamondbacks get a more proven starting pitcher (Edwin Jackson), who has 27 wins the last two years and could thrive in the National League West.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Curtis Granderson is headed to the Yankees, but the Tigers also appear to have made out well in the first big trade of the winter meetings.

The Yankees, Tigers and Diamondbacks have completed a complicated three-team deal that also sends All-Star pitcher Edwin Jackson to the Diamondbacks, sources told CBSSports.com. Granderson goes to New York, Jackson and Ian Kennedy (from the Yankees) go to Arizona, and the Tigers get four players who could all open the 2010 season on their major-league roster.

The Tigers get outfielder Austin Jackson and left-handed reliever Phil Coke from the Yankees, and get pitchers Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth from the Diamondbacks.

"I like every one of the four," said one rival major-league executive who has seen all the players. "What a haul."

The Tigers, who play in a city with a struggling economy and are saddled with several bad contracts, begin a transformation that they hope will keep them competitive in 2010, while setting them up to be in much better shape in 2011.

In Granderson, the Yankees get a left-handed hitting outfielder who some scouts believe could approach 40 home runs in Yankee Stadium. They would lessen the need to re-sign Johnny Damon, or put a lot more pressure on Damon to accept a shorter and cheaper deal if he wants to remain.

The Tigers get a starter to replace Edwin Jackson (Scherzer), and an outfielder to replace Granderson (Austin Jackson).

The Diamondbacks get a more proven starting pitcher (Edwin Jackson), who has 27 wins the last two years and could thrive in the National League West.

Thanks for your solid play in the outfield Mr. Granderson, should be an intresting "Tiger Fest" in January

Tigers got Austin Jackson, here's hoping he's the real thing, you never know with yankees prospects. Phil Coke was a good move, had not heard about him coming till later tonight.

You mentioned something about them having a bunch of bad contracts .... the guys they traded were NONE of them, so they got rid of a few of RELIABLE and YOUNG guys, but hung on to thier BAD contracts.

You will be sorely missed Mr. Granderson.

Aas far as pitching goes, we had a very good 1-2 punch with Verlander and Jackson, now that punch is gone, they have JV and a bunch of number 3-4 pitchers, hope they plan on getting another top of the rotation guy, or they won't last long this year.

The Yankees get a solid player, and they didn't have to break the bank.

Tigers KEEP all thier BAD CONTRACTS ....
Thought that was the idea, to unload some of them, Granderson and Jackson were NEITHER of the bad contracts.

Normally you would get rid of one of them as part of the package, but not the Tigers .... then again, they don't seem to care ....... all they want is to drop payroll.

Wonder if they are attempting to finish what they started in '03 when they went for the Single season LOSS record and came close, maybe this year they will get it ....
120 or there about is what they are shooting for.

I was really looking forward to baseball season, hoping tey would make a few more moves to strengthen the line up and play with the big boys, but that is a pipe dream it looks like.....
I'm really tired of the Tigers picking up PROSPECTS, once they start to do something they trade them away.
Will they EVER decide to try to play with the big boys and STAY there.

I know they are not the only team to do this, but it seems like once they get rolling in the right direction, instead of improving they decide to dump everyone.

They had NO reason to get rid of Jackson, other than he had another year and BORIS is his agent, thats it, the contract was fine and he was young.
They always talk about getting younger, well Granderson is 29 and Jackson is 26.
They got rid of NONE of the OLDER GUYS....... yet.

Sort of Hot Stove news, from a media perspective:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4725366"]Peter Gammons leaving ESPN baseball after 20 years - ESPN[/ame]

Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN following the end of baseball's winter meetings this week.

Gammons said he is joining MLB Network. In addition, he will become an analyst and reporter for NESN, the regional sports network in New England affiliated with the owners of the Boston Red Sox.

I'm still not sure why the Tigers are trying to trade thier BEST players .....

Jackson, Granderson even Cabrera has been mentioned ....

Maybe they liked losing over 100 games a year :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like a money move. Just like the Indians have been doing. The economy is in the tank and owners of these mid-market teams have no choice than to get what they can for their budding stars before they leave to the highest bidder and get nothing in return.

Reason #562 on why the MLB needs a salary cap.

Do you really think that Austin Jacksons going to step right in and play better than Granderson ?
If he was that good the yanks would not have let him go.

I've never heard of the pitcher from the diamondbacks.
Schlereth is Marks son, he was a rookie last year, so he's not proven either.

Tigers got a bunch of maybe's for Granderson and Jackson, and to believe some have said the Tigers made out on the deal.

I for one am tired of the Wait for NEXT YEAR theory.

Sounds to me like a money move. Just like the Indians have been doing. The economy is in the tank and owners of these mid-market teams have no choice than to get what they can for their budding stars before they leave to the highest bidder and get nothing in return.

Reason #562 on why the MLB needs a salary cap.

Only problem is, they didn't save any money, Granderson was not breaking the bank.
They still have those contracts ......
I expect more moves, if not then it will be a very dismal summer .....
As much as I hate the yankees, at least I can have someone to watch on thier team now.

Last edited:
Lowell to Rangers

Mike Lowell going to Rangers.

Report: Red Sox would acquire catcher

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Boston Red Sox have reached a preliminary agreement to trade third baseman Mike Lowell to the Texas Rangers for catcher Max Ramirez, according to a report on FoxSports. The deal is contingent, according to the report, on the players passing physicals and approval by Red Sox owners of absorbing a considerable chunk of Lowell's $12 million salary.

Officials on both teams failed to respond to requests for comment.

A cash transfer of that magnitude would also require approval from the commissioner's office.

Passing a medical exam may not be the formality it is in many trades. Lowell, who turns 36 on Feb. 24, underwent surgery after the 2008 season for a torn labrum in his right hip, which drastically affected his mobility in the field last season. Lowell played in 119 games, but missed a dozen games when we went on the DL because of a strained hip.

Lowell also missed nearly a month at the start of the 2008 season with what was called a sprained left thumb.

Lowell, who attended David Ortiz's charity golf tournament in the Dominican Republic last weekend, said at the time that he had not "missed a single moment of sleep" because of rumors that the Red Sox -- uncertain that he would make a full recovery -- were planning to trade him. Lowell, who reiterated that doctors had told him he would require a year to heal, said he felt much better than he had felt all season.

The Rangers, if the deal goes through, would use Lowell as a right-handed designated hitter and part-time first baseman, a position he has never played in the big leagues. Lowell has played just under 1,500 games (1,470) at third base, winning the Gold Glove in 2005.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona, asked last week about flipping Lowell to first and returning Kevin Youkilis to third, rejected that idea.

"I'm not for it," Francona said. "The guy has played third base his whole life. He could do it, but I don't know if it's as easy as people think, and I don't know if it's in his best interests."

Francona said moving Lowell to first base could actually increase the stress on his surgically repaired right hip, since it would introduce a whole different set of movements at a new position.

Ramirez, a 25-year-old native of Venezuela, was originally signed by the Braves and has played parts of the last two seasons with the Rangers. He is considered a better hitter than catcher.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4730311"]Report: Boston Red Sox trade Mike Lowell to Texas Rangers for Max Ramirez - ESPN[/ame]

Lackey agrees to 5 year deal with Red Sox.

Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Buchholz/Dice-K/Wakefield....................OH MY!!!! :up

WOW!!!!! :eek:

Phils, Ms, Blue Jays Agree On Halladay-Cliff Lee Blockbuster

By Tim Dierkes [December 14 at 3:17pm CST]
3:17pm: In an article, Heyman notes that Halladay's extension "is expected to be a formality." He appears certain that an agreement has been reached on a Phillies/Jays/Mariners deal that will net the Phils Halladay. Lee's agent Darek Braunecker hasn't heard anything, tweets Tyler Kepner of the New York Times.
2:56pm: Heyman tweets that a three-way deal has been agreed to with Halladay going to the Phillies and Lee to the Mariners. The Phillies are now trying to sign Halladay to an extension. However, in a subsequent tweet, Heyman apologizes for a quick trigger finger and says that while the Ms are confirmed as the third team he is checking to verify they'll get Lee. And MLB.com's Noah Coslov has no confirmed deal from Lee or the Ms.
2:36pm: Morosi tweets that MLB hasn't granted the Phils permission to negotiate with Halladay yet, but a deal "looks close."
1:49pm: CSN's Jim Salisbury reports today that the Phillies are "actively talking" about a contract extension with Roy Halladay's agent, according to two baseball sources. One of those sources told Salisbury Doc is likely to take a physical with the Phillies this week. The Philadelphia Inquirer's Andy Martino adds that Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.
What's more, Salisbury writes of "indications that pitcher Cliff Lee could be traded." SI's Jon Heyman wrote today that Lee would take no discount to sign an extension. Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports write that "a three-team blockbuster that would send Halladay to the Phillies and Lee to another club is under discussion." They add that the Mariners have "contemplated dealing for Lee in recent days," but a straight Phillies-Jays trade is also possible. The writers say these complex talks involve the Phils receiving money to put toward Halladay's $15.75MM salary next year.
Questions: would Halladay command a C.C. Sabathia contract, even though he'll be 33 in May? (The New York Post's Joel Sherman suggests Halladay would take less to play for the Phillies). And which teams could match up for Lee aside from the Mariners? The Angels, Dodgers, Brewers, Rangers, Rays, and Red Sox were linked to Lee in July trade talks, but things have changed since then.

WOW!!!!! :eek:

Phils, Ms, Blue Jays Agree On Halladay-Cliff Lee Blockbuster

By Tim Dierkes [December 14 at 3:17pm CST]
3:17pm: In an article, Heyman notes that Halladay's extension "is expected to be a formality." He appears certain that an agreement has been reached on a Phillies/Jays/Mariners deal that will net the Phils Halladay. Lee's agent Darek Braunecker hasn't heard anything, tweets Tyler Kepner of the New York Times.
2:56pm: Heyman tweets that a three-way deal has been agreed to with Halladay going to the Phillies and Lee to the Mariners. The Phillies are now trying to sign Halladay to an extension. However, in a subsequent tweet, Heyman apologizes for a quick trigger finger and says that while the Ms are confirmed as the third team he is checking to verify they'll get Lee. And MLB.com's Noah Coslov has no confirmed deal from Lee or the Ms.
2:36pm: Morosi tweets that MLB hasn't granted the Phils permission to negotiate with Halladay yet, but a deal "looks close."
1:49pm: CSN's Jim Salisbury reports today that the Phillies are "actively talking" about a contract extension with Roy Halladay's agent, according to two baseball sources. One of those sources told Salisbury Doc is likely to take a physical with the Phillies this week. The Philadelphia Inquirer's Andy Martino adds that Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel.
What's more, Salisbury writes of "indications that pitcher Cliff Lee could be traded." SI's Jon Heyman wrote today that Lee would take no discount to sign an extension. Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports write that "a three-team blockbuster that would send Halladay to the Phillies and Lee to another club is under discussion." They add that the Mariners have "contemplated dealing for Lee in recent days," but a straight Phillies-Jays trade is also possible. The writers say these complex talks involve the Phils receiving money to put toward Halladay's $15.75MM salary next year.
Questions: would Halladay command a C.C. Sabathia contract, even though he'll be 33 in May? (The New York Post's Joel Sherman suggests Halladay would take less to play for the Phillies). And which teams could match up for Lee aside from the Mariners? The Angels, Dodgers, Brewers, Rangers, Rays, and Red Sox were linked to Lee in July trade talks, but things have changed since then.

I was just about to post this, you beat me too it. :D

Not that I want them to or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox didn't starting shopping Beckett for a bat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)